The Hill is NORML…

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director August 6, 2008

logo.gif

Editors at The Hill asked me to write a blog post regarding the recently introduced cannabis decriminalization bill in Congress, HR 5843. My blog post is squished in between Rep. Duncan Hunter’s and Sen. Kenneth Salazar’s posts.

There is a comment section as well…have at it and let policymakers and their staff know what NORML supporters want in the way of a functional cannabis policy.

Along with Roll Call and The Politico, The Hill is widely read by Congressional staffers and the national media. Washington Times columnist and San Diego radio show host Rick Amato interviews me this evening at midnight (eastern) on the topic of cannabis decriminalization.

28 Responses to “The Hill is NORML…”

1. Carson Stewart says:

I tried to leave a comment on The Hill, but it didn’t go through. They still indicate zero comments. Maybe they are just slow to accept.

2. Andrew Lang says:

We gotta stop this drug war ….who is the government to tell us that we cant make the safer choice of smoking marijuana rather than alchohaul….Please pass this bill I know Tons of people 100’s if not housands who agree we gotta stop this DEA RAIDING NON-sense if we want marijuana she should be able to have it and stay out DEA

3. I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations – one can either do this or do that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it – you will regret both.SorenKierkegaardSoren Kierkegaard

4. I read the article in the hill and the only thing I noticed is that among the states the have decriminalized marijuana that California was missing in the article, is this an oversite?

5. Justin says:

I hope everday that at least one of those bills introduced will pass. Prohibition of Cannabis MUST end. 72 years is too long to waste our tax dollars on archaic policies wrought out of prejudice, corrupt buisness deals and shady legislators. Over 5,000 years of documented cannabis use, not one single death, made illegal within the lifespan of a single human being. The money from taxed cannabis sales should be used to establish free universal health care…oh wait that’d be two good things at once…I think a congressman’s head just exploded.

6. Dale says:

The so called Government needs to remember that in the first line of OUR U.S. CONSTITUTION it states WE THE PEOPLE. We are the people(the common mid-class American) who want to decide our own destiny. We are to scared to grow for personal use so that we don’t have to go to scumbag drug dealers. The younger generation is the the future not the older politicians in office who have no idea what is best for Americans, but would rather fill their own pockets instead of the rest of the country. Thanks Allen.

7. clint winger says:

It’s about time someone introduced a bill that gives protection to sick and dying people and that would allow adults to make up they’re own mind on how they choose to relax in the privacy of thier own home. I’ve drank beer most of my adult life in moderation and believe whole heartedly it should be my choice to use or not use marijuana. You might want to let people know that medical marijuana is on the ballot this november in michigan. People need to know it’s on there so they can get out and vote. I’ve talked to several doctors and nurses that are all for it , but had no idea it was on there. Including optometrists who deal with glaucoma patients like myself, that could use it to lower thier eye pressure.

8. will says:

Thanks for speaking on behalf of the citizens around the usa that support decriminalization as well as legalization of marijuana. Hope the show went well

9. It will lower crime rate, and jails will be less polluted. You could sell weed like the government sells cigarettes, thats how you can tax it. Weed is just something you do on your free time. Basically weed just makes you sleepy, happy, and hungry. DECRIMINALIZE MARIJUANA!!!!!!

The United States would be a better place.

10. Bruno says:

Good luck on the show, Mr. St. Pierre.

I wish I could listen to it.