Over 17,000 Cannabis-related Studies! Who Knew?!

• by Allen St. Pierre, Former NORML Executive Director September 12, 2008

Ever get the feeling right after a speech, presentation or debate that you didn’t include everything you wanted to?

After a few hundred public debates on behalf of NORML since 1991 in support of alternatives to cannabis prohibition, that feeling apparently never subsides…and it didn’t after a debate last week at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania with Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed.

Somewhere in the course of the formal questions, answers and rebuttals (and of course, rebuttals of rebuttals!), Mr. Freed drew upon the standard, oft-trotted, ONDCP-fed course of reasoning that 1) medical cannabis use is not accepted by health trade lobby associations like the American Medical Association, American Cancer Society and MS Society of the US (Ironically, the British MS Society supports patient access to medicinal cannabis products), and 2) there are few credible studies that look at cannabis, therefore this is proof-positive that cannabis is not a valuable, non-toxic and remarkably safe therapeutic to use under a physician’s care.

In my brief rebuttal I made two points, 1) there are hundreds of health and medical associations that support patient access to cannabis (and that, ironically the AMA was the one organization in the 1930s that actually stood up against the federal government’s efforts to create cannabis prohibition because of the plant’s clear therapeutic qualities), and 2) that cannabis (and cannabinoids) has been studied to the extreme, with over 14,000 studies on record.

In retrospect, however, I was wrong.

There are not 14,000 cannabinoid-related studies on record. Currently, there are over 17,000 according to a newly released scientific paper I failed to read before the debate!

Doh!

Note to self: Update your debate rhetoric and media talking points!

However, it is not like this one point changed the outcome of what was a well-attended, civil and informative debate.

Over the years I’ve come to learn that when it comes to debating the issue of ‘legalizing’ cannabis on a college or university campus, proponents of Prohibition and the status quo lost the debate long before they’ve hit the stage. Frankly, I think a scarecrow mounted at a podium representing reformers would win the debate anyways as college students are the most anti-prohibitionistic and pro-cannabis law reform segment of the population in America (and Canada, Europe, Australia, etc…).

NORML and I thank the students and faculty of Dickinson College for hosting a debate on the future of cannabis prohibition, and for District Attorney David Freed for his willingness to publicly discuss and debate the topic of cannabis law reform.

39 responses to “Over 17,000 Cannabis-related Studies! Who Knew?!”

1. Rick says:

And law enforcement wonders why they do not get respect.

2. the independent says:

Isn’t it true that cannabis has been studied more than the atom?

3. IMHO, WE NEED TO GET POT RESCHEDULED THAT IS A 2 STEP APPROACH STEP 1 GET THE MEDICAL STUDIES FOR GLACOMA AND CHEMO-NAUSEA ETC. DONE BY TOPNOTCH UNIVERSITIES. tHIS IS WHERE STEP 2 COMES IN THESE CAN’T GET DONE AND IT HAS BEEN TRIED BECAUSE THE DEA WONT ALLOW LICENCES TO THESE PLACES TO CONDUCT THE STUDIES. STEP 2 IS FOR CONGRESS MAKE A LAW THAT ALLOWS UNIVERSITIES THE RIGHT TO GROW POT FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF CONDUCTING THESE STUDIES. ACTUALLY STEP 2 IS STEP 1 GET CONGRESS TO PAS BILL ALLOWING THE STUDY AND GROWING MARIJUANA WITHOUT INTERFERENCE FROM ONDCP AND DEA. INCLUDING THE SUPPLY OF POT WHICH NEVER HAS BEEN THE MEDICINAL QUALITY REQUIRED FOR REALISTIC STUDY. THEY WOULD GIVE US 7% THC POT AND THEN WHEN IT SHOWED NO POSITIVE EFFECT, SAY” WE TOLD YOU SO.

4. Tom says:

That is all we need is more potheads in America.

5. Tom says:

I think a good question to ask all of you that think marijuana use should be legalized is at what point should it be controled? For example what happens if it is legalized and you have individuals driving around all Jap eyed and they create hectic conditions on the road ways? Wtf are you going to do it is legal, I mean it isn’t like alcohol you cant just give a test when you pull someone over to detect DUI. All the person would have to say is “oh Im just tired” and say that they smoked a few days ago, so that is why the test is positive. I mean there are other factors to take into account as to why this drug is not legalized.

6. Tim says:

Is there video anywhere of this debate?

7. Allen St. Pierre says:

Hello Tom,

Whether or not there will be more ‘pot heads’ under tax-n-control as compared to prohibition is not the crucible question.

I suggest your obvious concerns are increasingly addressed by existing laws and technology (especially emerging roadside impairment testing) as well as evolving social mores and values that trend towards MORE not less social and legal controls (ie, DUI, open container laws, age restrictions, etc…)

There are reason that cannabis has remained illegal for over 70 years, however, you’ve not cited one….

The Five Pillars Of Cannabis Prohibition can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/62jcmv

8. Allen St. Pierre says:

Hello Tim, Asemili, et al

Thanks for your inquiry about the recent Dickinson debate being available for the public via the Internet. I’ve contacted the school and inquired about any applicable links to audio or video files for the general public to download.

If they supply them, NORML will post them ASAP.

9. Jeremy says:

The answer to your question from my aspect and patient,
      My opinion for what its worth is (1)- Cannibus should not specifically legalized for recreational use, That is the war we are fighting-Legalize MEDICINAL CANNIBUS.
      As for the recreational user, That is his or hers preference to break THE SO CALLED LAW…(2)- A 1992 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration review of the role of drug use in fatal accidents reported, “There was no indication that cannabis itself was a cause of fatal crashes” among drivers who tested positive for the presence of the drug.About the only kind of auto accident that might occur under the influence of Cannibus, is somebody might hit you in the bumper cause your goin to slow…LOL
      I can speak for me and me only. But my story is,I am (was) a pretty typical guy with a very loving and supporting family, and the Pride and Joy of my life My 2 year old son Jacob. 3 years ago,i suffered a severe spinal cord injury, and didnt know if I would ever even get out of the hospital. I did obviously. Finally coming around, my neurosurgeon started refering me to all these pain management doctors, neurologist, psych evaluators, etc. and so on. The next thing I know, I am taking in excess of 24, yes 24 pills a day, so liberally prescribed by all these doctors. just to name a few 160mg. of oxycontin, 3 times a day, soma, hydrocodone for “breakthrough pain”, xanax, prozac,Morphine 60 mg. twice a day. I am now very impressed to say the least with the effect of medicinal cannibus, because it takes away some of the pain and lets me do more then i coud when i was DOPE F*****! I am off of all the meds now going on 6 months. and can actually carry a decent conversation with people without almost falling asleep. Or trying to go out with your family to eat, and have to leave , cause you fell asleep in your plate. How do you feel knowing there are people taking all of the meds I listed above, and then some, and operating motor vehicles? Those drugs are legal IF PRESCRIBED BUY A DOCTOR… Do you see What I am trying to say? by the way i hope you dont take my comments wrong in anyway, Thank God we live somewhwere that we can speak our voices and opinions…

I am,
      Respectfully yours,
      J. Bibby

10. mark wachter says:

I have MS

I have been to my doctor and have asked him to reccomend something other than marijuana –  He cannot

The MS society of both England & Canada acknowlegde that marijuana DOES have medical value – the MS society of America does not

It would be funny If it was not for the fact that MS HURTS.

Lets start telling the TRUTH – PLEASE!