Will Fayetteville Become The Next City To ‘Deprioritize’ Pot?

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director October 28, 2008

Marijuana law reformers continue to take the phrase “all politics is local” to heart.

Over the past decade, grassroots activists in numerous towns and municipalities — including Seattle, Washington; Columbia, Missouri; Santa Cruz, Oakland, San Francisco, and Santa Barbara, California; and Denver, Colorado — have successfully campaigned for local ordinances making the enforcement of pot possession laws their city’s lowest law enforcement priority.

This year, a coalition of activists — led by the University of Arkansas chapter of NORML and the Alliance for Drug Reform Policy — have placed a similar proposal on the ballot in Fayetteville, Arkansas (population: 67,000).

If passed, the city will become the second Arkansas municipality in recent years to enact marijuana ‘deprioritization.’ (NORML’s state affiliate championed a similar measure in Eureka Springs in 2006.)

In the days leading up to November 4th, most Americans attention will be directed toward Washington, DC and the Presidential election race. But while we remain focused on national politics let’s not forget about the significant changes taking place locally — one community at a time.

NORML applauds the work of Sensible Fayetteville and the efforts of other local — and often unrecognized activists — not only what they’ve already achieved, but also (and especially) for what they will accomplish in the future.

18 Responses to “Will Fayetteville Become The Next City To ‘Deprioritize’ Pot?”

1. David says:

In Austin TX the chief of police was on the radio stating that they plan to enforce the new Texas law, which the officer will issue a ticket for 2 Oz or less instead of sending pot smokers to jail. It is a step in the right direction and more people than ever see the hypocrisy in the laws against marijuana.

2. Matthew says:

I just want to say, thanks!

3. Ryan Denham, Executive Director of Sensible Fayetteville, will be my interview guest on today’s Daily Audio Stash (Wed, Oct 29).

4. raaaawwwrrrimadino!!! says:

hopefully this passes… i live in houston but have heard the same talk.

5. Libertarian Mac says:

Great video! An example to us all. YES WE CAN!

6. Chris says:

I love it! Great ad! I like the way they had people from all walks of life. Maybe the best ad i have seen.

7. Mikmo6 says:

I like the wide variety of professions represented by the people in this video. I sure would like to see a WHOLE lot more cities doing the same thing, making pot offenses the absolute LOWEST PRIORITY — in fact no priority at all!!!

8. Brinna says:

I love to see this kind of local activism. We need more of it! Kudos to Fayetteville and the producers and participants in this spot.

9. Joseph says:

What is the exact law in TX? I currently live in conroe, tx and would like to know. I’ve been try to save enough money to move to a state where i wouldn’t get a second strike and be considered a felon. I’ve already been arrested once in Lousisiana witch i belive has the strongest laws on pot.

10. Watch Zeitgeist the movie says:

What exactly do these ordinance achieve? I mean it’s great go head I’d vote for it, but how do we gauge if police are following the ordinance? If police ignore the ordinance what then?

In my case the cops lied,manufactured evidence,threatened witnesses,seized and stole thousands of dollars of property from my home. when I say stole I mean took home with them as apposed to taking it to their evidence lock up as part of the seizure.
      While in county they told me outright it was just business and if I would give them someone bigger they would return my seized property. So seeing as they do pot bust as pretext for departmental/governmental/personal theft you can pass as many priority ordinances as you want, but when it comes right down to it there is no money to be made catching rape-est and murders.

In fact Not catching people like that helps them justify their ever expanding budgets. After all if they said they needed a thousand new officers to bust potheads they wouldn’t get them would they.