• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director November 1, 2008

Renowned medical researcher Donald Abrams, MD (and the Positive Health Program of the UCSF Medical Service @ San Francisco General Hospital) is seeking a few more patients for a government-funded study that features patients who consume cannabis.*

Patients accepted into the research program will have travel to San Francisco covered and receive cash payments. This research program is part of a continuum of medical cannabis-related research performed by Dr. Abrams and his staff.

The goal’s study is to assess whether using vaporized marijuana affects the safety of prescribed opioids in patients treated for chronic pain.

*To Join This Study You Must:

-Have Ongoing Chronic Pain
    -Be 18 or older
    -Be on a stable twice-daily dose of sustained-release oxycodone (Oxycontin) for at least 2 weeks before enrollment
    -Be willing to give up marijuana for a month prior to entering the study
    -Not be a cigarette and/or cigar smoker, or be willing not to smoke for 2 weeks before starting the study
    -Meet some additional criteria

If You Are Eligible You Will:

-Spend 5 days and nights in a clinical research center at San Francisco General Hospital
    -Have blood tests and other measurements done
    -Inhale vaporized marijuana three times a day

If you’re interested in participating in this important medical research, and qualify for the necessary research protocols, please directly contact 415-476-9554 (x315).

Absent these kinds of well constructed scientific research programs to better understand and determine the medical utility of cannabinoids and cannabis, the federal government will continuously oppose patient access to whole-smoked cannabis, therefore this kind of research takes on an even greater sense of concern and scope than just how a specific therapy interacts with patients.

42 Responses to “Important Marijuana Study Needs Chronic Pain Patients; Travel and Payment Included”

1. RJ says:

Wow, I have been smoking for a bit and pretty much all of that applies to me. I have a bulging disc in my back that causes me a great deal of pain. Plus I don’t smoke cigarettes or anything. The only bad part for me is I live in Ohio.

2. Justin says:

This is awesome, I want to have my dad apply. Amazing!!!

3. dewey says:

haha, i wish this would be a cool study to be a part of, too bad im not in chronic pain.

4. Diane Penyige says:

I am currently at home on private long term disability with a private insurance a due to Fibromyalgia and have been for approx. 4 years. I don’t have much hope of returning to my place of employment. Although it is thought not to be progressive, my Fibromyalgia continues to worsen. My doctor has me on Gabapentin, Amytriptyline, Celexa and Cyclobenziprine for the various aspects of the disorder. NONE of these gives me the same relief as smoking marijuana. There is never a question of adversely effecting the other drugs, and I believe that it enhances or improves the effect of the others.
      I would be interested in participating in the study, because I feel very strongly about the wonderful medicinal benefits of marijuana, but I can not take oxycontin due to allergy to codeine (sorry not sure of the spelling on that). Due to the fact that I am allergic to codeine, my doctor has little to offer me in the way of pain control. He has refused to sign the papers for me to use medicinal marijuana legally because he doesn’t believe in it (his words) , so I use it at my own risk. I would be interested in any help that I could give in this research to move along this long process of understanding the benefits of this wonderful herb.

5. Vincent Tersigni says:

Hi my names Vincent Tersigni im 19 years old and im applying for the position to this work, you can contact me at Vince_tersigni@hotmail.com or (705)717-6934. Im available for this type of work asap.. cya

6. THOMAS MOHLER says:

DOES THIS STUDY INCLUDE CHRONIC MIGRAINE HEADACHE’S??
      PLEASE CONTACT ME BACK, FOR I HAVE A FEW QUESTION’S.
      I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND I AM SCARED OF HEIGHT’S.
      FLYING???????????????????
      WE HAVE THE OPORTUNITY TODAY TO LEGALIZE MEDICAL MARIJUANA, PRAY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN THAT OPPOSE THIS WONDERFUL GOD GIVEN PLANT!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Sara says:

I have corhns disease and am in remission at the moment.. but i am newly diagnosed, with it as of october 16,2008 im 20 year old female… i read on the internet about this… and i wasnt sure what he qualfications are.. and i aswell live in Canada.

8. Works for me arthritis in neck and spine cannabis helps me from feeling sick caused by migraine headache also because of chronic pain it helps me sleep at night.I would be happy to participate in the study

9. marilyn erickson says:

I can’t believe you won’t find enough participants right in the san francisco area, but if you need another applicant for this study, from Victoria BC, Canada, i’d be happy to take part.
      I threw away the celebrex, morphine, oxycontin and sleep aids four years ago when i started using medical marijuana daily for my severe spinal stenosis and debilitating back pain. the pharmaceuticals just caused more alarming side effects.
      i can’t say i am totally pain free because it is a degenerative condition, but i can control the pain very well now and only use gabapentin and genbaclofin when the pain is severe, perhaps every few months or so. i have belonged to our local “compassion club” for five years and it has changed my life being able to buy cannibis legally here.
      Sign me up! I love San Francisco!

10. Laura Judy says:

For more information about whether you qualify for the study, please directly contact 415-476-9554 (x315).

Laura @ norml

11. Matt Nelson says:

I am a 20 year old male from Nanaimo B.C that has been on WCB for a year and a half with a severe back injury,”3 Compression herniated discs L5,L4,L3, and a bent spine in upper back ,already, every aspect of my injury is getting worse, and i was told I am now suffering from chronic pain and probably will for the rest of my life, I have ended up in the Hospital due to pain more than I can count only to be pumped with as much Morphine and painkillers they can give me without killing me, with no help only to be sent home with nothing they could due. And I have now tried an endless amount of medications without much help And only ended up with Ten times more problems due to the medications I am taking. Ive tried every antidepressent/anti anxiety and sleeping pill i can think of without help, ive been on and am on muscle relaxants, narcotics,anti nausients,anti siesure pills, including: Gabapentin, Flexeril(cyclobenzoprine),Nexium,Senokot,Oxycontin,Percocets,Gravol,amytriptiline,Ativan,Plus more, as well as my back injury I am now suffering from Sever Stomach and Intestinal problems due to my pills, as well my pills have also stopped my saliva glands from working properly and my eyes from producing any fluids, so i now have to take fake saliva from a tube and constantly suck on water and candy or my glands will swell like a football and also have to take fake tears or my eyelids stick to my eyeballs, I suffer severe nausea and motion sickness, severe headaches, and nerve pain, I get apsolutely No sleep and cant sit still or my pain will escelate, I smoke Marijuana ALL day long and without it I dont think i would be here, I would have to take 20 different pills to help what 1 joint will do, when I smoke a joint it Instantly Relieves my anxiety, my Nausea, nerve pain, headaches, It stops me from needing fake saliva and I actually have to spit probably 20 times while smoking a joint, it helps me sleep, helps give me an appatite, Relaxes my muscles and helps with spasms, bone and joint pain, depression,and almost every other problem I have, the only problem is I have Asthma, although I find it sometimes helps my asthma but can also make it worse, I have NEVER tried a Vaporizer and think I would make a good candidate for your study. Thanks for your time Matt Nelson

12. Tim says:

i would so do this get this kind of experiment in NH and im there haha

13. Cal says:

Im Cal, a 54 year old vietnam veteran in Phoenix, due to a back injury three years ago and subsequent diagnosis of DDD (degenerative disc disease) I’m on ssd at this time. I have recently gone through a one year interferon treatment for liver disease. I have been on oxycodone for 4 years. My daughter recently found my tylenol bottle with a small quanity of marijuana that I was using to counteract nausea from chemotherapy. I am in complete integrity with her and could not pass it off as oregeno for chili. I have decided to become active in seeking the the medical use of marijuana. This looks like a good place to start. I am for real. regards Cal in Phx

14. Witne says:

I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia which definatly qualifies for this study, and ide love nothing more than to participate in it. I am 20 years old and and prescribed about 6 different types of meds just for pain. Its no way to live and my disease wont kill me but if i took everything i was supposed to my liver would fail by the time i am 40. Ive noticed the only thing that gives me a momentary break from the pain is smoking pot.. it not only makes my back not feel the herniated discs or the chip in my spine or any of my tendonitis in my sholders knees hips and ankles from many car accidents and 12 years of competative gymnastics. it also helps reduce the stress since my disorder is nerve related and the more stress i have the more i feel everything, and by everything i mean i cant even have anyone touch my skin without it feeling like needles, amd i feel like ive been hit by a bus with a car full of people who gave me mono…. i also have droped so much weight from this that smoking is the only way i can eat something and keep it down. i also have essential tremors and after smoking my shaking is way reduced which rocks since im an art major ( helps with that too ;] ) i have it down to if i smoke on a regular basis i only have to take about 5 of the 15 pills i should be taking daily and getting the same/ or better results. oh yeah did i metioned that there is no cure for fibromyalgia, only treatment.. and there is no “good” treatment for it… in states with medical marajuana, it is prescribed to patients with fybro, i would love to be in the front line of making this a legal thing for people who share my pain everywhere… COMEON WHO WOULDNT WANT TO SAVE THEIR LIVER AND HAVE A FAIR SHOT AT LIFE!!!!

15. Kaylyn says:

I’ve never wanted chronic pain before this moment.

16. NANCY WILSON says:

I 40 and have had pain all my life my pain there is not any pain med that I have not taken even mophen.because of my pain I can not work stand for long I donot get free medical or any now so I am homeless do to pain I this can help a person like me take care of my self so that the govement want have to why not.I am not a drug addick,I now just go crazy in pain,that is hell on earth,I have seigers,miragraines,legs work only 5 hours aday at the most,legs swelling,not a diebate,highbloog persure,I have been to a lot of docters. what can I do

17. Dan M. says:

Man, I can’t travel because I’m in college at the moment, but I totally want to be part of this. I’m 18 and in a wheel chair with Muscular Dystrophy. Specifically, Spinal Muscular Atrophy. So yeah, I think I’d be good for this particular study.

18. rebelrev says:

I have had four back surgeries since 96,been on perc’s and methadone for bout seven yrs.also on permanet disability.I am so tired of opiates,that I could just scream to the world.pot really does work wonders for me.mades me relax,eat and puts me with peace of mind for awhile.my question is,are the drugs I take,would they qualify me for this research?I live in hawaii and I would come to san fran in a heartbeat.mahalo and aloohaaa!

19. matt mernagh says:

excellent more research. but shouldn’t we just rediscover old medicine? i favor research but we need relief now.

20. chris says:

im in south carolina email where its private ill give my imformation if you still need people and its not to far i do have some medical needs that would have to be meet

21. Chris says:

This study would be something I’m interested in. I broke my neck and back in Feb. I also fractured part of my shoulder, a bleeding spleen, and some nerve damage. My life changed in a split second due to a sleepy tractor trailer driver…who was reckloss. I do fit all the criteria for the study. I don’t smoke cigs, and I’m currently taking roxicodones for the pain. They aren’t good for you, and I’m interested in this study. People should have the right to try different things for pain to improve there way of life.

22. Medical Justice says:

Wow, I would be totaly there, but I have a pain pump and get about 15mg of Morphine directly in my spine daily. I wonder if that would be ok?

Anyhow, we all need to get this National medical movement going. We have about 2 good years and then the Republicans will be gunning for us again. We all need to write to Obama and to local and national leaders, get the word out that we want Medical Justice. We cant do this state by state, it has to happen the right way, a Federal Medical Marijuana Law!

We dont want big drug makers telling or funding politics and in turn making laws that are only in place to increase their profits. They know that marijuana helps and they know that if the cloud of brainwashing lifts they will loose so much in just pain meds alone!

They are scared to death of Marijuana and until we get our story and the truth out, we wont get anything done and in 8 years we will be asking what happened!

I just sent out my Monthly emails, yes monthly I write to congress, senate, and President, also to Ky state leaders, all of them! Every month I tell my story, I ssend out the same email but with an uopdate of my medical issues and how not having medical marijuana laws I have no life for my kids or to help contribute to the country.

I also include a list of 5 facts about marijuana, diffrent ones each maonth. i know their is at least one person that is reading my emails and that one person is all that we need, just one to start the debate, to start real thought and reveal the truth!

Please, its nice to write here its hole new deal writing to washington or state leaders, but it needs done. We can do this but we have to make our move today not a day later, today, write something to someone, get the word out!

23. Joe says:

I do not smoke Cigs,Have had 3 open heart valve replacementst last one over 20 years old,Stroke over 30 years ago,right side still week…….I take Coumadin and Medical Marijauna for PAIN and I am Fine
      I live by Sacramento,Calif so I am close…

24. Brett Schwanke says:

Hey i have 2 broken vertebrae in my back and still have a ton of pain.. I qualify for all the requirements.. My phone is broken though.. So can i get ahold of you any other way? Lets say email?

25. Scott Watkins says:

I am a 40 year old, and I am in chronic pain and suffer from extreme muscle spasms, severe torticolis attacks, severe rhomboid spasms, thoracic/lower back pain, severe leg spasms (imagine a 5 minute charlie horse) and have been on pain pills for almost 10 years. My father has dermatomyositis, and my 47 year old brother has severe rheumatoid arthritis. My condition has yet to be identified, I was told I have a protein in my blood which signifies muscle damage, and it is far higher than normal, with no apparent reason. I use marijuana to relax my muscles and ease the spasms, and it helps me sleep at night without waking up in agony. I am sick of pain pills, and would gladly participate in such a study.

26. H. A. Garte says:

I qualify medically. I Stopped smoking caninbas 8 weeks ago due to the adverse affects I believe smoking causes. I would do whatever it takes to become a participant in this study. Both my Neurologist and Pain specialist have said they would give me a perscription when I could use it to obtain medical marijuana. I am currently taking Lyrica 2x 225mg, and 2x Opana (time-released morphine). I would smoke 2-3 bowels daily. I have heard of vaporizors, but have not used one. I am 53 years old and have smoked since HIGH school (graduated 1971). Any consideration given to my application woul dbe greatly appreciated

27. Joe Coleman says:

I am a qualified patient in Washington State. I have been taking opiate basedpain relievers for over five years now. I have gone full circle with the pain relievers and I have found that high quality marijuanna is much more effective in controling my crhonic pain than any opiate based drug out there. I also dont get sick when I dont have my pot I just hurt.I live in eastern Washington and am going to call tomorrow to see if I can get involved with this study or any other studies that will help the feds and the people understand the benefits of marijuanna. I have used pot for over twenty years now and I never thougt I could use it legally. However I would trade all the pot in the world to get rid of my pain.

28. cind says:

ditto miraim erickson (above comment) the only addition for me is yoga. all i can say as i’m able to tolerate most foods again and have gone from 92pds to 110 all because of alittle plant that gave me back my life again : warning :Becareful taking risks as mine was surely penalized by the state of virginia “all in the name of survival as marijuana was the only medication that had zero side effects and yet unobtainable legally in my state i grew some got arrested and my husband lost his job over it, it has only made my mission in life to be a stronger social change agent to promote the legalization of medical marijuana .contact me if i can help!

29. Radu Rizea says:

I am really interested in this program, but I don’t know if I can be a part of it. I have a very very bad chest pain (actually it hurts all around,from back to the chest) for the last 9 or 10 months. When I started having this pain, I was living in Romania. I went to 3 different doctors, to see what was happening, but all said it is just a small neuralgia, probably caused by a cold and it will go away with some pills. So I followed 3 different treatments, which didn’t do much, the pain coming back after only few days. Now I have enrolled as a volunteer, and I am currently in Norway, where I am taking a course to go to Africa, to do development work . My pain is still there, and I haven’t found any solutions to stop it. (I took painkillers, but after a few hours I get the pain again). While I was in England this summer, I tried several times cannabis, and it was a total relief from the pain.

30. nick says:

Obama and Biden have launched a website called http://www.change.gov/ where you could tell them your “vision” for this country. If they are who they say they are, the voices of many may not be ignored so easily. Leave them your opinions on all the benefits this country stands to gain by just changing this simple law.

31. jon says:

what if i,m on vicodin 10/500 apap 4 times a day does that count?

32. I AM A 41 YEAR OLD FEMALE WHO SPENT 6YRS IN THE MILITARY. I HAVE BEEN OUT 2 1/2 YRS. I AM CURRENTLY PERMANENTLY/TOTALLY DISABLED PART OF WHICH IS FOR CHRONIC INTRACTABLE MIGRAINES. I TAKE UP TO 60MG OF MORPHINE DAILY FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS. WOULD LOVE TO SPEAK MORE ABOUT THIS STUDY WITH A DIRECTOR.

33. I have had an MRI recently. It provides sufficent information on as to why I have had chronic neck, shoulder and back pain. I have lived with this pain for years and it has only gotten worse. I lost my job trying, while off duty, to seek help. I haven’t any insurance and no job. I have also had a problem even getting a Dr. to give me anything for pain. I have gotten releif from smoking a little herb. I would be perfect for this study accept for the lack of funding, no work = no pay. Otherwise I would be perfect for this project.

34. I almost forgot, I am also a sufferer of IBS. If I do not take the medications for that I suffer immesurably. I have worked in surgery for almost 18 years and have also had pain management treatment for my neck pain and the results were rather touch and go.
      I have never had any oxycodone but have had hycrocodone with limited effect. I havn’t had a perscription of that for a very long time.
      I would look forward to an alternative treatment but so far everything has been strictly an out of pocket expense. So getting someone to treat me is difficult. The very small ammount of marajuana that I have consumed (from a friend) actually helped. Administrator please contact me.
      I will do almost anything for relief from pain.

35. Amy says:

Hello my name is Amy and I am in cronic pain. I take a lot of meds and still do not have quality of life. I am 38 and I have never smoked pot. I just wish i knew if it would give me some of my life back. I have four children and a husband that my pain has caused me to be unable to make love in over a year, I miss the that . I feel sometimes i am losing his we were very close and due to my pain and ridgedness has robbed me of so many things. if anything could give me back some hope,light at the end of a very dark way i would try it. Thank you I just want a little of my life back and i just don’t see how it could be as bad as everything i take with almost no relief

36. rhonda williams says:

I’VE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HEP,C BACK IN 1989, also durning that time i was also diagnosed WITH CRONIC FATIGUE, AND FIBROMYALIGA. THEN I WAS SURFINGIN 2004,NEEDLESS TO SAY I GOT SLAMMED DOWN HEAD FIRST ONTO A SAND BAR. WHILE WAITING FOR THE RADICAL WAVES TO GO OVER ME . WHEN IT WAS OVER WITH I WENT TO KICK OFF THE BOTTOM TO COME UP,I COULDN’T MOVE ANYTHING BUT MY EYES. I ENDED UP DROWING AND A MONTH LATER GOT OUT OF THE HOSIPTAL. I HAD TO RELEARN HOW TO WALK EAT. WRIGHT. I BROKE C3,c4.and c5.NEEDLESS TO SAY THINGS WERE GOING WELL UNTIL I GOT PISS TESTED ,POSITIVE.NOW ALL I CAN GET IS MUSCLE RELAXERS. big F’ING DEAL.
      ,i’m 53 YEARS OLD. BEEN SMOKING OVER 40 YEARS

37. Joe Coleman says:

Hey you guys that think you want crhonic pain you can have mine. THIS ISNT A JOKE SO DONT MAKE IT OUT TO BE ONE!!!!!!

38. Becky Sardone says:

I am 46 I have fybermalgia, diagnosed 10 yrs ago but as a 10 yr old girl I have had sever pain and was told that it was growing pains, it was all in my head, (not really) except for all the head aches from all the docters. My body feels like it was dragged through a knot hole backward. I am on duragesic patches 200 mcg every 48 hrs and 30 mg of oxycodone up to 10 in a 24 hrs, plus other meds. I hate smoking pot, only done it 30 yrs ago but didn’t like it so I don’t like the smell or the feeling of being paranoid, tired and hungry. But I need to try something else because I have been on meds for 10 yrs they are not working, my doctor will not give me any new dosage or new pain meds, I can’t blaim him. I am sick everyday that I have to get up in the AM and take 2 hrs just to be able to gewt dresses. I need to living up my life, I can’t live like this anymore. I am single and on disabilty so nothing is holding me back from this study. Thanks Becky Sardone

39. laura says:

I am 41 years old, and for the last seven years I have dealt with sever cronic back pain. I have five bulging discs, sever leg pain. I have so much problems walking I trip and fall all the time (at least three times a month). The worst fall was when I fell and shattered my knee cap, usually I just fall and land on my tailbone, hip or shoulders. I also have fibormyalgia. My feet and hands are curling over from the pain. For the first time in months I cooked my family dinner tonight, and after ten minutes of standing I froze in place and could not walk. All the meds are starting to catch up with me. I am on vicodin, fentenal, soma, neurotin, and prozac. The heartburn is insane, I can’t keep anything down anymore.

I would like more information on this trial. Please contact me when you can. I have never smoked or used pot before.

40. Sheila says:

I wish I didn’t live so far away.

But more than that I wish it could be
      medically legal EVERYWHERE!!

Chronic pain blog

41. Subrina Blubaugh says:

I have fibromyalgia. I have been in pain since 2009. Tried just about all pain meds there are. I live in South Carolina. Can you help.

42. shawn smith says:

i was hit by a car wile on a bicycle,and recieved bad head,face nedding facial reconstruck,a plate and have pain strong pain,given strong meds, for long term yet med marajuana,like enjoy my art and musical intrest come back, pain it helps amazingly well for certain areas of my?my day Ican function so much better quality of my life intrest goals all good/please tell me what to do ?hep c the medicine for this desease not eating stomache pain aches liver inflamed not yet scirrosis, my blood comes back to ecceptical levals on marajuana? please help!