• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director November 1, 2008

Renowned medical researcher Donald Abrams, MD (and the Positive Health Program of the UCSF Medical Service @ San Francisco General Hospital) is seeking a few more patients for a government-funded study that features patients who consume cannabis.*

Patients accepted into the research program will have travel to San Francisco covered and receive cash payments. This research program is part of a continuum of medical cannabis-related research performed by Dr. Abrams and his staff.

The goal’s study is to assess whether using vaporized marijuana affects the safety of prescribed opioids in patients treated for chronic pain.

*To Join This Study You Must:

Have Ongoing Chronic Pain
    Be 18 or older
    Be on a stable twice-daily dose of sustained-release oxycodone (Oxycontin) for at least 2 weeks before enrollment
    Be willing to give up marijuana for a month prior to entering the study
    Not be a cigarette and/or cigar smoker, or be willing not to smoke for 2 weeks before starting the study
    Meet some additional criteria

If You Are Eligible You Will:

Spend 5 days and nights in a clinical research center at San Francisco General Hospital
    Have blood tests and other measurements done
    Inhale vaporized marijuana three times a day

If you’re interested in participating in this important medical research, and qualify for the necessary research protocols, please directly contact 415-476-9554 (x315).

Absent these kinds of well constructed scientific research programs to better understand and determine the medical utility of cannabinoids and cannabis, the federal government will continuously oppose patient access to whole-smoked cannabis, therefore this kind of research takes on an even greater sense of concern and scope than just how a specific therapy interacts with patients.

42 Responses to “Important Marijuana Study Needs Chronic Pain Patients; Travel and Payment Included”

1. RJ says:

Wow, I have been smoking for a bit and pretty much all of that applies to me. I have a bulging disc in my back that causes me a great deal of pain. Plus I don’t smoke cigarettes or anything. The only bad part for me is I live in Ohio.

2. Justin says:

This is awesome, I want to have my dad apply. Amazing!!!

3. dewey says:

haha, i wish this would be a cool study to be a part of, too bad im not in chronic pain.

4. Diane Penyige says:

I am currently at home on private long term disability with a private insurance a due to Fibromyalgia and have been for approx. 4 years. I don’t have much hope of returning to my place of employment. Although it is thought not to be progressive, my Fibromyalgia continues to worsen. My doctor has me on Gabapentin, Amytriptyline, Celexa and Cyclobenziprine for the various aspects of the disorder. NONE of these gives me the same relief as smoking marijuana. There is never a question of adversely effecting the other drugs, and I believe that it enhances or improves the effect of the others.
      I would be interested in participating in the study, because I feel very strongly about the wonderful medicinal benefits of marijuana, but I can not take oxycontin due to allergy to codeine (sorry not sure of the spelling on that). Due to the fact that I am allergic to codeine, my doctor has little to offer me in the way of pain control. He has refused to sign the papers for me to use medicinal marijuana legally because he doesn’t believe in it (his words) , so I use it at my own risk. I would be interested in any help that I could give in this research to move along this long process of understanding the benefits of this wonderful herb.

5. Vincent Tersigni says:

Hi my names Vincent Tersigni im 19 years old and im applying for the position to this work, you can contact me at Vince_tersigni@hotmail.com or (705)717-6934. Im available for this type of work asap.. cya

6. THOMAS MOHLER says:

DOES THIS STUDY INCLUDE CHRONIC MIGRAINE HEADACHE’S??
      PLEASE CONTACT ME BACK, FOR I HAVE A FEW QUESTION’S.
      I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND I AM SCARED OF HEIGHT’S.
      FLYING???????????????????
      WE HAVE THE OPORTUNITY TODAY TO LEGALIZE MEDICAL MARIJUANA, PRAY FOR THESE STUPID PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN THAT OPPOSE THIS WONDERFUL GOD GIVEN PLANT!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Sara says:

I have corhns disease and am in remission at the moment.. but i am newly diagnosed, with it as of october 16,2008 im 20 year old female… i read on the internet about this… and i wasnt sure what he qualfications are.. and i aswell live in Canada.

8. Works for me arthritis in neck and spine cannabis helps me from feeling sick caused by migraine headache also because of chronic pain it helps me sleep at night.I would be happy to participate in the study

9. marilyn erickson says:

I can’t believe you won’t find enough participants right in the san francisco area, but if you need another applicant for this study, from Victoria BC, Canada, i’d be happy to take part.
      I threw away the celebrex, morphine, oxycontin and sleep aids four years ago when i started using medical marijuana daily for my severe spinal stenosis and debilitating back pain. the pharmaceuticals just caused more alarming side effects.
      i can’t say i am totally pain free because it is a degenerative condition, but i can control the pain very well now and only use gabapentin and genbaclofin when the pain is severe, perhaps every few months or so. i have belonged to our local “compassion club” for five years and it has changed my life being able to buy cannibis legally here.
      Sign me up! I love San Francisco!

10. Laura Judy says:

For more information about whether you qualify for the study, please directly contact 415-476-9554 (x315).

Laura @ norml