Roll Call Is NORML!

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director January 3, 2009

Capitol Hill Cannabis Law Reform Lobby Highlighted

Since the election of Barack Obama to the presidency, despite the government’s best, but utterly feckless efforts to suppress cannabis culture and use in America, the ‘buzz’ in Washington D.C. and nationwide these days about alternatives to cannabis prohibition is palpable.

One interesting tea leaf for me to gather in this evolution towards cannabis law reforms at the national level is to see otherwise staid, Capitol Hill-based print publications such as The Hill and most recently Roll Call taking interest in the cannabis law reform lobby’s efforts in Washington—after decades of ignoring us.

Is real change afoot here as indicated by these mainstream, political publications casting needed public and political attention towards NORML’s nearly 40-years of grassroots advocacy?

Time, and increased public efforts by reformers, will tell…

Read a scanned version of Roll Call’s ‘Vested Interests’ article, here.

56 Responses to “Roll Call Is NORML!”

1. Clarke says:

We can’t be ignored anymore, Cannabis law reform is hitting the mainstream…finally!

2. bonnie says:

Was nothing ever done for using pot for religioud reasons? No churches allowed?

3. Aaron says:

NORML deserves major credit for the wave and then the Internet for making it break.

As a constant blogger of the Cannabis Culture I could tell that the ground swell was building. Recently the Change.org Vote (on-line) was just a small indicator of the number of advocates ready to take action.

In my opinion, this year of 2009 will see the issue brought to the forefront of public debate.

Smoke the Competition!

A

4. With me as the new Drug Czar cannibis laws R certain 2 change 4 the better simply speak with Bill Maher whom I was able 2 meet on occasion 2 bad about George Carlin cuz together we could take this place back 2 the weed world it once was faster but,his strength is in my aura and me being so close 2 Jim D. Morrison with musical proof I’m a sure thing once Obama sees this n’ checks me out:)

5. Fred Gardner says:

Yet another example of the editors unable to resist the temptation to pun
      about pot. Why? Because they all know it’s benign! You never see a headline like “Meth Use Rising Speedily” or “Heroin Reform Gets The Nod…”

Happy new year everybody,

Fred

6. Troy - Free your mind says:

The more mainstream this becomes, the more politicians will want to jump on board. Keep it up Norml!

7. Mark W. says:

LEGALIZE IT!!!

8. rev.420 says:

THE HEMP/MARIJUANA REVOLUTION WILL SAVE THIS COUNTRY, THE PLANET, AND IT’S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

DONT FORGET TO VOTE FOR MARIJUANA / CANNABIS / HEMP AND ENDING THE DRUG WAR REEFERORM AT http://www.change.gov/openforquestions

9. William says:

Finally making headway huh, well its about time too. Place more pressure on Obama’s campaign to reform Cannabis law. Did Obama claim he supported the Cannabis Law? If you got any leads, please give me a ‘heads’up.