• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director March 25, 2009

WhiteHouse.gov is once again asking the public to pose questions directly to President Obama via its ‘Open For Questions‘ service. The topic of this week’s forum is the national economy, and not surprisingly, many of you have already put forward questions to the President regarding the taxation and regulation of cannabis.

For example, the most popular question in the category “Budget” is: With over 1 out of 30 Americans controlled by the penal system, why not legalize, control, and tax marijuana to change the failed war on drugs into a money making, money saving boost to the economy?”

Similarly, under the topic “Financial Stability,” most asked question is: Would you support the bill currently going through the California legislature to legalize and tax marijuana, boosting the economy and reducing drug cartel related violence?”

Marijuana-related questions also top the “Green Jobs and Energy” category, and are among the top vote-getters on the site overall.

According to website, President Obama will “answer some of the most popular submissions live at WhiteHouse.gov” on Thursday morning. That means that we only have a few more hours left to contact the White House.

Please take a moment right now to log on the WhiteHouse.gov/OpenForQuestions and vote for the questions above, as well as others pertaining to the need to regulate cannabis. Let the President know that millions of American voters believe that the time has come to tax and regulate marijuana. Help us send The White House a message our elected leaders can’t ignore.

356 Responses to “Obama ‘Open For Questions’ About The Economy — Ask Him To Support Taxing And Regulating Marijuana”

1. David says:

Done and done.

2. Marcus says:

I think its great that Obama is finally gonna listen to what the pot public has to say. So now all you drug free people are screwed hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

3. Sam says:

I believe in Obama.

4. tori says:

I saw soooo many questions for the legalizing of marijuana. How can they possibly blow it off this time? Hopefully they’ll finally get the point and at least give us real answers this time!

5. I think it’s up to the states to decide to legalize cannabis now that Obama’s called off his federal DEA attack dogs. But jeez you people are so greedy; why not ask him to allow the cultivation of non-psychoactive industrial hemp? It would be a boon for the construction industry, and I’d happily farm hemp.

6. D Lepage says:

Here is my question that I post this morning.

Mr president, History has shown that prohibition Does NOT work! It is time for marijuana to be legalized, regulated, and taxed.The failed war on drugs is an open wound on America and we are bleeding to death. Will you end this madness?”

I am thinking that for this to work, rather then everyone post a question, we need to all agree to vote on just one or two because it’s not the volume of questions, it’s the most popular question.

7. Austin says:

I left a comment at the WhiteHouse.gov/OpenForQuestions

It was easy and only took a second, We need more Comments

Lets get Our message on National TV

8. G says:

let’s make our questions heard!

9. Kevin M says:

Yes I really hope that he pays attention to the questions. I know there was some talk earlier about him ignoring marijuana related issues and that would be terrible.

I submitted a question and I can’t wait for him to respond to some of these.