NORML announces formation of US Virgin Islands chapter

• by Russ Belville, NORML Outreach Coordinator July 29, 2009

NORML is proud to announce the formation of its first Caribbean territory chapter in the United States Virgin Islands. USVI NORML will be working to change marijuana laws in the territory to respect the residents and tourists who choose to consume cannabis responsibly.

Linda Adler, the founding executive director, is seeking to make the islands a prime destination for tourists from the mainland’s thirteen medical marijuana states, who lack protection for their medical use when vacationing (Hawaii’s medical marijuana law does not recognize medical recommendations from other states). “This is heavily about tourism,” she says. “We are planning to include wording that not only allows someone with a state issued medical card to come and use, but those world wide travelers that come to the Virgin Islands coming from legal countries will be able to get a temporary card for their stay providing they bring required documentation.

“Just the decriminalization aspect of what we are pushing will allow any tourist to partake and risk only a civil fine of about $150 for up to 2 oz. of cannabis,” Adler continues. “Tourism makes up 70% of the GDP for the USVI. We will, as a chapter, promote before and after the fact to the domestic and international pro-cannabis sectors, both for financial support to get the law changed, but then to promote safe tourism for the so-inclined tourists.”

Also a part of Adler’s plans, should they succeed with decriminalization in the islands, is the building of a NORML St. Thomas Hotel, a resort destination open only to NORML members (who may join at the front desk) that caters to the needs of cannabis-friendly clientele and returns a substantial donation for NORML annually.

Virgin Islands residents interested in joining with USVI NORML can contact Linda at lovingadler ‘at’ gmail.com. More information can be found on the web at myspace.com/usvinorml.

17 Responses to “NORML announces formation of US Virgin Islands chapter”

1. geo says:

This is a giant leap forward for MMJ. Hawaii Should consider following the virgin Island example. Congrats NORML.

2. JAY says:

Love Jamaica would love USVI even better

3. Anonymous says:

Another fine example of people that truly understand the financial aspect of cannabis on tourism. I would guess they might see as much as 200percent increase in tourism. If Americans could go someplace that was cannabis friendly without a passport it would bring a great deal of business their way. I for one would be booking my next vacation to St. Thomas. Having already been there and found the scuba diving to be one of the best in the world I would go back anytime. Good luck and a great big thanks to NORML.

4. Fireweed says:

If this materializes, I’ll be booking a flight soon. And I’ll bring that $150 with me just in case!

5. The People says:

It sounds like the USVI is already to make some changes according to this. If this is true then great! Hawai?i on the other hand depends on tourism otherwise we stay broke.

6. moldy says:

What a concept! I hate travel to anywhere just because the minute I leave my state I become fair game for Johny Law. Please try to get this done before I die. I’ll be coming with my donation, that’s fer sure!

7. [...] from:  NORML announces formation of US Virgin Islands chapter Share and [...]

8. wamba says:

thats great news ,we got some of the best homegrown we could ever imagine .i cant wait for this to materiaizes. rasta tradition bal up my brethren.stand firm ghetto youhts.

9. The Oracle says:

Sounds like a nice place to get some sativa grown on U.S. territory, very exclusive varieties should fetch a nice profit when marketed in the U.S. 50 after complete legalization…nice place for vacation. I’ll put in my list of places to go, maybe there in winter rather than Amsterdam

10. R.O.E. says:

Chuga Chuga Choo Choo!!!

11. alucinogeno says:

Form a Chapter in Puerto Rico

[Editor's note: NORML does not form chapters...stakeholders in reform form NORML chapters...any and all can start the process by emailing chapters@norml.org]

12. Rebel with a cause says:

Well!…Hawaii took back Paradise. Now the Virgin Islands makes their bid. I guess the place to vacation is Paradise. Tourism just may be the vehicle to bring us up to speed and allow us to stay in the race.

13. Brian says:

My family travels here every few years. St. John has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and if marijuana became available like this is could compete with Hawaii for Americas paradise. I really hope this goes through! I love the usvi, herbs or not (added by Mobile using Mippin)

14. [...] Thomas, USVI: The US Virgin Islands local NORML chapter (USVI NORML) seeks to add a niche market to the tourism industry with a proposed Medical Marijuana [...]

15. [...] Thomas, USVI:The US Virgin Islands localNORML chapter(USVI NORML) seeks to add a niche market to the tourism industry with a proposed Medical Marijuana [...]

16. Tony b says:

Big up to USVI for starting a NORML chapter, I lived with 8 boys when I was a boy all in a home for smoking weed. They explained to me that they smoked since 6 yrs old and were told to read the bible..the Rasta bible. All great people I still remember 20 yrs later. love ,peace and unity…long live bob Marley,Jah Rastafarei & His Majesty Haile Selassie I lion of the Tribe of Juda..big up to you I forget most of their names exept Leon the
      lion and the youngest boy mike(13)who was accused of shooting a police officer. we all ended up in a rehab named valley view in upstate New York that was later closed down for insurance fraud or some thing….any way congrads and BIG UP USVI

17. Anonymous says:

I have the house upside down to be proving various reforms
      I can not wait to be an expert

url = http://tommaso.byethost18.com/no-seas-tonto-y-di-lo-que-piensas/ ] read more / url ]