• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director August 18, 2009

To follow up on yesterday’s blog post, here are the findings of yet another just published study that the mainstream media will undoubtedly ignore.

Effects of cannabis on lung function: a population-based cohort study
    via nih.gov

The effects of cannabis on lung function remain unclear and may be different to tobacco. We compared the associations between use of these substances and lung function in a population-based cohort (n=1037). … Cumulative cannabis use was associated with higher forced vital capacity, total lung capacity, functional residual capacity, and residual volume. Cannabis was also associated with higher airways resistance but not with forced expiratory volume in 1 second, forced expiratory ratio, or transfer factor. These findings were similar amongst those who did not smoke tobacco.

By contrast, tobacco use was associated with lower forced expiratory volume in 1 second, lower forced expiratory ratio, lower transfer factor, and higher static lung volumes, but not with airways resistance. Cannabis appears to have different effects on lung function to those of tobacco.

Just in case you think that this is the first time that researchers have failed to document a decline in lung function in marijuana users, well, think again. And again. And again.

35 Responses to “If Cannabis Smoking Didn’t Adversely Impact Lung Function You Would Have Read About It, Right?”

1. Balls Lane says:

keep up the good work norml, these studies have to convince some people. This will change soon enough.

2. R.O.E. says:

Another scientific study for our truth haters(politicians,prohibitionist) to ignore.

I think by the time cannabis is legal I will be bald….From pulling my hair out!

3. Nick says:

hell yah, more studys to debunk our stupid goverments LIES

4. The Oracle says:

Various postcards sent to my politicians with this enlightening information about cannabis one after the other by snail mail would be like Chinese water torture to them. I thought they got a whole booklet of the positive cannabis research sent to them, didn’t they? A positive cannabis factoid postcard a week to the drips who continue to prohibit cannabis. Let’s call it the Gallileo Postcard Project, GPP for short. I’ll pony up some buckage and send it in to NORML to have the staff send them out to the politicians who claim to represent me, or I’ll buy the set, print up some labels, get stamps in advance and mail them myself. No return address on the postcard, but the effect… Drip, drip, drip.

Might not be feasible, but the idea of pestering the Cannabis Inquisition this way is somehow appealing.

5. […] post: If Cannabis Smoking Didn’t Adversely Impact Lung Function You Would Have Read About It, Right? Share and […]

6. Eric Kerekes says:

Don’t skip the last “again” link!

7. I dont get it ROE i know your runnin on empty but why dont you go ahead and reward your stoicism and inner discipline by affording yourself some much desreved tokin time every once in a great while?

8. FOX says:

What was that? *Cough* Cough*

I think that means I should light up my stoogie.

I don’t know anyone who makes brownies with tobacco in them!

9. Joel: The other Joel says:

It’s funny and sad how prohibitionist try so hard to demonize cannabis just to find out that cannabis is much better for you.

10. Chris says:

My cousin and I have been smoking pot for about 4 or 5 years. The other day we held our breaths under water over two minutes longer than our friend in the police academy, who only smokes cigarettes now.