Profiles in Cannabis: Norm Stamper

• by Russ Belville, NORML Outreach Coordinator August 28, 2009

NORML is proud to confirm that Norm Stamper will be speaking at the 2009 NORML National Conference in San Francisco, CA.

Norm StamperMr. Stamper was a police officer for 34 years, the first 28 in San Diego, the last six (1994-2000) as Seattle’s Chief of Police. He has a doctorate in Leadership and Human Behavior, and is the author of Breaking Rank: A Top Cop’s Exposé of the Dark Side of American Policing (Nation Books, 2005). He is an advisory board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), and is a frequently featured critic of the drug war on radio and cable news outlets.

Most recently, Norm penned the forward to the book Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink? (Chelsea Green, 2009), stating: “From my own work and the experiences of other members of the law enforcement community, it is abundantly clear that marijuana is rarely, if ever, the cause of harmfully disruptive or violent behavior. In fact, I would go so far as to say that marijuana use often helps to tamp down tensions where they otherwise might exist.”

Norm says, "Yes we cannabis" and so should you! Meet Norm and hundreds of other likeminded people at NORML’s 38th annual conference, taking place September 24-26 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in downtown San Francisco. For registration information, please visit: http://www.norml.org/conference.

More about Norm:

Huffington Post: Thoughts on Pot vs. Alcohol from a Former Police Chief

Huffington Post: Marijuana Is No Laughing Matter, Mr. President

Huffington Post: A Former Police Chief on New Marijuana Book

24 Responses to “Profiles in Cannabis: Norm Stamper”

1. […] is the original:  NORML CON 2009 Profiles in Cannabis: Norm Stamper Share and […]

2. hockey&Bud says:

I’m glad that at least one cop is willing to speak the truth. I had a sociology class with a DUI task officer and he often said that weed is more dangerous than alcohol when it comes to driving. I don’t understand how the majority of police can be so naive when it comes to marijuana.

3. Long live Norm Stamper. Wish all cops were as cool as him. Maybe someday.

4. colin p says:

dude. i just watched a video on youtube of this guy speaking about anti-prohibition and it was extremely well done.

cp.

5. Chrokee Fred Jesus says:

Thank you sir for telling the truth.

Now if we could convince our lawmakers to follow the truth. Rather that the millions given to them to continue supporting corporate profits and our slavery….

6. Chrokee Fred Jesus says:

Notice who published the truth. Huffington Post, one of our sources for truth and fairness, support them at…

CFHJ

7. JJ says:

Norm, I thank you for your continued support for the legalization of a plant that could actually save this world.
      I have listened many years to my father, who used to be a Highway cop in WV back in the 70’s. He tells me all the time at how BAD our cops are now. Tasering 80 yr olds and such. WHat happened to PROTECT AND SERVE? My dad told me of a particular story where he pulled a guy over that had a 68 chevy truck filled with freshly picked plants that the guy had just harvested. The guy was shtting himself. My dad knew what the plants were but he let him go without a warning or anything….he didnt even acknowledge the plants. 2 days later, the dumbass was running his mouth about how stupid my father was so my dad went to his house, and told the SOB that if he ever caught him with ANY amount of pot that he would spent time behind bars. I remember another story my dad told me about a guy owning a town store on a hill next to a school bus stop. The owner of the store would take little girls into his store, give them candy, and in return would get a bj from a 10 year old, if they were that old. My dad arrested the guy, but since he had family in high places, he got 30 days on the hill. After the man got out, my dad would sit infront of his store at 8 am and at 3 pm. The owner called my dads boss and complained about police harrassment and when my dads boss asked my dad about it, he said he was ensuring the children where crossing the road safely. He was PROTECTING against VERY VIOLENT CRIMINALS. HE WAS SERVING THOSE CHILDREN. And for the last story. My father went to a bar where a reported fight had broke out. The two men had beat the hell out of each other over a deal gone bad. One of the men, the one buying, was from a different county and tried to rip off the other guy. Well, my dad took the guy selling and told him he had to go spend the night in jail over the disterbance as well as the other guy would be going too. My dad took the guy to his car and on the way over, the guy told him that he had a QP in his sock. My dad didnt know the guy, but my dad wasnt interested in the pot, he wanted peace and order. My dad made him promise no more fighting and in return, my dad took the man to his house, told his wife to come give his husband a hug. My dad turned his back and the man gave his wife the bag and they both went to the jail.
      Now I ask you, do you think that my father did anything wrong? He may have broken the laws of the state but you can go back to the county that he patrolled TODAY and ask them about my father, and every single person will know who he is, but more importantly, they will tell you that they would rather have him as a cop anyday over the cops now-a-days.
      So I ask you President Obama, will you serve your people? To the police reading this, will you protect the people against nasty people that hurt little kids, destroy lives, and ruin communities? Or will you continue to arrest and prosecute people that hurt NO ONE even if pot is harmful, we are still smoking (or however we take our meds) it in our house!!!!!!!!!

8. Jim K says:

Many kudos to you, Norm!

9. Jerry Moler says:

Looking forward to meeting all of the like minded people at the NORML convention. When you listen to and read what Norm has to say it is very convincing. He should know after his long career in law enforcement. I became a supporter of LEAP after reading some of his thoughts and experiences. He’s a great person to have as a spokesman for lifting prohibition of cannabis.
      P.S. I’m also looking forward to the party on Saturday night!

10. Lea says:

Darn Norm, hope you weren’t one of the narc’s that busted me in 1969 in San Diego.