Because Women Are NORML Too!

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director October 4, 2009

By Sabrina Fendrick , Executive Assistant, NORML/NORML Foundation

I have never been more proud to be a part of the marijuana movement as I was after reading an article in the October issue of Marie Claire titled “Stiletto Stoners”.  The feedback and comments in relation to this have been fast and overwhelming.

The woman cited in the article is quoted as saying, “‘I hate the term pothead—it connotes that I’m high 24/7, which I’m not,’ Jennifer Pelham says, wincing. ‘I don’t need it to get through my day. I just enjoy it when my day is over.’ Her nightly ritual costs only $50 a month.  It never induces a post-happy-hour hangover and, unlike the Xanax a doctor once prescribed for her anxiety, never leaves her groggy or numb… ‘It’s really not a big deal’.”

The normalizing of recreational cannabis consumption is not just happening with men, which is what most people think of when they think of pot smokers.  Women, who are not necessarily left out of the movement, are rarely recognized as a major demographic that is essential for the reform effort to push forward in a truly legitimate fashion.

This underreported phenomenon is now spreading across the mainstream media.  From Matt Lauer and the Today show,

To the Los Angeles Times

This story is spreading like wildfire across the Internet and I am willing to bet, it will only get bigger.

To be honest, I didn’t even realize the extent of this closet practice among my female cohorts.  Perhaps it’s just that they’re not as outspoken as the men?  Or maybe it’s because they have more at risk?  Whatever it is, the fact that more and more women are admitting to smoking cannabis (or marijuana or pot) is truly inspiring.

As a side note, I posted this article to the NORML Facebook page and within an hour there were already more comments on this post than almost any other on NORML’s facebook page!  Here are just a few from some NORML women:

-“ Finally, Female stoners who aren’t classified with dreads and no make up.  It’s definitely been around for a while but now there is recognition! Successful Stoner Ladies Unite!”

-“Hell yeah! Finally some coverage of us smart, sexy pot smokers.”

-“That’d be me!”

-“I am a successful Optician by day, and a happy pothead by night!”

-“And some of us run three business’s and support a household too!”

-“Exactly!”

-“Wooo! Thanks for the shout out guys!!”

-“This is so great…I actually read this in a salon the other day…”

-“I know a dentist, a lawyer, a paralegal and a few managers who all smoke and they are brilliant women who just like to relax after making all that $$…lol”

-“I’m a stay at home mother during the day and at night i have a job and go to school, and i rather smoke a joint once I’m home from work and the kids are passed out then have a glass of wine.”

-“Agreed everybody!! Don’t know what I would do without this option!”

This is a major response that reinforces my belief that women need to get on the bandwagon and start to fight for an end to these archaic marijuana laws.  When was the last time you saw this many comments, from women about women and their marijuana use? What does that say??  Let’s go ladies!  It’s time to get vocal and become an active participant in your own liberation.

Like one person commented on my wall earlier, “Blaze on Stiletto stoners.  I am proud to be one of you!”

75 Responses to “Because Women Are NORML Too!”

1. Steve Justice says:

“The behavior needs to be normalized (normlized)”

Couldn’t have said it better myself. They should have also highlighted that that smoking marijuana isn’t a “chick” thing to do. Woman are discredited by society at large because they are a minority and have lack in influence in government.

None the less … this was a very positive article for marijuana use. lets keep the media wheel turning.

2. Fireweed says:

Well you wouldn’t catch me dead in stilletto heels but otherwise count me in among this closet group. It’s heartening to see yet another untapped source of support for legalization. and did anyone see last month’s edition of Fortune mag, talking about how cannabis is essentially legal with med mj and showing us all how a legitimate cannibusiness could operate? I grabbed my copy when I saw them starting to run out. Probably a particularly high selling issue.

3. one of the comments on the marie claire website said the story was one sided because it didnt talk about the “side effect” of some people getting anxiety and paranoid while on it.

well thats because those are side effects of prohibition, not cannabis. Everyone that is comfortable with smoking does not get paranoid, even when high in public. its just from being afraid of getting caught. no more, no less maybe something to touch upon some more with the public. lets end the reefer madness

4. […] the rest here:  Because Women Are NORML Too! Share and […]

5. R.O.E. says:

Hey ,women had a lot to do with alcohol prohibition reform, why should this be any different. I have noticed that women are uniting on many fronts to change laws and the way government does thier job. I feel politicians are making a BIG mistake minimalizing or ignoring women and the power they have. No ladies , you NOT just moms!

6. Samson says:

If you want to see activism that is inspiring and a darn fine example to all of us stoners–go to FreeKeene.com

7. Buggsy13420666 says:

I would like to know who are the people that say that smoking pot is related to men. That is the first time in my life i have ever come across a statement like that. Male or female, we are all in the same boat as far as being in the closet on marijuana use, medicinal or recreational. When you live ia a state like Indiana, the only laws we have are fines or jail time and so called rehabilitation. MARIJUANA PROHIBITION does not have distinction of whether you are a female or male just a body count of victims of unjust marijuana laws and the Stormtrooper mentality that enforces these laws, THE UNICORN MAKERS. TOKE ON STILETTO STONERS. 420 ALL THE WAY!

8. Joseph "Ironman" Siler says:

OH BIG DEAL. I have been a responsible user of cannabis for 41yrs. In all that time I have never known a female consumer of cannabis that ever woke up in the morning and wondered “Just who was that masked man, and just what the hell did I do with him?”. I have never known ANYONE who didn’t wake up because they smoked too much. You simply can’t do that. I however know several people who didn’t wake up because they drank too much. None of my cannabis consuming friends were ever found dead in the mangled wreckage of a car. Several of my drinking friends were, and yes I was almost one of them. There is absolutely NO good reason for arresting, and/or incarcerating responsible adult cannabis users. NONE! Tell me ONE that I can’t blow flat out of the water. Just ONE.

9. Joseph "Ironman" Siler says:

Please do not missinterpret NO BIG DEAL. I have known successfull women who consumed cannabis for a very LONG time, so to me “It’s NO BIG DEAL.

10. K. says:

These women are voters. I believe they have the power the legalize this lovely plant. If coming out parties become real popular, and i see no reason why they should not, the politicians will be scared into submission in no time.