Medical Marijuana: Why I Give My 9-Year Old Pot

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director October 12, 2009

In the recent wake of Stiletto Stoners, comes part two of Marie Myung-Ok Lee’s brave and revealing account of how medical cannabis helps her autistic 9-year old son. Read part one here.

090512_xx_Marie Lee

Marie and her son J. live in Rhode Island, a state where the legislators have both the chutzpah and foresight to have overridden two vetoes from the Governor (and pressure from the federal government anti-drug officials and law enforcement) in the last 24 moths to create the legal and public health framework necessary for Ms. Young and her physician to be able to effectively and safely treat J. with cannabis-oil cookies.

091005_marielee_AThis essay, and others by women for whom cannabis plays an important role in their lives, are becoming more and more common in the mainstream media to the point where a forum or advisory body about ‘women and cannabis’ is certainly warranted.

NORML wants to convene such a confab in 2010 and seeks input from cannabis consumers and the general public about what kind of topics should be discussed and who should the speakers be. Please send your suggestions and feedback to: conference@norml.org

This essay was originally published at Doublex.com.

72 Responses to “Medical Marijuana: Why I Give My 9-Year Old Pot”

1. General-Jake says:

Wow a nine year old pot? For autism? Theres gona be alot of people having a shit fit over that.

2. Deff Shepard says:

It is saddens me to think that the government sees an autistic boy and his loving mother as criminals.

3. Ziggy says:

It’s great to see people get over the “stoner” mentality and actualy realize that cannabis has a place in the medicine cabinet. Now if we can just get that message through to Washington and the 37 state capitals that refuse to listen.

4. southern man says:

Great story! Very inspirational. I hope lawmakers open up to make this situation possible in more states, as it seems that cannabis was the best treatment for this child’s condition.

5. Susan Dimock says:

Marijuana is like asprin: it has many medicinal uses, and if it works to make someone’s life better, so be it. If it works to calm a kid with aggressive autism, so be it. Obviously it should not be used for normal kid behavior just to suit the parent’s needs, but it is by far the safer drug when compared to the other choices when using them on children. Unlike asprin, though, it does not burn holes in the stomach, nor does it burn holes in the brain.

6. […] original post here: Medical Marijuana: Why I Give My 9-Year Old Pot Share and […]

7. alex says:

use me as a speaker, with CMT, Im a walking(barely..well…give it time) example of the miracle of pot…also happen to have a background in theater(man who came to dinner, 3 hours on stage) and public speaking…(weird for someone with a degenerative nerve condition)

8. Chrokee Fred Jesus says:

I know my son was loaded up with chemical drugs when he was young. Who knew we followed the doctors advice. Now my son is 25 he has a noticeable quiver in his hands caused by the toxic drugs and I know more that have been harmed by these drugs.

DO NOT BLINDLY FOLLOW WHAT EVER YOU DOCTOR PRESCRIBES. THEY ARE PAID DRUG PUSHERS PAID BY THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY TO PUSH THEIR FOUL CHEMICAL DRUGS…

I would have much rather see my children use NATURAL cannabis to help them IF OUR CORRUPT SYSTEM WOULD ONLY DO THE RIGHT THING AND MAKE IT LEGAL. OVERRULE GREED AND USE THIS HERB TO HELP MANY AND HARM NONE……

Cherokee Fred Jesus

9. Luke says:

Great article….its too bad more people can’t/don’t use the miracles of cannabis. Some don’t even know it can help with these “disorders”.