Drug War’s Underbelly Examined By National Public Radio

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director February 14, 2010

Kudos to the producers and editors at National Public Radio for the second time in a week for examining parts of the drug war’s underbelly, notably the economics of cannabis under prohibition and the immense problems created in America’s criminal justice system by its over reliance on  informants.

Annually, over $30 billion in local, county, state and federal tax revenues don’t find their way to public tax coffers because the government continues to prohibit rather than tax cannabis-related businesses, products and services. To make matters worse, an estimated $300-$400 million is paid out annually by law enforcement to confidential informants and snitches.

Another Public Broadcast Corporation entity, the long-running documentary series Frontline, performed an important public service when it broadcast Snitch in 1999.

In a free society guided by a constitution that secures numerous rights and privilege to individuals–with checks and balances on government power–the over reliance of snitches by American law enforcement is yet another terrible outgrowth attributable to a 73-year old public policy, cannabis prohibition, that has failed to the point where even greater government atrocities are justified to maintain the failed policy.

46 Responses to “Drug War’s Underbelly Examined By National Public Radio”

1. warren says:

T%he word is not snitch. The word is RAT. What do we do with rats.

2. William says:

Please lets end this war. would sure be nice to have some friends comming to my door again,or be able to talk to and trust my neighbors,and get along with my family.This issue is tearing our nation apart.

3. Matt says:

The cops need job security, money, money, money, even if it hurts, so long if it hurts us and not them, after all they have families to feed, not to mention all the cool things they get to do like carry guns, bully human beings, to get the respect they deserve but never got on the high school football team.
      To Protect and to Serve, the corporation!!!

4. twisted says:

my thoughts on this are up and down. i feel that there are other drugs out there that still need to be gone. of course i am pro weed the war on pot is stupid but i still dont believe other drugs like cocaine, meth, etc. should be legal. i just dont. i know its contradictory for me to be for legalization and be an actavist for pot but not for the other ones. but my point is even if pot was legal paying ci’s to bring drug dealers down i think would still be needed so idk dont hate me for it but thats just wut i think

5. ckdk30 says:

I hope those people have a good time spending crooked money, an hope they sleep well at nite. They r the fucking crooks

6. Freedom says:

As the coming economic crunch comes , we will see much more of this . People will be demanding the reduction of federally funded programs,if not the outright end to them.

7. J.N. Davidson says:

In 45 Years Of Growing & Consuming Cannabis I’ve Only Twice Had Any Contact With Law Enforcement & In Both Cases This Contact Was Caused By Snitches, Neither Of Which I Knew Myself, But Were Friends (Misnomer) Of Friends. I Managed To Avoid Any Major Jail Time In Both Cases, But I Paid A Very High Price (Literally) In The Money Wasted To Defend Myself & Over $100,000 Illegally Confiscated (Blatant Theft). I Chose Not To Be Filled With Anger Or Hatred, But To This Day I Think That The Only Activities That Are Lower Than Snitching, Are Rape, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse Or Pedophilia. I Believe This Insane Prohibition Is Now Only About The $Millions Paid To The Various Addicted To This Blood Money Bureaucracies Who Administer This Continuing Insanity In Protecting The Poisoning & Polluting Corporations Who Would Soon Exist Only In The History Books Should Hemp & Cannabis Ever Become Decriminalized.

8. J.H. de Raat says:

Mr. St. Pierre, the third person singular neuter possessive pronoun is “its”, and not “it’s”, which is the contraction for “it is”.

9. Jed The head says:

I love NPR. Maybe they would be willing to help NORML get the truth about cannabis out to the masses. I know their listener size may not be what the major networks are but they do reach a very well educated market. Advertising with them may be less expensive and target a market you haven’t reached in a while. They seem to understand that cannabis prohibition has created many ill effects on our society. They also seem to have morals unlike the MSM.

10. PressureKook says:

Trash collectors crack down on crime http://www.ocregister.com/news/drivers-233794-gavin-training.html

Now the government is using trash collectors as their lacky snitches!!!!!!!