Special 4/20 message from NORML’s Executive Director Allen St. Pierre

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director April 20, 2010

April 20, 2010

Dear NORML supporters and fellow lovers of liberty,

Happy 4/20!

While the ravages and costs of cannabis prohibition are largely defined by one’s geography — these days America is a hodge-podge of varying cannabis penalties, ranging from West Hollywood California where a medical cannabis patient can access the herb 24/7 from a vending machine; in Indiana, if caught with just a little cannabis on one’s person, they’re getting arrested, prosecuted and likely going to jail — this ’4/20′ celebration in 2010, as is NORML tradition, is a combination of both the serious and silly!

There will be dozens of major 4/20 ‘protestivals’ today from New York City to Seattle, to the expected largest one in the nation I’m speaking at in Denver Colorado. Major newspaper articles and stories on TV will abound by day’s end. In fact whole television networks such as G4, Comedy Central, Spike and Current TV will devote some or all of their programming today to celebrating cannabis and, implicitly, the herb’s reform.

Also today, NORML launches a new advertisement for 4/20 on Times Square’s largest electronic billboard calling out New York City politicians and law enforcement for having one of the highest — and most racially disparate — cannabis arrest rates in the United States. The advertisement will run 18 times a day until late May, and will be seen by an expected 1.5 million Times Square visitors.

These protestivals and public celebrations of cannabis culture in North America is a greatly anticipated and celebratory annual event at NORML since the mid 1990s, but the serious political message of this wonderfully creative day (beyond the obvious one of ‘re-legalize cannabis now!’) for this specific year is to direct as much NORML membership and public attention as possible to donate and support the voter initiative on the ballot in California this very November that will effectively legalize cannabis for adult use, cultivation and sales.

Going into our 40th year, NORML’s staff and board of directors have made the passage of California’s voter initiative to legalize cannabis the number #1 political priority for the organization.

To this end, the thousands of donations and $4.20 memberships received today by the NORML Foundation (or NORML) will be donated to TaxCannabis2010, the organization behind California’s legalization ballot.

I’m personally donating $420 in support of this very important political initiative in California — the state where 1 out of 8 Americans live, the 7th largest economy in the world if it were a country and with by far the largest delegation in the US Congress — in memory of my friend, the recently passed author-activist Jack Herer, the ‘Emperor of Hemp’.

TaxCannabis2010 has a goal of raising $42,000 by the end of today, with committed support from stakeholders from NORML like you and I, we can reach this unique dollar amount.

Become a member and send a special 4/20 animated e-card to a friend, family member or sweetie.

Thanks for all of your enduring support for NORML, cannabis law reform and for this important 4/20, TaxCannabis2010!

Please have a safe and hempful 4/20!

Cannabem liberemus,

Allen St. Pierre
    Executive Director
    Member, Board of Directors
    NORML / NORML Foundation
    Washington, DC
    director@norml.org

31 Responses to “Special 4/20 message from NORML’s Executive Director Allen St. Pierre”

1. nyd.nvk says:

HAPPY 4/20!! GO NORML!! :D

2. Anonymous says:

HAPPY 4/20!!!

3. I became a member today! Yay!

4. (hip says:

Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye. 4/20 blackbirds BAAKED in a pie!

5. Rhayader says:

Great message Allen, happy 4/20 everyone!!

It’s time to start knocking down this wall. Join up, break out the credit card, and throw a few bucks at this. We can’t complain about not getting the opportunities to make good things happen; this is right in front of us. Anybody who wants to see an end someday to cannabis prohibition should be donating, whether you live in California or Australia.

6. weedy says:

patchouli oil..for everyone…todays a great day , lets blaze thru it…..

Great artical…today is a awesome day

7. adam says:

happy 4-20 everybody, sidenote go cali!!

8. 2010 is the year for re-legalization!

Happy 4/20!!!

9. chris skinner says:

Sooner marihuana is legalised the better, I, for one, am sick of being treated as a criminal for my use of this herb

10. FRANCISCO LOPEZ says:

Hey all! Feliz 4/20!

11. WEED says:

HAppy 420 NOrml thank you for all your work!!

12. [...] sure to read this message from NORML’s Executive Director Allen St. Pierre. Come to Stephens Lake Park, and send us some pictures of your celebrations! [...]

13. 420Friendly says:

HAPPY 420 NORML

14. Beca says:

Being a NativeCalifornian I am so excited for my state this year! Also having been a Marijuana advocate for 42 years, i am very excited for myself!! Thank You NORML

15. munchmaster says:

happy 420

16. wash-voter says:

Thanks everyone. What a year for us all. Here’s to America opening it’s eyes to the future and shaking off the chains of the past. Just think how we can grow this country once we are free of this big ball and chain that prohibition has been.
      Holdin up my BIC for all of you tonight.

17. RenoMike says:

I’m a still-working comic almost 80 years old, been smoking pot for 65 years, and have never joined ANYTHING – no organization ever, except the US Marine Corps. Today I joined NORML, and couldn’t be prouder.

18. RenoMike says:

Today I joined NORML, and couldn’t be prouder.

19. Ryan says:

Happy 4/20!!

20. Anonymous says:

I also became a member today. Very proud to take action on 4/20/10, a most momentous day in what will hopefully be a most momentous year!

21. Jeremy R. says:

Happy 420 to all you must see Attack of the show on g4 they are doing a 420 special edition on 4/20 that is great

22. CannabisTV says:

Happy 420 everyone. We are set to make great progress this year. Share the truth of cannabis and hemp to friends, family and potential MMJ patients by having them check out CannabisTV.org. There’s great videos to watch and it’s also on iTunes. Dedicate this 4/20 to Jack Herer, the Hemperor, who was monumental to the movement and dedicated much of his life to spreading its message.

23. Jon Smith says:

NORML– Happy 4/20.

People will question how California can legalize pot when it’s still illegal nationally.

I know you guys love to use the liquor prohibition comparison so remember::: NEW YORK repealed prohibition by 1925 while liquor was repealed federally in 1933.

Meaning there is precedent to do this!

GOOD LUCK CALI!

24. [...] today to call for the legalization of marijuana. The executive director of the pro-pot organization NORML, Allen St. Pierre, is urging supporters to donate $420 to support a ballot initiative in California that would effectively legalize [...]

25. R. Giroir says:

My wish before I die, for Big Govt. to get out of my personal affairs, stop trying to protect me from myself, and to get back to the constitution and restore or civil liberties. As a user since 1970, I would like to thank God for the calming effect pot has. Not only helps w/pain, but also w/anxiety. How much longer can the populous wimper and conform untill theres another revolution or God forbid, assination(s)? If Congress hasn’t used (and it’s not for everyone) how can they effectively judge? We’re supposed to be in the land of the free, give us some freedom!!

26. intheshed says:

hope you all had an awesome 4/20. i could not enjoy the benefits as many of you did but, im glad you all did. hopin we can all some how make a difference for someone who knows not of the benefits of cannabis and can learn to stand as one for a great cause. what a great place the u.s. would be if we could all enjoy a little herb together without the fear of devastating loss from this stinkin law….good day to you all an please inhale for me…

27. RenoMike says:

I’m old. I have emphysema. I smoke marijuana frequently throughout every day. But…but…but won’t that reduce whatever short time of life i have left?

Maybe. Probably. Most likely. So it’s all about the difference, the few hours or days or even weeks than smoking pot will cost me, and how i want to live them.

Here’s how. Rather than spending that time being uptight and worried and dreading the inevitable, I choose to savor. I choose to be calm and happy and creative. I choose to live fully for the rest of my days, however many there are.

In other words, baked and at peace is way better than struggling to extend the grinding effort to simply keep on breathing. So hand me my one-hitter and stand back. I’m enjoying every second of the rest of my life.

Call me, we’ll have lunch.

28. Goinkersgirl says:

I am all 4 reform, almost 50 never thought I would see the day Marajuana would be leagalized. Old man in wash cty 8 – 23 Less 4 lbs. Lets burn for Goinkerman.

29. Videos of Southern California Norml Meeting 7-10-10…

I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

30. Events sponsored by Norml will be listed on this blog….

31. [...] Pierre, Executive Director of The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Law (NORML), announced on NORML’s website that he was donating $420 of his own money to the campaign in California to pass the Regulate, [...]