Fox News Host Calls For Jailing Missouri SWAT Cops Over Botched Pot Raid

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director May 11, 2010

Judge Andrew Napolitano, host of Fox News.com’s Freedom Watch, has long been on the right side of the war on drugs, and his scathing critique of the deplorable police actions in Columbia, Missouri is no exception.

(To recap for those who have not yet seen the video: under the cover of darkness, a team of militarized SWAT agents enter a family home and immediately engage in gunfire — killing one of two family dogs and wounding the other — and likely inflicting lifelong trauma to the family’s seven-year-old son. Police ultimately seized a small amount of marijuana residue and associated paraphernalia, which resulted in a misdemeanor charge and a $300 fine.)

In fact, Napolitano’s very first question to befuddled Columbia Mayor Bob McDavid is: “When are the cops who did this going to be arrested and put in jail where they belong?” It’s a valid question that, not surprisingly, leaves the new mayor speechless.

In less than a week nearly one-million people have watched the graphic and sickening footage from Columbia. It has, quite understandably, inspired public outrage and, apparently, some welcome changes in police procedure.

Yet as NORML Outreach Coordinator Russ Belville astutely points out on today’s edition of the NORML Stash blog, none of these minor amendments to protocol in any way gets to the heart of the problem, and that is this: Police and politicians still “accept the premise that this level of force is appropriate to keep people from using marijuana.” Ultimately, this societal mentality must change.

That is why, while on the one hand NORML (obviously) supports cannabis medicalization and decriminalization efforts, we also recognize that these efforts fall woefully short for many Americans. In short, the only way to fully protect all our citizens from these kinds of abhorrent events is through the legalization and regulation of marijuana for all adults. Help us make this a reality.

Stop the violence. Join NORML.

172 Responses to “Fox News Host Calls For Jailing Missouri SWAT Cops Over Botched Pot Raid”

1. Ginny says:

I’d like to know, why was this videod?

2. Anonymous says:

Fox News calls for jailing those pigs is just too soft.Like in Texas chainsaw massacre,those cops should have their testicles cut off with a chainsaw and their brains ought to be stir fried and eaten by those who have ordered the bust !

3. kurt says:

This carousel of hopelessness continues to ruin good peoples lives. We continue to see our government hide behind rhetoric that marijuana is a heavy narcotic. We have to hide our live from our family and children so as to not be demonized by a society that overtly uses and abuses “legalized drugs”, alcohol, tabacco, and others that are shown to have decidely worse side effects. We fill privatized jails and correctional facilities with pot offenders. We are missing out on the uses and benefits of this beautiful plant blah blah blah…Im tired of this battle fellow freedom fighters …save your seeds and hide your weed.

4. suzanna says:

What the hell is wrong with these ppl? A 300$ fine, excuse me what Judge would grant that?
      Im sure that the fact his animals were hurt, and killed, his child and wife tramatized, is enough.
      Change in policy, what the hell is that going to do? The cops and the judge that ordered the warrent should all be jailed, fined, and made to pay resitution to the family! Lets tack on the medical bill for the theropy the child will most likely need!!!

5. Jon says:

Why is this getting worse? Why why why. Out of control.

6. Fort Worth, TX says:

Police are like little Hitler’s waiting to get their opportunity to kill. Misdemeanor possession of marijuana justifies the right to kill? What’s happening to America? Are we really this out of touch? I was recently raided and the police threatened to shoot my dogs if I didn’t give them consent to a search of my house. To avoid death, I gave consent. I’m not violent and don’t want violence in my home, just a pot smoker. Will our government step up after this MO incident?

7. yolanda says:

my house was also rated on May 4t 2010 at 9:30 am,they did pretty much the same thing on this video,scared my 13 yr &15yr and a 5 month old baby i was babysitting,they found about 0z or so of marijuana ,that believe it or not that i use for my legs,it had orange peels (home remedy for years past from my grandma,was pretty much old and pretty much dirt and ya i smoke ones in a while,but never sell,they broke all my windows,my house pretty much empty due to me moving to Colorado.told them the baby was in the house and still broke window ,fired a bomb of some kind, very very loud,put my 13 yr old on the floor with a gun on all our heads even his,im serious, it was bad,this is US and we get treated like this, the land of the free, na this is not the land of the free we are in a scary land,the police treat us like animals,all they had to do was knock on my door and say can we come in we have a search warrant,i would of let them in no questions asked,this needs to stop,my kids are scared and hate the law do to all this,scary.

8. somedood says:

Nice to see a story about this but as much as I love dogs there have been plenty of people treated in this manner in this exact situation. If I recall correctly.. A while back a swat team got a no knock warrant for some old lady’s home on a tip about marijuana. They bust in scaring the shit out of her. Prompting her to grab her gun and start firing as she lived in a really bad neighborhood. The police killed her and found no drugs. Stupid drug laws.

9. John says:

Go Judge Andrew Napolitano! Go Fox News! I encourage all of you to contact Columbia Mayor Bob McDavid and express your outrage! I definitely will!

10. marie says:

Those cops should be arrested. An even better idea is they should all be shot in the face!