Marijuana Dispensaries Are Coming To New England

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director July 9, 2010

While New Jersey lawmakers continue to stall statewide efforts to provide legal patient access to medical marijuana, a pair of New England states — Maine and Rhode Island — have quietly and expeditiously embraced the process.

In Rhode Island, Health officials are deciding who among 15 applicants will receive state authorization to produce and dispense marijuana to the state’s 1,800 registered patients. And in Maine health officials gave public approval today to three separate nonprofit corporations to supply and provide patients with medical marijuana via six statewide facilities.

While it is understandable for activists and advocates alike to look forward to the day when the criminalization of marijuana has been lifted for all adults, we must also not overlook the significant process that we are making, and have made, in recent years. Even just three or four years ago it would have unthinkable to believe that state governments would be licensing private citizens to grow and dispense marijuana. But today we are seeing this progress happening right before our eyes. And even more encouraging, there seems to be very few people left who oppose it.

If you have not done so already, now is definitely the time to get active — and to get NORML!

24 Responses to “Marijuana Dispensaries Are Coming To New England”

1. doublejack says:

its good now that there doing it, besides some of the states accepting it medicaly now were having support from other places to encourage eveyone eventually thatll happen progress is being made:D

2. Benny says:

keep up the good work ¡¡ satay hi,hurry up the world its watching

3. Joel M. says:

tell cancer patients to instead of buying smokeable buds to reach for the hash oils and digest in small dosages. these are available at many dispensaries and can treat the root cause of the disease instead of merely masking symptoms

4. Fireweed says:

My issue with the medicalization of marijuana is that it implies that users are sick in some way. with evidence that mj protects against certain cancers, and has many other health benfits, it should be viewed as a wellness product, like a supplement. I’ve been at it for almost 40 years and my health is better than most 20-somethings.

5. The power of being verbally opinionated to support the legalization of MMJ or MJ is now evident. We’ve done all this in two years! What’s coming in the next year to two years MJ fans? :)

6. Jed The head says:

I’ve asked everyone on my Facebook page to join NORML. I tell everyone I know to join and support NORML. I hope all of you that read this do the same. My reason is I don’t think the government should be allowed to tell us what we can or cannot put into our bodies.After all who controls/owns our bodies? Do you really want someone in government having that much control over what you consume. They are now telling us how much sodium we can have in our processed food. Where will this end? Thank you NORML for protecting our personal freedoms!

7. J says:

If anyone is interested in the domain http://www.rhodeislanddispensary.com please let me know at jtcwholesale@yahoo.com

8. […] Marijuana Dispensaries Are Coming To New England Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:24:59  By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy […]

9. Just Legalize It says:

every single smoker should own a real good vaporizer

Extreme Vaporizer here

10. mtlasagna says:

will the dea be goose-stepping?