• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director August 4, 2010

[Editor's note: This post is excerpted from this week's forthcoming NORML weekly media advisory. To have NORML's media advisories delivered straight to your in-box, sign up for NORML's free e-zine here.]

The administration of THC reduces the tumor growth of metastatic breast cancer and “might constitute a new therapeutic tool for the treatment” of cancerous tumors, according to preclinical data published online in the journal Molecular Cancer.

Investigators from Complutense University in Madrid assessed the anti-tumor potential of THC and JWH-133, a non-psychotropic CB2 receptor-selective agonist, in the treatment of ErbB2-positive breast tumors – a highly aggressive form of breast cancer that is typically unresponsive to standard therapies.

Researchers reported, “[B]oth Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol … and JWH-133 …reduce tumor growth [and] tumor number [in mice]. … [T]hese results provide a strong preclinical evidence for the use of cannabinoid-based therapies for the management of ErbB2-positive breast cancer.”

In 2007, investigators at the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute reported that the administration of the nonpsychoactive cannabinoid CBD limited breast cancer metastasis in a manner that was superior to comparable synthesized agents.

Previous preclinical studies assessing the anticancer properties of cannabinoids have shown that they inhibit the proliferation of a wide range of cancers, including brain cancer, prostate cancer, oral cancers, lung cancer, skin cancer, pancreatic cancer, biliary tract cancers, and lymphoma.

Full text of the study, “Cannabinoids reduce ErbB2-driven breast cancer progression through Akt inhibition,” is available online here.

82 Responses to “Cannabis Once Again Shown To Halt Cancer Growth — So Why Aren’t We Studying It In Humans?”

1. david says:

two words…. hemp oil

2. william tucker says:

Allison. I am glad you made your post. If I was your hubby, I’d smoke a joint to keep from blowing your dumb ass off the planet. People can see that it is because of a******* like you that make our point poot keeps people non-violent and prone to due diligence put on a metal bra and commit hare kare.

3. william tucker says:

poot was meant to be pot I can spell but can’t type

4. Cory Rossi says:

You know, Denver County made ONE BILLION dollars in one year from dispensaries. Marijuana is VERY profitable and if it’s saving lives, why don’t we just legalize it?
      I’m tired of hearing that the drug cartels are bringing marijuana into Colorado. When, the truth is, over 75% of product here is homegrown and/or grown naturally from California, Florida, etc.
      So back onto the subject, why is marijuana illegal? Why was it made illegal in the first place.
      Thanks for listening.

5. PurpleDiamond says:

It sounds to me like you,Alison, needs to find a counselor right away!! There is no need to kill yourself over a fight about Pot. If you find it so revolting, then find a new group of friends. Hope you don’t kill yourself & if there is a moderator on here please track down Alison & make sure she’s OK!!!

6. william tucker says:

If chemo costs $40,000 a shot, and ny daughter had 5, then it seems obvious thatbig Pharma wouldn’t want pot legal, but wait who pays most of the tab besides the taxpayers? the insurance companies! WALAH!!! Why don’t NORML AND THESE OTHER GREAT ANTI PROHIBITION GROUPS GET INSURANCE COMPANIES to lobby congress for a fair DEA excluded testing of it’s medicinal properties, They have some pull!And as far as Allison, If you are two months pregnant, then what is sad is the DEA and their propaganda has screwed with your brain.

7. william tucker says:

Allison, If you are seriously considering suicide and murder of your unborn, then why not tell your husband that you want to try it once with him, It is the best antidepression medicine available.What have you got to lose?

8. jorgy says:

We’re all familiar with the various powers we’re up against-political, financial, pharmaceutical, turd brained. What I don’t understand is why we haven’t organized to fight for our civil rights. Legalization is a political issue. Roe v Wade (I support the ruling) was called on the basis of the citizen’s right to control her own body. Well, if that right is so paramount that one can decide to kill a fetus (and it is), how can anyone be legally sanctioned for choosing to consume a flower? I mean, seriously!
      We managed to get rid of Jim Crow and most legal sanctions based upon race-likewise with gender equality through the womens’ rights movement. It’s time to fight for legalization based upon our fundamental civil liberties. Sorry, Normal, but the medical cannabis route, while entirely valid, misses the central point. No institution has any right to decide what you put in your body. Period.
      We live in the craziest fucking country on the planet.

9. jorgy says:

We’re all familiar with the various powers we’re up against-political, financial, pharmaceutical, hysterical wing-nut. What I don’t understand is why we haven’t organized to fight for our civil rights. Legalization is a political issue. 1973′s ruling in Roe v Wade (I support the ruling) was called on the basis of the citizen’s right to control her own body. Well, if that right is sufficiently paramount that one can decide to kill a fetus (and it is), how can anyone be legally sanctioned for choosing to consume a flower? I mean, seriously!
      We managed to get rid of Jim Crow and most legal sanctions based upon race–likewise with gender equality through the womens’ rights movement. It’s time to fight for legalization based on our fundamental civil liberties. Sorry, NORML, but the medical cannabis route, while entirely valid, misses the central point. No institution has any right to decide what you can put in your body. Period. Let alone sanction your exercise of that right with harassment, arrest, prosecution and incarceration.
      We live in the craziest freaking country on the planet.

10. Rebel with a Cause says:

51 David

100% Pure Hemp Oil.

11. karma says:

They took one of the Civil Rights when they made it illegal in the first place. Look in wikipedia under religions practice of cabiuous. Very interesting reading so interesting I had to print it off. What I got off it: It is part of almost every religion on earth.

12. william tucker says:

Instead of the approach being taken, Let’s get people to convince our legislators to decide the issue on facts. Authorize Norml or mpp or any other anti-prohibition group to set up a plan to determine if pot is corectly scheduled. No medicinal value, high chance of addiction and Let a Medical college do double blind tests using marijuana grown by them using guidelines for strength and type, sativa or indica and keep the DEA out of the process and get it recheduled correctly prohibition over. What congressman -woman wouldn’t agree to a fair test?

13. jim says:

William I like your idea except “keep the DEA out of the process” is the really hard part.

The drug czar and the DEA don’t have any authority by the Constitution, they’re just a rogue department that does what it wants and only answers to the Drug Czar. Yes, their authority is arbitrary.

What amazes me is that no one has taken a trial to the Supreme Court in order to question the validity of the DEA, which is essentially an unnecessary prohibition machine used to terrorize the citizenry and create organized crime, yet is not authorized by our Constitution.

I guess even well-meaning yet ignorant mercenaries need to have a job

14. Kirk Sorenson says:

This isn’t the first time scientists have found a connection between marijuana and treating or preventing cancers.In a article published in The Journal of Psychoactive Drugs in 2008. This same evidence is being brought to light. A direct quote states that “a hypothetical link between marijuana smoking and cancer has been established based on a number of misleading assumptions. However, recent studies tend to suggest, if anything, an inverse association between marijuana use and cancers”. It’s completely insane that we have respected members of our scientific community saying one thing, yet the government will not acknowledge their findings. It’s about time our government begins releasing these studies instead of all the propaganda they air on tv ads.

15. DCW says:

There’s to much money being made right now by some very important people.

16. BionicTortoise says:

I’m studying it

17. Fernando Luis says:

Well this is my take on the entire thing. It does not cause cancer, it helps fight cancer it would save many thousands of lives BUT we are still selling cigarettes and alcahol like it’s independance day? FUNK that I did not go to war come back have 4 strokes so someone anyone could tell me what the hell i can or cannot put into my body? SCREW THOSE CRIME LORDS IN GOVERNMENT. I’m smoking pot regardless in New York and no one but a gunshot will stop me from helping myself.

18. Brinna Nanda says:

Ironman, I believe your experience is very compelling. Contact me through http://www.open.salon.com/blog/brinn_nanda and we can talk about getting your story told.

19. trishy says:

my mother 60 years old had both breasts removed 4 years ago…she is now given a month or two to live..for years her and my father smoked marajuana illegally…now she won’t even hear of trying it for some of her pain relief…she doesn’t want chemo or radiation treatment…her cancer is aggressive..and over the phone you can hear her voice crack up after taking her morphine..sad..that’s my mom n she is going to die..a morphine addict..when marajuana could make the quality of her life more comfortable and better.

20. CDXX says:

61 karma

They [Anslinger, Hearst, DuPont, and most of all Nixon] – violated our civil right with an unjust, politically influenced law – but – they didn’t kill our faith and sacrament – it still remains in tact today. They can supress God – but – they can’t kill God, or his gift to his creation. In fact – God and Satin are “at it” right this very minute. Let’s see who prevails by 2012. I’m betting on God!

21. Brinna Nanda says:

Trishy, I am so, so sorry to hear of your mother’s suffering — and your own. I went through this with my mom. Finally, she was willing to try it, and it made such a huge difference. I can do anything for you to convince your mom. I’m older than her, so maybe she’ll listen to me. . . :-) I did write a blog post about my experience with my mom. Maybe you would like to share that with her.

22. bill tucker says:

Hey you suggested that the booze distributors are against pot, they just donated $10000 to NO an org against prop 19 in Ca.

23. [...] Cannabis Once Again Shown To Halt Cancer Growth — So Why Aren’t We Studying It In Humans? [...]

24. OMG ERASE WHAT I WROTE! TALK ABOUT crazy. Its shit like that that ruins it for everyone.

25. [...] Re: Getting my dog high? actually, the cruel thing is that doctors could be using thc to cut tumor growth. Cannabis Once Again Shown To Halt Cancer Growth — So Why Aren’t We Studying It In Humans… [...]

26. Douglas Downey says:

We recently had an MRI on one of our dogs because she developed somewhat of a limp…after all diagnostics at the Michigan State University k9 oncology center…the results are a mass on the spinal cord in the cervical area near the base of her skull…basically the only options we were given was chemo or radiation, both of which are very likely to cause devastating side affects…they couldn’t get any cell samples with a spinal tap because of the location of the mass, can’t remove it…so our next move is medical marijuana seeing as I am a card holder and can legally obtain the substance…just wondering if anyone has any info on cancer treatment in dogs with cannabis? Studies say that CBD inhibits tumor growth and THC fights cancer cells?? Anyone tried this or known someone that has?? My thoughts are that there is nothing to lose, the dog is going to end up paralyzed at some point if the tumor doesn’t stop growing, it’s a slow growth so hopefully we can slow or stop it and prolong her life…I doubt medical marijuana will produce any negative side affects, hoping for some positive ones though…we are starting treatment immediately and will document every step. We are currently trying to figure dosage…85lb. All muscle,no body, fat bull mastiff/American bull dog high metabolism…

27. jimmy says:

watch this film

read these books

I wish you and your dog all the best. I don’t know about studies done on dogs, but mouse models seem to demonstrate antitumor properties. I too would ask, what’s the harm in trying?

In humans, the more cannabis you consume the longer and happier users live and enjoy life. People who use (smoke by burning) cannabis, have lower incidence of cancer than people who smoke nothing at all, pointing to cannabis’ ability to prevent tumor growth despite inhalation of combustion products. But maybe medibles (in very small dosages at first) might be better in helping her become accustomed to the experience, as opposed to smoke or vapor. THC is kind of “spicy” even when vaporized and dogs’ sensitivity to smells might turn them off, as opposed to small snacks that are appetizing.

The film is quite compelling in regards to the potential (or real) therapeutic benefits against cancer and tumor growth.

Very best wishes to you.

28. Douglas Downey says:

We decided on Oral ingestion of Simpson Oil as a treatment…consulted a Vet that has experience with alternative treatments such as non psychoactive CBD’s…so for anyone reading this, the dog is not getting high at all, the cannabinoids stop cancer cells from reproducing thus halting tumor growth…this is our targeted result, not getting an animal intoxicated, she is currently prescribed opioid pain relievers and steroids from MSU, that will be the only psychoactive narcotic that is introduced into this beautiful animal who without some type of treatment will soon be paralyzed…This is our last resort to try to improve the quality of what life she does have left and if it helps to prolong her life and that quality of…then I will do everything I can to publish our documentation of this study/life saving effort:) thanks for the info and your support Jimmy!

29. Douglas Downey says:

MSU does not adhere to this medicinal treatment, they did not advise us to try this or even have any comments when we asked them about it, we do not hold that against them, we thank the staff for the great care they provided for the dog while she was there and without their expertise and technology we would never have known there was a mass on her spine or why she was stumbling in the first place…but there are Veterinarians that have published studies on cannabinoid and THC treatments of cancer in dogs and there are some pretty positive results…hope we experience some as well!