Alternet: The Eight Most Absurd Excuses for Trying to Defeat Legal Pot
NORML Outreach Coordinator and AudioStash producer extraordinaire Russ Belville has an excellent commentary on Alternet.org today deconstructing several of the myths purported by those opposed to California’s Prop. 19 (and cannabis legalization in general).
Here are the myths:
The Eight Most Absurd Excuses for Trying to Defeat Legal Pot
8. The federal government will pull all of its contracts with California businesses because they won’t be able to drug test employees!
7. Legalizing marijuana for healthy people will end medical marijuana for sick people!
6. Legalizing marijuana will never raise any money because the social costs would outweigh any fiscal benefits… look at alcohol and tobacco!
5. Big Tobacco will buy up great huge tracts of land in Northern California and mass produce lousy joints pumped full of toxic addictive chemicals!
4. Today’s pot is fourteen times more powerful than Sixties weed and will lead to more crack babies!
3. People who smoke marijuana in the same apartment building as a child will be arrested! (Not that your landlord will let you grow pot anyway.)
2. Legally home-grown marijuana will lead to outbreaks of toxic deadly molds!
1. Workplaces would be overrun by workers smoking marijuana on the job!
Read Russ’ comprehensive rebuttals to these claims here. August 19, 2010