• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director October 8, 2010

C-Span TV: Marijuana Legalization and California Ballot Initiative Prop. 19 To Be Debated and Discussed This Saturday; NORML Director Allen St. Pierre vs. Former DEA Administrator Asa Hutchinson

Update: Watch today’s program here. The 45 minute discussion on legalizing cannabis starts at the 2:19:30 mark. Like the many current commentators’ lament, I too wish more questions were directed to the reform side and/or allowed some rebuttal to any number of Mr. Hutchinson’s misdirections and contradictions. However, unlike AM radio or cable TV news shows, guests on C-Span are encouraged not to talk over each other, keeping answers short, and to try to take as many calls as possible from viewers.

As noted, as has been the case every single time I’ve appeared on C-Span, most of the callers are critical of the current policies and favor law reform.

I’ve been invited back to C-Span to debate and discuss the topics of cannabis legalization, and specifically California’s upcoming vote on Prop. 19, a measure that if approved by the voters will effectively legalize cannabis in America’s most important state politically and economically.

Former Drug Enforcement Administration chief and Republican congressman from Arkansas Asa Hutchinson has stepped up to argue in favor of the status quo and continuing into a ninth decade of Cannabis Prohibition.

The live interview is scheduled to broadcast Saturday morning (10/9/10) on C-Span TV, 9:15am – 10:00am (eastern…sorry west coasters!).  Like most C-Span shows, the public is invited to ask questions or make short commentary.

This C-Span interview is likely the result of the Wall Street Journal publishing an unprecedented jointly signed letter earlier this week by every previous DEA administrator predictably calling for the Obama administration to actively oppose politically viable cannabis legalization voter initiatives in places like California  (just the way they did).

Is the body politic (and the mainstream media that has so aptly aided and abetted these technocrats’ blatant disregard for democracy, science, compassion and common sense) really, really nervous about the cataclysmic blow that California voters are about to level on a self-evidently failed federal government public policy—another ‘war’ lost by government?

As one overexposed, former half governor is known for saying all too frequently: Youbetcha!

See you on the Groove Tube!

115 Responses to “C-Span TV: Marijuana Legalization and California Ballot Initiative Prop. 19 To Be Debated and Discussed”

1. Reginald B Good says:

In this country founded on Democracy, are the choices we make at the ballot box going to be ignored by the loosing side? Does the same apply to the politicians who lose to their opponents?

2. rick says:

nail him allen ,u wont have to make him look supid he will do that on his own these prohibitionist just wont give up and let us legalize it how stupid and absurd they are or do they just want the govt. to keep them with jobs lay all the drug warriors off and let them get realjobs instead of harming smokers, i hope prop 19 passes and spreads to other states

3. Med says:

I will help spread this video as far as I can just as I did with the last ABC News Nightline video. As long as I wake up early enough tomorrow morning…

Anyone know if C-Span archives videos in the case that I miss it?

4. Stompedonmyrights says:

“Is the body politic and the mainstream media that has so aptly aided and abetted these technocrats’ blatant disregard for democracy, science, compassion and common sense really, really nervous about the cataclysmic blow that California voters are about to level on a self-evidently failed federal government public policy—another ‘war’ lost by government?”
      That’s right brother and sisters, it worth saying over and over.
      Drive the spear of truth DEEP into the belly of this evil bitch and lets put an end to this 70 plus years of bullshit and wayward government behavior.
      Vote yes on prop 19, get the word out, don’t let up until the landslide vote is in and done. Get the word out, we have them and their lies on the run. Push harder with each day left. Do not let them up or out, we have them for the first time, lets make sure it not the last State but the first of many.
      GO CA Citizens, the entire planet is praying and hoping for your victory in Nov.
      Tear Down That Wall, we know your vote can do it and will.

5. Brett says:

In the name of Duke Nukem, may you kick ass and chew bubblegum…

6. mtlasagna says:

dea = fascists

asa hutchinson was the smoke blower for mena arkansas cia drug hub. clinton was gov during the drug smuggling.

why doncha ask him about it?

7. PeteinNC says:

Allen,you always do a great job at these debates, just make sure he can’t get away with grouping pot in with heroin or crack.I was so impressed with the way you handled that Darling idiot from the Heritage whatever, but he got cornered and kept calling you a hypocrite for not supporting hard drugs. Everyone needs to know the history of cannabis and ALL of its benefits. Keep up the good work! – Pete

8. VIllein says:

I agree with Rick. He will make himself look stupid. I wish I could hold him down while you hold the hammer. (figuratively) I know you will be prepared, and that will make the difference. But to win an argument the single most important thing you need to be is right. And right you are.

I thank everyone who contributes to Norml.org as I have learned a lot, and feel better about my decisions in the past to smoke. Cannibus helps me sleep with a rod in my back, and the prescriptions given to me could have killed me due to my heart condition and since been taken off of the market. Not to mention help me deal with the stress of current society. Stress alone almost killed me a year ago. I now choose not to smoke as I can’t afford quality (most importantly know it hasn’t been tampered with something, like for example formaldehyde. I now roll my own ciggerettes due to FSC. Just look on Youtube or Google…). I can’t afford to grow it, and lose my right to vote or defend myself with a firearm.

Cannabis is the pink elephant in the room. Everyone knows someone who does it, and if they thought they should be in jail, then many would in fact get them sent there. This shows that even if they disagree with it, something isn’t right about jailing someone over it.

To me, it is an important issue about freedom. All anyone has to do is look at the history and say this is outrageous. Not to mention that, as we are reminded on this website often of, the prohibition “experiment” has failed and we are much worse off for it. It is an example of the supreme tyranny we face in this country. All we have to do is say enough, and we can take back our rights, including growing an exceptionally harmless plant with many benefits, many of which we may not have even been allowed to research and discover yet. I am an emotional person, but I have been jaded. I haven’t cried in a long time. But if this passes, I do believe the hope it will give me will make me weep.

9. Jose says:

I love how Rob Kampia said in a debate “if you think its all that bad, then why wouldnt you want it regulated” he left Glenn Beck speechless, you might want to use that if Asa Hutchinson is getting out of line with the lies he spews.

10. sigh says:

those in support of it are being a tad narrow minded in the view that those who aren’t are being selfish, or are “stupid”…there are a LOT of people with serious medical conditions who have major issues with this prop…so much so that they will be voting “NO”. Considering MMJ is a joke concept to many, what will be said when a county decides to opt out of this? The integrity of medical marijuana goes out the window. the hopes of it being seen as medicine goes out the window.

dont be too upset when the outcome is not positive…as if it doesnt pass many will be upset, but if it does, you still will be upset when its stuck in court over the many many issues that include the financial side of money from the government for the state.