Prop. 19 Opponents’ Verbal Bluster Is Just The Latest Sign That We Are Winning!

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director October 18, 2010

In response to Friday’s threat by the Obama administration that they will “vigorously enforce” federal anti-marijuana laws in California, regardless of whether voters enact Proposition 19 this November, I have the following commentary in today’s edition of The Hill.

Obama administration may back marijuana prohibition, but that doesn’t mean that California voters have to do the same
    via The Hill

[excerpt: Read the full text and comment on it here.]

Despite the claims from Prop. 19 opponents that the measure would be ‘preempted’ by the federal government, at no time has the administration challenge the fact that Californians have the legal right to determine their own marijuana policies. Rather, the federal government has simply reinforced that they remain of the opinion that pot ought to be criminally outlawed — a position that is clearly out-of-step with the American public’s sentiment.

Furthermore, Californians have been here before and not just in 1996, when a majority of voters decided in favor of legalizing the statewide medical use of marijuana. Seventy-eight years ago this November, Californians overwhelmingly voted for the repeal of a morally, socially, and economically failed public policy – alcohol prohibition. Voters did not wait for the federal government to act; they took the matter into their own hands. And they will likely do so again this November.

Finally, it goes without saying that the federal justice department — verbal bluster aside — lacks both the resources and the political will to take on the role of targeting and prosecuting the estimated 3.3 million Californians who are presently consuming cannabis for non-medical purposes. These duties are relegated to state, not federal, law enforcement officials. Just as medical marijuana has existed as a legal market in California, in obvious violation of federal Controlled Substances Act, Prop. 19 will too remain the law of the land post-November 2.

My commentary is already the ‘most viewed’ and ‘most commented’ story on The Hill’s website, but you can still leave the Obama administration your two cents here.

Speaking of the Administration’s announcement, we now have L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca stating publicly that he will instruct his police officers to disregard the voters decision regarding Prop. 19. “Proposition 19 is not going to pass, even if it passes,” Baca has stated publicly. That’s right; we now have high ranking members of law enforcement bragging that they will openly engage in behavior that disobeys state law. I believe that society has a word for people like that: ‘criminals.’

Of course, reformers ought to take comfort in the Administration’s and Baca’s latest comments, as it shows that the supporters of prohibition — what few that are left — are running scared. After all, if our opponents weren’t convinced we were going to win on November 2, they wouldn’t be spending so much verbal bluster — and believe me, it is strictly bluster — on what they are going to do, or not do, on November 3.

99 responses to “Prop. 19 Opponents’ Verbal Bluster Is Just The Latest Sign That We Are Winning!”

1. Bob says:

“Baca said legalizing marijuana would have far-reaching repercussions, including increasing the costs of drug rehabilitation . . . .”

Actually, legalizing marijuana would vastly decrease the costs of “drug” “rehabilitation” since untold tens of thousands of recreational consumers of marijuana no longer will be forced by some scowling nanny in a black robe to pretend to money-grubbing pseudo-psychologists / rehabilitation charlatans that the consumers have a “problem” which needs to be “corrected”.

2. Drew says:

I would suggest early voting for people who can. This puts the vote on paper (at least based on my experience).

I am not sure what the state of voting machines is in CA. Probably a smattering of styles.

Given the evil minded intent of so many in government I would not put it past them to screw around with the machines to make it seem the measure did not pass.

Given people’s affection for power and money, and looking at history, I don’t have any hesitation to suggest there will be voting “irregularities,” and out-and-out fraud: lost ballots, dead people who vote, computer voting machine viruses, etc…

I wish I had a good suggestion on how to keep them in check. But the clear fact seems to be the wolves are guarding the henhouses.

The best answer I can think of is to so overwhelm them with Yes votes that even their “accidentally” wiping machines or votes from their dead relatives are no match for the sheer number of Yes votes.

3. Keith H says:

What I am thinking is that when prop 19 passes the fed will try to make examples of anyone submitting taxes to the cali state gov for marijuana. I believe this tactic is to try to keep the supply in the black market, so when violence comes on the cultivation side they can say told ya so. I was wondering is there anyway the state can hide what where the taxes are actually from.

4. weweed says:

How are they going to enforce their own criminal ways when there’s going to be a Giant sucking sound from the millions of folks that will migrate to Cali. to enjoy some spleef ? Yes on 19 please ! thank you !

5. Andrew says:

This is a clear 10th Amendment situation; the people of California have every legal right to create and administer their own perspective cannabis laws. The time has come to end the arcane morality laws of the early 20th century. Alcohol prohibition was a complete failure, it’s time for America to wake up and end the “War on “drugs”

6. Corey says:

basically, we native and non-native California voters are going to vote yes and we will then be smokin’ legally

7. Kenny :)-~~~~ says:

@ Drew… a paper trail should be mandatory… there is no doubt in my mind that computer based voting machines are easily rigged….In my opinion every ballot should come with a numbered receipt and copy for the voter.. and all tallies should be entered into an online site where voters can check to see if their ballot number is listed and was counted correctly…… with the era of a swipe card for everything it should be easy to do set up… a simple scanner type system could count your vote and post online at virtually the same time… the technology is already proven with credit cards and such… I totally believe the two Bush Jr.s elections were rigged… call me paranoid, but I do not trust the government, bank’s, and lawyer’s… anyway… just a thought!

8. JC says:

Hi everyone, I love all your comments, but I cant help being blown away by the negativity from our yes we cannabis president. I have been a strong supporter of the Democratic party even though I am a registered independant, I hope the see their mistake before the next election. Go California yes on 19!

9. Nephwrack says:

Baca is blustering. the decriminalization has already been signed into law even if by some messed up twist that prop 19 doesn’t pass.