Mothers For California’s Prop. 19

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director October 20, 2010

The Associated Press has pulled together an excellent video package of mothers speaking out in favor of California’s Proposition 19. These collective voices and images make a powerful statement.

ABC News also highlighted yesterday’s ‘moms’ press conference, which came on the heels of a just-released Survey USA poll finding that voters endorse the measure 48 percent to 44 percent. You can read and watch ABC’s full coverage here.

You can also read Hannah Dershowitz excellent commentary, “Why Parents Should Support Legalizing Pot,” here.

19 Responses to “Mothers For California’s Prop. 19”

1. Clayton says:

Lol, “There is a time and place for everything, it’s called college.”

Did she just steal a line from chef off of Southpark?

Prop 19 better pass

2. Tony says:

Behold the wonder of truth now even mom knows what best.

3. Brian says:

I am truly surprised how many of my pro-mj CA friends are voting against prop 19, citing over regulation. I am really concerned, I want this passed, but it also isn’t my state.

My take is that even if CA doesn’t get it perfect, it can be changed and/or done better in other states. I was just surprised how many of my friends there are voting against it, who use mj. It’s about 50% voting against.

Can a NORML editor elaborate and discredit these rumors?

[Paul Armentano responds: Prop. 19 takes presently illicit behavior and makes some of that behavior legal. For instance, non-medical adult use of marijuana in the privacy of one’s own home is currently illegal; Prop. 19 makes this behavior legal. Prop. 19 does not define marijuana use in front of minors, where they may be subject to second-hand smoke, legal — which means that this specific act would remain penalized, but that penalty would remain the same as it is today, which under SB 1449 is a $100 infraction.]

4. thanks mom says:

Good job moms. It seems that if we really care about the children we would encourage legalization of a safer substance. In our current times, on most TV shows, we glorify binge drinking (which is sometimes fatal due to the toxicity of alcohol). If we remove the negative stygma from cannabis then we can see it for what it is, a safer alternative.
      I hate it when I see and hear TOOLS like Bill O’Reilly spout off with “WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN” and then you come to find out that he’s for removing the children from their homes, having their family pet murdered, and their parents’ property stolen and sold to buy more bullet-proof vests. Yes, Bill what about the children?

5. Old blue man says:

O how i wish we in texas had them women here. But them they wude be arest and there childern thakes away from them.

6. Kosher says:

I really hope Prop. 19 passes, that would be absolutely great. Finally adults will be able to have the chance to enjoy some cannabis while in the privacy of their own home. Whether it be to unwind after a long day at work or even if they want to hit a quick bowl before jumping on the game system we will finally be able to. All I can say is it’s about time Californians are taking the initiative to legalize marijuana. I just hope they would’ve done this sooner; at least 10 years sooner.

7. Kevin says:

“One of the biggest complaints is the penalty you receive if you use marijuana in the vicinity of minors. I can drink in front of my little son, but rumor is that there would be extreme fines and jail time if you do when prop 19 passes.”

I’m glad that there will be penalties if you choose to smoke in the vicinity of a minor. Unlike drinking, one can receive the effects of marijuana just by being in the same room. Of course it is substantially less, but really, who wants their 4 year old getting a contact high. Those who wish to vote no because of this “issue” aren’t looking at the big picture. The parents who are irresponsible enough to smoke with their children in the same room are going to do it whether it is legalized or not. You can still be high in the presence of a minor (not that that’s advised…), you just have to smoke it elsewhere.

Great video though, I’m glad all kinds of people have gathered together to support prop 19. and I agree with Clayton, the reporter definitely stole that line from Chef. =D

8. nathan says:

I see that you posted the results of Survey USA’s poll. I wondered if one of the editors (or anyonefor that matter) had any comment on the three other most recent polls that have prop 19 losing including the PPI CA poll that had support around 52% about a month ago. I’m not here to knock prop 19 (I whole heartedly support it) or rub those results in anyones face but I am worried about it’s chances now

9. Nic says: