NORML Women Campaign For Cannabis in High Style

• by Sabrina Fendrick October 20, 2010

The image of pot is changing, and the NORML Women’s Alliance is blazing the trail;   one high-heeled step at a time.

(From left to right: Sabrina Fendrick, Margot, Pepper, Shaleen Title, Anne Davis, Diane Fornbacher-Wall, Greta Gaines)

A little over one week before California voters will decide on proposition 19, a ballot initiative to legalize and tax marijuana for recreational purposes, the NORML Women’s Alliance and creators of Pot Couture, the first online magazine for sophisticated lady stoners, joined with several other female cannabis activists to spread the message of marijuana reform with a high-style photo shoot designed to reframe the perception of the marijuana legalization movement, and the stereotype of those involved.

The women gathered for the photo shoot are activists and professionals who support proposition 19.  The online magazine partnered with the NORML Women’s Alliance in 2010 with the shared mission of giving a voice to the women in America who oppose marijuana prohibition. “The passage of California’s historic ballot initiative Proposition 19 is a priority for women who recognize that legalization and regulation will create a safer environment for children and families,” says Sabrina Fendrick, coordinator for the NORML Women’s Alliance.

“There’s still this idea that supporters of marijuana reform are on the fringes of society, but that’s just not the case. Marijuana is as mainstream as it gets, and these women are proof,” says Pepper, of Pot Couture.

“Regardless of what happens in California in November, marijuana reform is an issue that is here to stay,” adds Margot of Pot Couture. “The medical benefits of marijuana are proven, and the economic opportunities are real. American women are savvy, and they have no interest in funding a losing war on drugs.”  Margot and Pepper are the two characters depicted in the magazine.

New Jersey NORML Executive Director, Anne Davis, Esq argues, “What we need are common sense marijuana regulations that are practical and enforceable. Marijuana is not nuclear energy or heroin; it is a plant with incredible qualities.  To hold that a natural substance should be prohibited while far more dangerous man-made toxins are permitted is insanity.”

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) speakers bureau director and attorney Shaleen Titlesays, “The pro-legalization cops, judges, and DEA agents at LEAP believe that taking back control of the marijuana trade is about de-funding the only groups that benefit from the prohibition of marijuana – violent gangs and cartels who control its distribution and reap immense profits by murdering rivals and supplying drugs to kids.”

Also taking part in this game-changing makeover of female cannabis consumers are Nashville southern rock singer Greta Gaines, and long-time activist Diane Fornbacher-Wall of the Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey.

Gaines sums up the purpose of the campaign by saying “if so-called prohibition had succeeded in reducing use rates, reducing crime, decreasing our prison population and benefiting our social and economic conditions, we, the NORML Women’s Alliance, would not be here today.”

All participants in the NORML Women’s Alliance and PotCouture.com photo shoot are available for further comment. For more information on the NORML Women’s Alliance, PotCouture.com and their upcoming campaign please contact sabrina@norml.org.  For behind the scenes footage and the making of the shoot, click here.

NORML would like to thank everyone who was involved in making this campaign possible: Michel Leroy (Lead Photographer), Jen Rosado (Fashion Stylist), Crews (Hair),  Brandon Remler (Photographer), Patricio Robayo (Photographer), Margot Mendez (Makeup), and Marvin Stevens (Hair).

24 Responses to “NORML Women Campaign For Cannabis in High Style”

1. nick says:

love hot chicks who smoke…….legalize it.

2. malinda says:

Marijuana users have many faces, Dr’s Lawyers, Mothers, Teachers,And of course Diva’s. not only street hustlers, that are displayed on t.v. and news But 75 percent of them are good, tax paying, hard working, honorable people. thanks for your time.

3. mike says:

Thanks to all coming out and making a stand. Bringing ignorance into the light is whats needed here. Education, rescheduling, decriminalization, and legalization in whatever order it comes. FREE GODS WEED—>cannapeace

4. dave says:

when she is wright she is wright. Anne Davis is only speaking the truth. alchol is more dangerous then pot. just at the facks and they will show you how many people have been killed and how much trouble alchol cause canppered to pot. WAKE UP LAW MAKERS.

5. theo says:

I just saw a disturbing video at http://weedaclaus.com/ about Patricia W. Smith, 55, sentenced to 2 years in prison for growing plants. She lost everything; her freedom, her savings, her home. When the prohibitionist actually lose, what’s to become of all the victins of prohibition? It took the U.S. 50 years to compensate the Japanese-Americans interned during WW2. How will we compensate the families who lost their homes? What about all the people still in prison, like Chris Diaz, serving life terms just for possessing plant leaves in the wrong state? Why does the MSM still report it as manufacturing marijuana when its just growing a plant? I really want to know.

6. John Malmo says:

THIS IS GREAT STUFF!! YOU GO, GIRLS!

7. Cat Person says:

I am so glad to see these brave women standing up for this. I am also a little worried about the recent poles showing support for Prop. 19 is slipping. And at less than 2 weeks before Nov 2nd too. Why now after being ahead for so long ? Did the Feds scare eveybody?

8. CannabisTV says:

NORML, ABC News has an article on HPV cancers rising. It mentions cannabis as part of the reason. “The epidemiological risk factors” include “marijuana exposure.” A good response left in the comments was this:

A NORML article from July 30, 2009 talks about a Cancer Prevention Research study showing that “marijuana use, even long-term, is associated with a “significantly reduced risk” of head and neck cancers.”

More garbage propaganda by the mainstream media in an effort to instill fear and uncertainty in the minds of Americans. Here’s hoping to Prop 19 passing in Cali, and in Oregon we’ve got Measure 74 proposing a legitimate MMJ dispensary system. Check out CannabisTV.org for more info and videos!

9. Freedom Forall says:

Now thats a bunch of SMOKIN women !

10. [...] the NORML Women’s Alliance: A little over one week before California voters will decide on proposition [...]

11. Bhonze says:

It’s a shame if people will still believe the lies from the Drug Czar that he told while in Cali. Just look at the statistics he gives. Young people are in rehab as an alternative to a Felon charge. You need to ask yourself just why is it that the administration wants to keep cannabis illegal. They talk about Prevention and treatment, well ok if you want treatment but millions don’t have a problem. We like to smoke our Weed! If you feel you have a problem well ok get treatment but still no one should have to endure arrest or have law enforcement interfering with what responsible adults choose to do. Ask yourself why does the administration choose to keep the $$ running threw the hands of Criminals rather than law abiding citizens that will pay taxes? Sounds to me the Aministration already have their hands DEEP in the pockets of the Underworld and they don’t want to let it go! Californians, YOU need to come out and put an end to this mess. Our youth does not need to have any kind of record for choosing to try Cannabis. NOV-2ND LET’S END THE WAR ON CANNABIS!!!

12. Scott Kelley says:

As California takes this on I believe the people will adopt it and support it. As this is a trend happening other states will probably use the model and adopt the waste of time on the war on drugs and move to a free society of personal choice with an understanding that what is good for me may not be good for you and visa versa and that no one or no entity should judge me and my choice. We are not all the same cookies as some would like us to be. So I support this movement and believe we all have so much more to learn about all the uses of cannabis and hemp and it’s sustainability going into a green eco friendly world.

13. weweed says:

Now that’s change I can Believe in ! Yes on 19 Please ,Thank you !

14. weweed says:

Btw Can anyone use the leaf logo ? Or is that too, copyrighted ?

15. stompedonmyrights says:

We have the Governments of these United States running scared! They are hitting the airways with every lie they have ever spun. They are lying about the polls being collectedin this country. LIBERTY!
      CA. citizens must push on, they have this country where it is suppost to be, in our hands. Vote and do not back down.

16. Samson says:

Ever heard of a girl who got date-raped because some lowlife guy slipped a “Ruffy” in her Joint……didn’t think so. however, I’ve heard dozens if not hundreds of horror-stories of rape that involve Booze. SO,…yeah, I can see why Women should start supporting pot-legalization, and everyone else that has a daughter/niece/sister…..ect.

17. Joe "Ironman" Siler says:

When they speak of cannabis causing cancer, I must ROFLMAO. I started treating Basal Cell Carcinoma(skin cancer)with cannabis oil over two years ago. I have CURED 4 cancerous lesions with the oil. I have 9 more lesions under treatment NOW. I estimate they will also be cured in 2 to 3 weeks. The 4 that I treated 2 years ago show NO sign of recurrance, in fact there is no sign that they were ever there at all. OH, no needle, no knife= NO SCARS. ladies I salute you for your courage.

18. You should hear the distorted B.S. I’ve heard out here in Cali. lately .For example ; ” there’s 28% more in drug rehabb’s for marijuana addiction here than across the Nation ” .” Legalizing Marijuana will increase the number for Marijuana addiction in Drug rehabb’s ” .

Unfortunetly the people that don’t smoke or use Marijuana believe this crap . Secondly you got more lies coming from Alcohol with them saying ” it’s a safety issue ” , but we know it is the opposite as what they are trying to make the foolish believe . Alcohol is first when it comes to safety issues .I think truthfully more people are careful when medicating and more careless when intoxicated under the influence of Alcohol . Like i say , it is the opposite .

19. Sharon Ravert says:

Thanks ladies!!!I am loving life!! We ladies will change the world!!!

20. Donald L McDaniel says:

Hi, I’m Donald…and I’m a “pot-head”. I’ve been smoking marijuana since the mid-60s, with a few years of no use during that time.

I was a right-wing “pentecostal christian most of that time. But I still smoked. Why? Let me try to list a few reasons.
      1) The Bible seemed more “real” to me when I was high.
      2) God made it, and gave it to Mankind, along with the rest of the seed-bearing plants.
      Those two reasons are more than reason enough to use it for my health, pleasure, and peace.
      But those aren’t the only reasons.
      3) We have every right to follow our State laws. As the Constitution says, “all other rights not given the Federal Government by this Constitution are expressly given to the States and the People.” [my paraphrase, since I don’t have access at this minute to my little Constitution on my iPhone.} I believe my paraphrase does no harm to the immortal words of our founding Charter.
      4) So, since the Constitution says nothing about the Federal government regulating such things as marijuana, we the People have every right to change the ancient and hateful anti-marijuana laws everywhere in our States. The People have a right to a redress of grievences under our Constitution. It is long over-due.

I’ve been waiting for almost 50 years for pot to be legalized. Please, Californians, don’t let my 50 years of waiting go to waste.

Thanks,

Donald L McDaniel

21. Joel: the other Joel says:

This is a better world.

Vote YES on Proposition 19

22. David762 says:

I can appreciate what these beautiful and courageous women have done and the risks they have taken in aligning themselves with the “legalize cannabis” revolution. It cannot but help by attaching some “class” to this noble cause. Thank you ladies, and NORML.

Now, where are our not quite so courageous “mainstream” politicians?

Stand up against tyranny, and vote YES on CA Prop 19 !!

23. [...] Click here to check out the NORML Women’s Alliance! [...]

24. Aaron says:

Hi,

Is there anyway I could get hold of

Joe “Ironman” Siler ?

I would really like to have some correspondence with him.

Thanks,