NORML Truth Squad Car On Patrol In Dallas

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director May 11, 2011

From NORML Daily Stash’s Russ Belville:

I’m always thrilled when I get word from one of our local NORML chapters about their new creative projects to capture the public imagination.  This latest treat from Dallas/Fort Worth NORML, however, is one of my favorites.

It’s the “Truth Enforcement Vehicle”, a former police car bought at auction.  DFW NORML replaced the red’n’blue lights with green LEDs and christened it vehicle #420 (of course).

David Sloane, Esq., public information officer for DFW NORML, tells us about the reaction from the public and from the police.

Cop photographing the Dallas/Ft. Worth NORML Truth Squad Car...

David’s been forwarding us progress reports on the Truth Enforcement Vehicle and in response, NORML Founder Keith Stroup warned that such a brazen appropriation of police imagery might bring with it some extra attention from cops, so be very careful to obey the law and not allow contraband in the car.  Sure enough, Papa NORML knows best, judging by today’s report from David:

Well, Keith Stroup’s crystal ball seems to be in fine working order.  I just got stopped in 420 TRUTH CAR on Loop 820.  I was driving under the speed limit and a FTW PD traffic unit working stationary radar on the shoulder started kicking up dirt and gravel coming onto the freeway before I even past him.  (Indicating to me they’ve been watching for that car.)

Then he noticed an old City of FTW vehicle inventory sticker on the dash.  “371… was that a traffic unit?”  I said no it was a Low-Jack car… but I re-numbered it to 420.  He kinda chuckled again and said he noticed and something to the effect of everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.   Then he asked if he could get some pictures!  I told him sure and turned the light bar back on for him.  He pulled out his phone and began snapping away.  (I got a shot of him… gettin a shot of me… attached!)

We exchanged cordial adieus and I was on my way. He wasn’t menacing or harassing at all.  I think they are just curious.   I’m sure those pics got the FTW-PD most-forwarded award for the afternoon shift!  Now just three more shifts to go!  LOL!

56 Responses to “NORML Truth Squad Car On Patrol In Dallas”

1. Adam says:

This is awesome!!! Glad to see things happening in Texas.

2. g says:

OMG! Brilliant!!!

3. robert cote says:

can u put some of these imn like CT around watterbuery

4. The American Genesist says:

You’ve got an amen on this one. We’ve talked about “Counter-enforcement” for some time. If being a vigilante is what it takes to bring justice into the light – amen brother! It’s better than violence from either camp. Let’s see how the fuzz likes it for a change. This is thrilling.

5. Matt "bitten" Riblet says:

surprisingly maybe they was once a True american. And inhaled the truth and not the lies in which the cannabis band wagon has been Rollin on for years now. You say most forwarded Picture in shift history. Well I say he sent it out to all the friends, that thought OMG. he’s a cop now. Don’t talk to him, or tell him NOTHING while we’re at the bar… oh look. He sent me a picture. OMG! HE’s NOT A BAD COP! he’s an AMERICAN!! WOOO here comes the truth

6. Jeff Chislett says:

We could use one of these in Toronto.

7. I love the idea. We should see more of these pop up all over the country!

8. penny says:

i love the “truth car”, i live around dallas, where can it be found? every city needs one, or two, or…… keep it up NORML

9. Igor says:

This is the favorite post I’ve ever read on NORML. Made me smile. I think the “truth enforcement” car is a stroke of genius. There should be one in every city!

10. i live in ft. worth texas and to see the truth car driving around really made me appreciate my following behind the cannabis movement in my time and age and hopefully sometime my children will be able to legally get marijuana in texas at some point and time