• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director August 10, 2011

The Israeli government this week formally acknowledged the therapeutic utility of cannabis and announced newly amended guidelines governing the state-sponsored production and distribution of medical cannabis to Israeli patients.

A prepared statement posted Monday on the website of office of the Israeli Prime Minister stated: “The Cabinet today approved arrangements and supervision regarding the supply of cannabis for medical and research uses. This is in recognition that the medical use of cannabis is necessary in certain cases. The Health Ministry will – in coordination with the Israel Police and the Israel Anti-Drug Authority – oversee the foregoing and will also be responsible for supplies from imports and local cultivation.”

According to Israeli news reports, approximately 6,000 Israeli patients are supplied with locally grown cannabis as part of a limited government program. This week’s announcement indicates that government officials intend to expand the program to more patients and centralize the drug’s cultivation. “[T]here are predictions that doctor and patient satisfaction is so high that the number could reach 40,000 in 2016,” The Jerusalem Post reported.

The Israeli Ministry of Health is expected to oversee the production of marijuana in January 2012.

Similar government-sponsored medical marijuana programs are also active in Canada and the Netherlands.

By contrast, in July the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) formally denied a nine-year-old petition calling on the agency to initiate hearings to reassess the present classification of marijuana as a schedule I controlled substance, stating in the July 8, 2011 edition of the Federal Register that cannabis has “a high potential for abuse; … no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States; … [and] lacks accepted safety for use under medical supervision.”

104 responses to “Israeli Government Officially Recognizes The Therapeutic Value Of Cannabis — Pot Production And Distribution To Begin January 2012”

1. ness says:

The Israeli government is a criminal organization, I know because i am Israeli living in Tel Aviv. All the Israeli government did was to put themselves in charge as the only, i repeat, the only MJ dealer in Israel. today the growers sell directly to the smokers. what the government did was put themselves in the middle and they are going to buy the weed and sell to people. they will make all the money and have all the control over the growers and smokers. they will make everyone suffer as they are used to. don’t be fooled with words. all they want is all the money and all the control over MJ. they are criminals and they use their power to make everyone suffer…

2. Max Lyubinsky says:

Hmmm….the U.S. usually threatens nations that are lax on enforcing marijuana laws (like Morocco and Lebanon, for example) with trade sanctions. Wonder how they’re going to deal with their Middle Eastern favorite and best military weapons customer now? I find this simply wonderful!

I’d seriously consider making aliyah to Israel just for this, but am somewhat opposed to having to serve in the IDF. I already served in the U.S. Army and one army was enough, thanks.

3. iDub says:

i guess i know where i’m going next summer… 🙂

4. This has gone on long enough and more and more of us are gaining on the problem,s with these stupid laws of probation against Gods greatest medicine ever grown on this earth. People like Ashlinger and now Leonhart both pupets of a messed up system have put our medicne in a catagory with cocain and LSD. Like they say {Man made cocain,LSD and alcohol. God made Cannabis}.We were lied to now laughted at in our seriousness of this problem and how we should resolve it.How could a country let a man suffer when the relief is there but your a criminal because you use it. It’s B.S! Kemo kicked my ass and still I suffer with the after math of the toxic drugs they purged through my body. I put my neck on the line for this great country for 6 yrs. and I’m afraid to use a God given medicine they used here in American befor the like’s of Ashlinger or Leonhart the puppet’s of the system the DEA needed to keep their monies coming in at the expence of the American tax payer’s you and me. Now it’s time they work for us and stop all the lieing. There has never been a drug war it’s a way for the rich to get richer.And the polotican’s use our live’s as game peice’s STOP THE WAR ON HUMANITY.

5. joad says:

I’ve read that the quality of the government produced pot in Canada is very poor. I hope the Israelis do it better.

6. gb says:

Israel is also building the infrastructure for charging stations all over the country. Vote the neanderthals out in 2012 ! It’s time. If they are still spewing those old lies about MJ, vote them out ! Let’s face it, if they are so behind the times in regards to MJ, they are most likely behind the times about everything else, too. Look at what they’ve done to our economy. We can stop going to jail or the morgue and fix the economy at the same time. 2012 !

7. Mrsmac says:

It is good news. Maybe they didn’t show Reefer Madness (a mind poisoner and bad joke) to their kids, and the real truth about cannabis will somehow make it into the American press. On the other had, I hate to see any government agency manage something this lucrative. Can you imagine the graft? The only way to stop this is to let everybody/anybody grow.

8. Sean Haddad says:

This is because of my potimism philosophy.

9. Joe nickel Sack says:

I’m sure Congress and the President will see the light now,right? I mean, how could’nt they.They are definitely solving all our other problems they had nothing to do with…right? I can’t wait to see the coverage now on Fox and CNN.Can anyone out there tell me what the Poll numbers are for the average Joe nickel sack worker that flat out refuses to ever be drug tested again by any employer?, Like myself.Course I guess it would’nt matter anymore anyway because Corporate America does’nt hire real Americans anyhow. All their hiring is done abroad or they bring in foreign workers so they can keep the lockout in place.Anyway I have faith in Congress, I’m sure they’ll do the right thing now…Right???

10. Fed-Up says:

The israeli culture has been flirting with Hashish for centuries.No?possibly thousands of years. It’s refreshing that they are getting back to their roots and enjoying something that was part of their heritage and should be…

And just think,this is part of the “Wave” that was caused by the 215 Amendment that was brought into law in California in 1996..

Imagine the Religious -Right Wing -Conservative Republican,Tea -Bag(what ever they call themselves) how shocked they would be to realise that the geographical area where the Bible was transcribed was an area that is indigenous to the Herb-Kaneh-Bosm is a Hebrew word.

Yet how out of touch they are…making Hashish a felony, because it can be “manufactured” by something like a human hand rubbing a Cannabis flower.. How about “we stomp on some grapes and make some Wine.is that some kind of evil Fabrication as well? Let us enjoy the bounty of the Earth the way God intended… Unless you believe in “Darwins Theory”
      “a bunch of apes trying to hump each other for domination and control’ if that’s the case then it’s time to start evolving idiots.