Oh The Irony (Part II): Obama The Home Brewer

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director September 21, 2011

Oh to be governed…by hypocrites.

Last week the nation watched President Obama bestow a rarely presented Medal of Honor to former Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer. News reports indicate Mr. Meyer requested to have a beer the night before with his former commander-in-chief before the formal ceremonies.

The two men were in fact widely photographed enjoying a beer on the White House back porch.

Where did the beer the two men consume come from?

The same news reports reveal that our President has become the first ever home brew resident of the White House, brewing a “White House Honey Blonde Ale”.

Is it not painfully ironic to the point of disgust that the President of these United States of America–an occasional tobacco consumer and home brewer–along with the Speaker of the House John Boehner (a well-known tobacco and alcohol consumer), can responsibly engage in these adult-oriented activities, while at the same time providing ample public resources and rhetoric for continuing the nation’s farcical and long-suffering Cannabis Prohibition (74 years as of October 2nd!)?

Next time you hear one of these two elected policy makers spout off about being ‘anti-drug’ and not being in favor of cannabis law reforms…just remember that both men are just selective Prohibitionists…and hypocrites.

Really! Who wants to be governed by hypocrites who possess this ‘Good for Me, but not for Thee’ mentality?

33 Responses to “Oh The Irony (Part II): Obama The Home Brewer”

1. Keith says:

George Washington was the largest distiller of Rye whiskey in the colonies, the Confederation and the United States…he grew a lot of hemp too!

[Editor’s note: Both points are entirely correct.]

2. I find it unconscionable for our President to allow Congressional leaders to continue prohibition, meanwhile, he enjoys the same luxuries that we want for marijuana consumers. I am tired of hearing how I am wrong, while they are right. I think that any politician who refuses to uphold the truth about marijuana should be ousted from office. Replace each and every single one of them. If law enforcement officers refuse to uphold these new laws, replace them as well. It is time for us to stand up and be counted as responsible citizens. We are not “crack heads”, or “meth heads”, we’re potheads. That means something to me, I am an herbal consumer that makes good decisions. Marijuana is my recreational drug of choice and always will be. Power to the potheads!

3. Yea he’s a tool alright. I bet he sneaks one hits of tobacco in the oval office bathroom. Think we need to just start referring to alchohol as a deadly drug. Headline. Obama pushing drug (alchohol) on our kids before he sends them off to die in his wars.

4. Ramos says:

As a fan of beers, I bet that beer is delicious.

As a fan of Cannabis, this is stupid. I believe Obama knows it and has his hands tied, though. He must be thinking to himself “the stoners must reaaaally not be liking me much anymore.” It’s all so unfair. They’re rubbing it in it feels like.

5. You can’t put anything more in the news to discredit Marijuana, the President and Government Agencies till the Presidential Election is under way. We’ve all been convinced that we made a truly big damn mistake voting for this nightmare life style we have. For our punishment for voting for Obama and believing the crap there’s a built in self scolding for our lack of intelligence in a choice for President. Are you enjoying your little vacation on unemployment?

6. iamsofaking says:

I’m sorry but I don’t see the hypocrisy in this situation. What does drinking or smoking tobacco have to do with pot? If they were sitting smoking pot in the photo THAT would be hypocritical.I’m a pot smoker and a home brewer and I can’t say I like the angle this article has taken. Attacking alcohol to justify marijuana just makes you look very one sided and unintelligent.

[Editor’s note: NORML is NOT attacking alcohol and tobacco products or their consumers. The point of ridiculing Obama and Boehner is that they choose to use far more dangerous and addictive ‘drugs’ while trying to maintain Cannabis Prohibition with a straight face.

Both men are clearly hypocrites for using alcohol and tobacco products while claiming that the use of cannabis constitutes a moral turpitude worthy of violent law enforcement intervention, arrest, prosecution and possible incarceration.

Citizens need to call out hypocritical politicians who don’t deserve the voters’ respect.]

7. Joel: the other Joel says:

About ten years ago I’ve chatted with people online who works at a beer brewery, and they are totally against home brewing as if it was a threat to their jobs.

———————————

I would be so nice to legally grow your own victory garden.

Please VOTE in the primaries!

8. Joel: the other Joel says:

I got to make this stupid remark:

President Obama is home brewing his own beer?!
      OH no …. what about his children!!!

9. Brad says:

If anyone has the opportunity to ask these guys (Obama or Boenher) a question, please ask “Do you support the prohibition of marijuana? And if so, can I get you on record to say you would support the prohibition of alcohol and tobacco since they are more dangerous substances?”

10. […] more: Oh The Irony (Part II): Obama The Home Brewer | NORML Blog … […]