We the People Want to End Marijuana Prohibition

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director September 22, 2011

We the People

Today, the White House launched its new, long-awaited website “We the People.” The administration describes the site as a “tool [that] provides you with a new way to petition the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues facing our country.”

The White House further promises, “If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.” The White House has set this threshold at 5,000 signatures within 30 days.

Demand the Obama administration defend their support for marijuana prohibition. If they can not, then why do they continue to endorse this failed public policy?

Below is the petition NORML has submitted for consideration:

We Petition the Obama Administration to:
    Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol.

We the people want to know when we can have our “perfectly legitimate” discussion on marijuana legalization. Marijuana prohibition has resulted in the arrest of over 20 million Americans since 1965, countless lives ruined and hundreds of billions of tax dollars squandered and yet this policy has still failed to achieve its stated goals of lowering use rates, limiting the drug’s access, and creating safer communities.

Isn’t it time to legalize and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol? If not, please explain why you feel that the continued criminalization of cannabis will achieve the results in the future that it has never achieved in the past?

Sign. Share. Legalize.

(NOTE: The White House has been experiencing technical difficulties with their website, please be patient and allow the petition time to load, if you receive an error message retry later)

UPDATE:
    The media is beginning to notice:
    Daily Caller – “Weed Legalization and Animal Spay/Neuter Top WH Petitions”

Huffington Post – New White House ‘We The People’ Petition Portal Launched, With Predictable Results

The Hill – Petition to legalize pot is first to hit White House threshold

151 Responses to “We the People Want to End Marijuana Prohibition”

1. Chris in WI says:

you have to respond to the email to activate your account. THEN DON’T FORGET TO VOTE! Clicking the email link is NOT voting.

2. Manford Mantis says:

I just answer a blog elsewhere on drug testing welfare recipients – and – the simplicity of it just rolled me over with laughter.

“Those who test positive – would – prefer to stay positive.”

3. Bobbie Mohler says:

I would like to know how many people die of Marijuana overdose as compaired to alcohol or tobacco? Cancer killed my mother at 69, father and my brother died in 2003 at 49 years old, the two things they had in common were that all three where alcoholics and smoke tobacco. The three things that I do that are different, I smoke pot every single day, I work full time, I am a mother and grandmother, wife and partner. I do not drink alcohol or smoke tobacco and I am alive and very very healthy thanks to my use of cannabis. Try and convince me otherwise and you will have the fight of your life.

4. Anonymous says:

The link to the petition is broken

[Paul Armentano responds: There is heavy traffic to the site, and that heavy traffic is causing occasional errors in loading the page. The link is fine, but you may need to try and access it multiple times to get through.]

5. Michael says:

When will the “Reefer Madness” end?

6. CaptainCrunch says:

Get up, stand up people!

7. roland martin says:

The link to the petition is broken

8. Anonymous says:

I don’t like this petition. That a bad policy hasn’t worked is not a good reason to reverse it, that it’s a bad policy is.

9. Jose says:

Can someone else confirm please – the site is lumping some signatures. i.e. 2039 twice 2019 twice and 2770 and then some. I keep refreshing the page and still see these duplicates.

10. There were more fatalities from peanuts last year then there was from cannabis. Actually, there weren’t any from cannabis last year, or the year before, or the year before, or the year before…