• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director September 28, 2011

The federal government, notably under the current administration, continues to paint itself into a corner politically speaking regarding Mr. Obama’s pre-election promises to ‘fix the problem with medical marijuana’.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) issued a memorandum on September 21 to all gun dealers in the United States for the expressed purpose of informing them that they MUST discriminate against lawful medical cannabis patients and DENY them their Second Amendment right to buy and possess a firearm for hunting and/or personal protection.

The feds newest ‘clarifying’ memo regarding medical cannabis (proceeding the 2009 Ogden and 2011 Cole memos) is notable because members of NORML’s Legal Committee recently have been successfully challenging local and state law enforcement officials who’ve chosen to discriminate against lawful medical cannabis patients by denying them permits for a concealed weapon.

Why is it OK and does it make any sense at all for lawful medical patients who are prescribed powerful painkillers and sedatives to be able to enjoy their Second Amendment rights and responsibilities, but medical cannabis patients who want to hunt or have self-protection in their homes are overtly discriminated against by our own federal government?

This new ATF memo will provide an interesting test to see if the National Rifle Association really does support citizens’ rights to bear arms.

209 Responses to “Feds To Legal Medical Marijuana Patients: You Don’t Have Second Amendment Rights. Period.”

1. moldy says:

They can pry my gun from my cold dead fingers but I’d like to see them take my bong! HaHa Fuck you feds. You get use to being a second class citizen you know? Of course there are a lot of us here in this country. It’s the way they’ve engineered the system. Now, where can I buy a great big fucking machine gun before they make them illegal again.

2. MedicalPA says:

The only problem with Medical Marijuana is it’s not available to the people that need it.

3. Tom says:

It’s a good thing rednecks never drink themselves stupid and then shoot each other accidentally. Because then the DOJ would have a bit of a logic problem on its hands.

4. Carlo says:

Wow…Its actually desparate, contradictory, BS.
      Big surprise. Once again, just dole out psych meds(that do not work and cause aggression in some) like candy that cause what they are inaccurately trying to stop. BTW I know of “patients” that are on way more dangerous FDA approved substances and they have guns. Just see through the lies and keep up the pressure.

Also, commenter: Corrupt? Anyone? you are on target.
      “As long as Law Enforcement is a Profitable Business, Injustice Will Prevail”
      Legalize and stop the petty lies.

5. Allright this truly getting scary
      I’m thinking we are up against a bunch of mean drunks
      That just want to keep all the power

6. scott says:

I guess its a good thing my state isn’t medical..otherwise I wouldn’t be holding my rifle with a joint in my mouth. Fuck the government. Bring it bitches.

7. Ed says:

Just want to add my .02.

First, its a license. Just sayin.

Second… the fed is absolutely ridiculous. All this after they used our tax money to buy guns which went directly into mexican drug cartel hands. They were then used to kill our officers who directed the transaction and thousands of innocent mexican citizens.

I honestly thing this whole “plan” backfired. I think they wanted to “prove” that guns are evil and can only be used for bad. I carry daily and… well… lets just say I cant wait for 2012.

8. Andrew says:

wow, I’m not a big gun person, but I know when my rights are getting trampled, I don’t understand how this is even constitutional, what happens if you already own a gun are you already in violation of the law lol. They keep trying to fight us, only a matter of time. Obama listen to the people man,

9. Don says:

It occurs to me that maybe we didn’t win the war against Hitler and that, in fact, the nazis won and are really the ones calling the shots; them and their offspring. This is clearly not the America I thought I was fighting for when I joined the Marines as a young man when I graduated from high school! Seriously, WTF is wrong with the leaders of this country? After this, my hopes for a positive response regarding all of the marijuana related petitions is terribly weakened. Once again, whoever is in charge has no intention of changing their evil ways.

10. Smokey Joe says:

Revolution is in the air. This government is supposed to be REPRESENTATIVE of the people, not the other way around.