2011 International Drug Policy Reform Conference Taking Place This Week

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director October 31, 2011

Drug policy reform advocates from around the globe will be attending the Drug Policy Alliance‘s 2011 International Drug Policy Reform Conference this week. The bi-annual conference, co-hosted by NORML and various other drug law reform organizations, will take place from Wednesday, November 2 through Saturday, November 5, at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in downtown Los Angeles.

Representatives from NORML and the NORML Women’s Alliance — including NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano, NORML Advisory Board Member Rick Steves, California NORML Coordinator Dale Gieringer, and NWA west coast representative Kyndra Miller — will be speaking at this year’s conference, which will feature over 50 separate panels and round-table discussions.

On Thursday, November 3, conference participants will gather for mass public protest at the Levitt Pavilion in historic MacArthur Park to call for an end to America’s drug criminalization strategies.

Other participants at this year’s conference include DPA Executive Director Ethan Nadelmann, California Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom, former two-term Republican Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson, and California NAACP director Alice Huffman.

Conference registration and agenda information is available online here.

19 Responses to “2011 International Drug Policy Reform Conference Taking Place This Week”

1. Andrew says:

Have fun and good luck!

2. Gio says:

I speak openly and proudly about my standpoints regarding marijuana and its status in this country. I will never let anyone or anything scare me into secrecy. I don’t drink alcohol because I am a bodybuilder. I dont do drugs because I believe they’re wrong. But I do smoke cannabis because it’s all natural, it won’t make me crazy and make me toss my inhibitions and cautions to the wind like alcohol will, and I believe that it makes me more productive in school. Since I began smoking cannabis again six months ago, my GPA in college has shot up almost half a letter grade.

I see no sensible reason why my means of relief and concentration should be illegal, meanwhile it’s considered acceptable to pump our children full of lab-made chemicals such as concerta and ritalin, even aderrol. Our children are being subjected to the FDA “approved” drugs that have killed over 10,000 people since 2005, while grown adults, fully capable of making their own decisions and leading their own lives, cannot opt for the natural alternative.

Who gave the government power over what God has put on Earth for us? God did not make ritalin, and God certainly did not make all the drugs you get perscribed by your doctors. But we hand those over with eager smiles, while hiding away cannabis like some unwanted vermin. This must stop.

3. True American says:

HERE IS A LITTLE HOPE……..

Plans to make marijuana legal in California received a boost over the weekend with an announcement by a state official.

California Secretary of State, Debra Bowen, said Saturday that proponents of decriminalizing pot can begin collecting petition signatures for next November’s ballot.

Proponents of the potential ballot measure said it’s based on making the jobs of law enforcement easier all while benefiting the state.

“It’s a campaign that’s completely different from past efforts,” said proponent, Steve Kubby. “It represents a compromise. Officials have seen that the drug war is causing more harm than good and they want to stop pot from raising money for gangs and terror each year.”

The measure aims to make marijuana usage within the state taxable as well as making sure it’s regulated.

“Our point is to regulate it like alcohol and start taxing it…it’s one of the biggest crops in California and it goes completely untaxed,” said Kubby.

Kubby added that the measure will aim to move pot from California’s Controlled Substance Act.

Nearly 505,000 signatures from registered voters must be collected in order for the initiative to make it to the ballot and they must sign before March 26 of next year, according to a media release.

nbcbayarea

4. kansas roy says:

im too far away to do any good, but i am with you in spirit. please help stop the violence our government has helped cause in mexico…..

roy

5. Eric Byers says:

Even if we get pot removed from the controlled substance act and states do legalize it. You cant force employers to hire people that test positive for weed. So it will come down to is its legal federal and state but if you choose to smoke you have no job.

6. keith says:

There are a lot of jobs that wouldn’t drug test, but they have a financial incentative to with a reduction in taxes I believe. Plus a positive test does not mean that some is under the influence, it just means that they have the metabolite, which could be taken to court in a discrimination suite.

7. Michael Hennigan says:

Hey Eric, even if you don’t smoke you may not have a job! If its legal, why drug test? You might be better off stocking your pantry and getting ready for the other economic shoe to come down. This recession is no where near completion. It can only be propped up for so long!

8. claygooding says:

We need an emergency joint session of congress,,the DEA can furnish some of their stash they picked up in CA earlier this month.