This Week in Weed: November 6th-12th

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director November 12, 2011

This Week in WeedThe latest installment of “This Week in Weed” is now streaming on NORMLtv.

This week, lawyers from the NORM Legal Committee bring lawsuits against the federal government and a new study looks at how medical marijuana laws affect youth drug use.

Be sure to tune in to NORMLtv every week to catch up on the latest marijuana news. Subscribe to NORMLtv or follow us on Twitter to be notified as soon as new content is added.

21 Responses to “This Week in Weed: November 6th-12th”

1. Kees VanBergeijk says:

So, I have a question for all the admins out there or really knowledgeable fellow potheads out there. I am currently enrolled in a public speaking course and for one of the speeches we need to inform people about something. I was considering talking about marijuana in this country and the waste of tax dollars put out there to try and snuff us out. Any advice on where I should start? or what I should focus on?

2. […] full post on NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform Share and […]

3. […] NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform Share and Enjoy: […]

4. Jay says:

To Kees, start at the beginning.Very eye opening.Keep it short. You could talk for hours.

5. disvet13 says:

focus on the original Constitution and how the criminalization of marijuana came to be. specify how men in power used their influence and propaganda to vilify all cannabis and continue to do so today. elaborate on all the industrial uses for energy, food, and textiles. then encourage them to consider the many medical applications the individual citizen could use medical marijuana for, at home, for pennies. then tell them the lawyers and politicians are robbing them blind and destroying mother earth to fill their own pockets while they enjoy their power trip and the common citizen goes hungry in a world that is killing itself so the military industrial complex and big oil, big pharmacy, big alcohol, big tobacco, and big food can get bigger bonuses, and buy more lawyers and politicians. All in the face of the Constitution of the United States of America, and your vote.

6. TheOracle says:

Well, I guess the U.N. prohibitionists were NOT at the big cannabis conference in L.A. Otherwise, there would be reportage about how they are clearing the way for countries that want to legalize cannabis for adult recreational use, as well as for medicinal use.

Sitting in Vienna, Austria, they are obviously not feeling the economic hurt enough to cause them to make the change, since they Germanic countries are doing better economically than Greece or Italy or even the U.S. I mean, the Germans are the powerhouse bailing out Greece and propping up the euro. A lot of the multinational pharmaceutical and chemical countries are owned by Germans, so Big Pharma there is in an ideal position to resist cannabis legalization.

Unfortunately, ladies and gentlemen, the dismantling of the Eurozone will have to take place to get their attention and to get them to take action, or at least acquiesce in cannabis legalization.

Get ready for the double dip of the recession that will have to be orchestrated in order to cause the economic climate for the European public to become in favor of legalizing cannabis for the jobs and tax revenues.

Sorry, Germany.

This could be avoided if the supercommittee in D.C. would recommend cannabis legalization and the U.N. would take quick action to allow the U.S. to do it without being held back by archaic international treaties based on archaic international laws based on old scientific and sociological research.

There’s just so much misery and waste in cannabis prohibition. They need to be made to see that and take action on it.

American exceptionalism is more than just the use of military might to achieve objectives.

Also, I saw and listened to Gary Johnson on MSNBC this morning. Would someone please give him some coaching on English? Criteria is a plural form. Criterion is the singular. For is a preposition, so the word me is the object, and objective case is required rather than using I, such as in “for you and I” which should be “for you and me” and so forth. I make my far share of mistakes, and use such colloquialisms occasionally, too. However, I can speak correctly when I put my mind to it. I’d like to see Gary get into the polls and get into the debates. Even if he doesn’t I want him to be a better public speaker.

The worse the economy gets, the more support for cannabis legalization increases.

Keep running the economy into the ground.

The only way to get the politicians to legalize cannabis to leave them no choice.

Wishful thinking hoping they’ll do the right thing hasn’t worked.

Supercommittee, go for American exceptionalism and recommend legalization!

7. Mark says:

Kees VanBergeijk,

I agree with disvet13, just try to not sound radical. Stay completely factual in everything you say. One issue I think makes a great argument is that medical methamphetamine is not only accessible in all 50 states, but it is mainly prescribed to minors for ADHD. I think this is a good point because nobody can honestly stand up and say that creating 8 year old meth heads is sound medical practice. To drive the point home, add that the feds are doing nothing to stop this, but are pouring a lot of bucks into stopping state approved and regulated Medical Cannabis programs.

8. Lynne says:

I wonder how one can sign the petition. Is there a site with a form to fill out or an email address that counts as a signature?