Jimmy Kimmel Confronts President Obama Over Marijuana Legalization

• by Russ Belville, NORML Outreach Coordinator April 29, 2012
    YouTube Preview Image

“Marijuana is something that real people care about.” — Jimmy Kimmel (forward to 21:50 or click here)

Late night comedian Jimmy Kimmel performed at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner and took a moment to confront President Obama on his marijuana crackdown.

I do have one real question for you, Mr. President.  What’s with the marijuana crackdown?  I mean, seriously, what’s the concern, we will deplete the nation’s Funyun supply?

You know, pot smokers vote, too.  Sometimes a week after the election, but they vote.

Let’s take a quick poll.  I would like everyone in this room to raise your hand if you’ve never smoked pot.

Raise your hands if you've never smoked pot.

[Very few hands go up.]  Heh heh.  There you go.  Look at Brit Hume – he’s high right now.  He’s on his fourth almond macaroon.

Mr. President, I hope you don’t think I’m out of line here, but marijuana is something that real people care about.  The fact that you believe Speaker Boehner when he tells you he still has control of his party leads me to believe that you must be smoking some crazy great weed yourself.

Woody Harrelson just woke up.

Thank you, Jimmy Kimmel, for exemplifying how a cannabis consumer can be polite yet direct in calling on the president to explain a policy that is no longer supported by a majority of Americans.  Half of this country supports outright legalization of marijuana and three-quarters think marijuana punishments, if any, should be no more than ticketable offenses, not crimes.

185 Responses to “Jimmy Kimmel Confronts President Obama Over Marijuana Legalization”

1. jazzmin says:

It would be so disruptive to the politics of this country to legaize it. I am all for it, but I will be voting to not legalize it any further than it is now here in California. If you think it through, you’ll discover that jobs ie law enforcement, would be a large area of job loss, prison/state workers..who are already losing jobs/being laid off here. Many repurcussions to think about in the long term. i believe it needs much more thought & planning. If one wants to partake, there are 30 diagnosis in the legal medicinal cannibis that are approved for use…..I have taken my ‘medicine’ this morning….I am a retired nurse, 58y/o. Think about what would be directly affected if it were legalized further, make informed choices. Promote education and the study of legalizing it!

[Russ responds: So… we need to keep arresting 850,000 Americans a year and allowing murderous Mexican drug criminals to reap the benefits of our marijuana economy? Sorry, there will be plenty of jobs in hemp and marijuana for all the laid off prison guards and DEA and if not, then tough. Nobody – not a dealer, doctor, prison guard, pot grower, or prohibitionist deserves to make an undeserved living off the suffering of cannabis consumers.]

2. TimC says:

A friend of mine has Macular Edema and was taking two 340.00 shots in her eyes a month to try to save here vision.. when on the pharmaceutics here vision got to 20/250 in the right and 20/260 in the right. She was basically blind fr a year till she was convicnced to try pot.. she now has 20/50 in both eyes and got her drivers license back and the sad thing is if she gets caught with the pot she will become a criminal and go blind.. this government policy is messed up. If she goes blind she wont be paying taxes and her burden on our society will go up.. This Drug policy must change NOW.

3. Please Mr. President help us who are in pain, with legalizing medical marijuana. I’ve been on opiates and they get you hooked and sick, and they are legal. When you get down to it, they’re both plants God gave us. Also where does most of the opium come from? You’re right the Middle East!!! Thank You

4. Tim says:

Marijuana is a Crime Hang Them High Put Them in Prison For a Long Time

Crime – Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
      an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden or the omission of a duty that is commanded by a public law and that makes the offender liable to punishment …

5. LH says:

6. PUFFER says:

I would’nt keep saying “Crack“ down mr.pres. Maybe that is his problem. Put the crack pipe down bro.

7. Delia says:

Lets see crack down on marijuana, crack down on raw milk, crack down on those exposing government waste and corruption. While ignoring his friend Jon Corzine stealing $1.6 Billion. I think his priorities need change.

8. Bobby says:

Wow, lots-o-squirming and FAKE “smiles” going on here. Jimmy, you just might be my new hero!

Heathcare – whether we want it or not.
      Obama’s agenda – RED
      Newt’s Parents – Michellin Man + Pilsbury Dough Boy

9. David says:

Thank You Jimmy.

10. russ says:

I hope this means we’ve made a step forward in marijuana legalization