This Week in Weed: April 29th – May 5th

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director May 3, 2012

This Week in Weed

The latest installment of “This Week in Weed” is now streaming on NORMLtv.

YouTube Preview Image

19 Responses to “This Week in Weed: April 29th – May 5th”

1. Gene says:

The government cares more about money then people. What ever happend to WE THE PEOPLE!!! . The government is more of a dictator. Please tell me who should I vote for this year THE LAIR WHO IS A THEIF OR THE THEIF WHO IS A LAIR. Why should a person lose their job for something they do in their own home and has nothing to do with anyone else. Why should people be forced to put something in their body that they don’t want to you should have every right to choose the medicine you want or choose to relax at home the way you choose to relax.

2. […] Click here to view the embedded video. […]

3. I just want to say, if it wasn’t for Mariujuna helping me thru a horrid treatment. I would have less of time spending it on this world!!

4. Galileo Galilei says:

More progress. At the height of the Cold War I once heard astronomer Carl Sagan complain that progress in arms negotiations was AGONIZINGLY slow. One day the Berlin wall came down. I’m frequently reminded of this when I visit NORML’s website.

What’s really interesting is how the collapse of the Soviet Union was a complete surprise to U.S. cold warriors.

I’m really impressed with NORML’s sane approach to changing marijuana laws. Kudos, folks.

5. […] This Week in Weed: April 29th – May 5th Click here to subscribe to NORMLtv and receive alerts whenever new content is added. The latest installment of “This Week in Weed” is now streaming on NORMLtv. This week: A new poll shows an overwhelming number of Americans are against prison for marijuana possession and two New England states move towards medical marijuana. Be sure to tune in to NORMLtv every week to catch up on the latest marijuana news. Subscribe to NORMLtv or follow us on Twitter to be notified as soon as new content is added. […]

6. […] Click here to view the embedded video. […]

7. Galileo Galilei says:

When multiple studies like this yield the same result, it really means something.

8. Jim says:

Interesting that Dr. Carl Sagan was mentioned. He was a daily smoker, after his work day.

“When cannabis is legalized…I hope that time isn’t too distant; the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

9. larry says:

I think the tax payers have a say in this – the taxes generated by the sale of medicinal pot could be a help to local economies in times of fiscal austerity. We have an option to create revenue and jobs vs. spend revenue and incarcerate. It could be a lucrative and heavily regulated industry. Make pot a US profit center vs. financial sink hole.

10. Tlc says:

There should be a better accountability here to begin with so we know where the resistance is.
      We who are older recall when we were told these drug laws would not be for the users, just the dealers and suppliers. We were also told the confiscations were so drug “Kingpins” would not have access to large amounts of money to buy their defense, but this was not supposed to be about individual use personal property ever.
      When I was gathering information for a college paper on the drug war, I spoke to a convicted drug dealer. I recall him saying the law overstated the amount of marijuana seized, but understated the money by several thousand dollars, and that was in the 1980’s…imagine now.
      There should be a bean counter at every bust. All these stupid laws that are used to classify someone as trafficking to justify confiscation of personal property need to be attacked. Someone that spends according to their normal income but had 3 small baggies is not a dealer, just someone that likes to keep their buys separate.
      In other words, while we work toward re-legalization, we also need to demand accountability…follow the money…

11. The Dub says:

Easy there Gene, the U.S. government is not a dictatorship and Obama is not our unholy tyrant. The citizens are to blame for the lack of progression in marijuana reformation laws. We haven’t done enough to show that the laws need to be changed. Although a majority of Americans have smoked marijuana before only a slim minority have actively promoted reformation. As U.S. citizens and marijuana smokers it is our CIVIC DUTY to be the catalyst in the legalization of marijuana. Just remember “A law that is followed by no one is not a just law”.

12. John says:

*FINALLY* GENE I WOULD VOTE FOR YOU. I BET THAT YOU WOULD REMEMVER MY **BILL OF RIGHTS**

13. John says:

I REALLY MUST CONSIDER USING SPELL CHECK AS I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT “”REMEMVER”” IS NOT A WORD — WELL IT DOES SOUND WHEN SPOKEN LIKE RUSSIAN AND HIGHLY POSSIBLE TO BE A *NEW WORLD ORDER* WORD IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE AND THEY WILL NOT SNEAK IT PAST ME. HOW ABOUT YOU GENE? YOU RECKON WE ARE HEADED THAT WAY QUICK?

14. Linda says:

I’m in a bit of a trouble. I pay 200.00 then 150 a year. In Nv they are crazy. The cops came to my house just because my hubby paid forward to a girl who said she was getting a license so he gave her alittle. Also since it costs way too much to grow indoors, I grew what I figured would last a year. This was a day or 2 before Christmas. Real nice. So we had to borrow money to get a lawyer. And it’s dragging on. Meanwhile I’m going to run out thanks to NPD. I’m disabled and was so happy when I didn’t need to take alot of pills. Now what? I don’t know

15. Bob says:

OK folks its time to make a stand.

The only thing that can get things done is money and votes. Most of us have voting rights, some have money. Email this message to your elected officials and stand firm. Also send to like minded friends and family:

To the President, Members of the US Congress, State and local elected officials:

Criminal marijuana prohibition is a failure. Over 20 million Americans have been arrested for marijuana offenses since 1965 with over 800,000 arrests in 2010. The problem is getting worse – not because of the benign plant, but because of the obsolete laws. The time has come to amend criminal prohibition and replace it with a system of legalization, taxation, regulation, and education.

I can no longer vote for elected officials that support the the current laws. I have decided not to vote for any politician that does not publicly support the removal of all penalties for the private possession and responsible use of marijuana by adults, including cultivation for personal use, and casual nonprofit transfers of small amounts.

Signed