NORML to Protest D.E.A. Imprisonment, Starvation of UCSD Student

• by Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel May 4, 2012

Contact: Michael Cindrich (619) 262-2500 | Lance Rogers (619) 333-6882

Please be advised that on Monday, May 7, 2012 at 4:20 p.m., the local chapter of the National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) will protest the Drug Enforcement Administration’s detention of UCSD Engineering student Daniel Chong for five days without food and water. The protest will take place outside of the DEA office compound at 4560 Viewridge Avenue in San Diego. If you can’t be in San Diego, show your solidarity by joining the protest live online at live.norml.org.

According to news reports, Chong was arrested for smoking marijuana at a 4/20 party with other UCSD students. He was transported to a DEA holding cell and then forgotten about. During his five days in the federal cell, Chong had no access to food, water, or access to the outside world. He was forced to drink his own urine to stay alive. At one point, Chong broke his glasses with his teeth and used the glass shards to attempt suicide. He attempted to carve the words "Sorry Mom" into his arm. According to Chong, he "pretty much lost (his) mind" during the ordeal.

NORML advocates for the full legalization of marijuana so that innocent users such as Daniel Chong are not subjected to torture at the hands of the DEA. Over 20 million Americans have been arrested for marijuana offenses since 1965. NORML believes that the time has come to amend criminal prohibition and replace it with a system of legalization, regulation, and education.

More information can be found at San Diego NORML’s Facebook page.

69 Responses to “NORML to Protest D.E.A. Imprisonment, Starvation of UCSD Student”

1. Bhonze says:

I wonder if marijuana has ever harmed anyone as bad as this? HELL NO! Stop the Lies Obama and listen to the science. Stop listening to Corporate America and Do The Right Thing and Legalize Cannabis. If people would get their head out their A$$ they would see Cannabis could never do the harm that is being done by our own Govt.

2. I would hold Obama personally responsible for this poor souls torture
      He’s prob sittin up there thinkin I’m setting an example for all the 420 crew..

3. Jane says:

This is horrible!

it makes me disgusted, and down right furious.

a man was FORCED to drink his OWN URINE, STARVED and become temporarily INSANE. If this doesn’t wake people up about how Prohibition is completely failing and endangering lives, then I don’t know what will.

4. Joel: the other Joel says:

The DEA couldn’t say they have acted appropriately or have any excuses, so they gave Daniel Chong an apology.

I’ve heard that CBS World News said it was four days. I’ve wounder were they got that?

5. teddybear66foru@yahoo.com says:

I wonder how Romney and Obama will take on the issue? Probably just say “oh well, fuck him, he’s a pot smoker”…

You people and your voting will not solve this.

Get a clue and Viva Le Revolutiona

6. teddybear66foru@yahoo.com says:

why are we still allowing this?

7. L says:

We all need to spread news like this to promote rage against these fuckers

8. Cameron says:

You terrorists! Protesting is now a terrorist act! But seriously, I don’t think the government is going to care at all just like they’ve never cared.

9. Anonymous says:

That’s horrible what our nation has come to these days also for the protest you all participating should just smoke right in front of the D.E.A’s faces.

10. Owen says:

Thank you NORML. On another thread I asked if you were going to cover this and you said you had. I requested a link, as I could not find anything related to this topic on this website. I still can’t find it, but this is better.

Now the big question: the DEA has a relatively small budget. Less than $1 Million every year if I’m not mistaken. Would a $20 million lawsuit put them out of business?