Willie Nelson: “I Smoke Pot and it is None of the Government’s Business”

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director May 15, 2012

This Week in Weed

Click here to subscribe to NORMLtv and receive alerts whenever new content is added.

NORML Advisory board member, and long time cannabis law reform advocate, Willie Nelson recently filmed a new PSA for NORML. Check it out below or on NORMLtv.

“Let’s get the government out of our private lives, once and for all, and stop arresting smokers. Let’s take a stand for personal freedom.” – Willie Nelson

YouTube Preview Image

Be sure to tune in to NORMLtv every week to catch up on the latest marijuana news. Subscribe to NORMLtv or follow us on Twitter to be notified as soon as new content is added.

88 Responses to “Willie Nelson: “I Smoke Pot and it is None of the Government’s Business””

1. jbkorn02 says:

If he wanted it I think we’d have a presidential canidate that would get votes regardless the party. Especially with who we have to pick from this time.

2. chad11 says:

lol people its about big pharma and booze companies lobbying against it. the government knows its ok too use. stop talking like idiots. the government gets pay offs from these companies to keep pot illegal. its has nothing to do with safety or any of that shit. big pharma owns this country. they are not going to let pot take over as a natural cure are you kidding?

3. BobKat says:

Thank-you Willie…

@”not-Right”, I second that with a change to your logic…

“God manufactures it, right? In God We Trust”… or do we??? Human’s may sow the seeds God gives us, and we have done so for hundreds of thousands of years. Since when has humans sowing seeds constituted “drug manufacturing”? We don’t manufacture the seeds… God does.

The motto: “In God We Trust” is a joke! That’s why I’d like to see the motto removed. It’s hypocritical… wishful thing on the part of government. It’s not true. If it was, cannabis would not be prohibited and users, growers and sellers would not be thrown into prisons treated worst than rapists, murderers and thieves.

Not only does the government not believe in God, but they make things up to facilitate adherence to their sets of lies. Primary among them is the Drug Scheduling act, as well as continued opacity when bundling cannabis in with drugs created in labs. Neither benefits society, protects society or promotes a free and democratic society.

Cannabis is cannabis, a plant. It is not meth, or Oxycontin or LSD. It is a plant, with mostly beneficial properties.

Trust in God… what a joke.

4. dude says:

thanks willie for speaking for those whose voice is seldom heard, people who mind their business and do their part to be good citizens, work hard, love each other, do a j when they want…

5. Jim says:

Thank you Willie! Tha US govt wants us somewhat sick all the time. Tap water and most foods in the grocery store are laden with FDA approved poisons. Thats why we have so much cancer, etc. This feeds the military/industrial complex(cops,doctors, etc.)Healing herbs like cannibis are kept illegal while destructive things like alcohol are legal. This IS the huge conspiracy against the American people. Don’t be a sheep and believe that the american govt wouldn’t do that to us because they do and,yes, it is intentional.

6. The Dude says:

Our country is based upon religion whether we like it or not, imo (I do not). BUT “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”

7. Ray DiPasquale says:

God Bless Willie Nelson!

8. byron olinick says:

Keep up the good fight Willie. We need more people who are brave enough to stand up to the corrupt marijuana ring in our government connecting the DEA and Congress to multinational corporations like Pfizer, and a list of others interested in the outlaw of a peaceful medicine that would surprise us all to know what for. 17 states and counting; educating ourselves to the truth one state at a time. Thank you Willie, thank you all you folks at votehemp.com and normal for the good work you do. They may or may not smoke marijuana in Muskogee, but soon enough the whole world will breath a sigh of relief when America collectively kicks back for a toke and ends these evil drug wars.

9. mamasensi says:

MY HUBBY HAS PTSD,MANIC DEPRESSION,ANXIETY,ANTI-SOCIAL DISORDER,IT STARTED WITH THE TEXTILE COMPANYS AFRAID THEY WOULD LOSE $$$,AS WELL AS THE DRUG COMPANYS AND BOOZE COMPANYS,WE KNOW WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT PS:WE DON’T DO BOOZE!
      Send a e=mai your reps every day indiana

10. TheOracle says:

Thank you, Willie!

It’s just a damn shame that more people aren’t self-employed and making it enough not to have to worry about losing their livelihoods. I’m not knocking Willie. I mean, he’s not going to fire himself. So many people have to stay in the closet about cannabis.

When is it finally going to sink in to the government to legalize cannabis?

The answer: when they have no other choice.

Keep running the economy into the ground until the pressure for the jobs and the revenues leaves them no choice. Stimulating the economy will have the government seeing the money is there and taking advantage of it with revenue increases of some sort. They’ll see the affordability of imposing new regulations. Remember, they continue to fund cannabis prohibition, as they’ve recently passed up the opportunity to defund cannabis enforcement in MMJ states.

The politicians will have to come under more pressure.

11. BobKat says:

Thank-you Willie!

You’re absolutely correct, in this type of situation, smoking or eating or drinking or whatever with cannabis is none of the governments business! Not until a person’s well-being is in imminent danger.

@”not-Right”, I second your point…

“God manufactures it, cannabis seeds, right? God lets things grow.

Trust in God… what a joke.

12. Brad Drew says:

Elect Ron Paul if you want freedom. I would thing norml would be stumping for the only candidate who would immediately end the drug war, AND is not lying when he says it!!

No he has not dropped out either, don’t trust the main stream media, they are owned by the banks and big Pharma!

13. 2buds4me says:

Thanks Willie – I’d smoke weed with you anytime

14. SSG Dryer says:

I am a retired soldier with sever back pain and PTSD from an IED attack suffered in Afghanistan. The only thing that helps? Not the overpriced, poorly performing, side effect causeing legal “DRUGS”, a plant, thats free to grow and hurts no one. I stould up for this country in the face of the enemy and now this country will not allow me the one medicine that actually helps because they would rather make Big-Pharma happy. I wonder if Hallmark makes a card for that. Thanks for your help in the war, sorry about your pain and suffering for my freedom, but money is more important than your life, Love the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (read; Big-Pharma puppets)

15. TimC says:

I sat here crying on how thankful I am to cannabis. 2 years ago I was 20/260 in my lfet and 20/250 in my right.. legally bind in that I could see as if vasaleen was on my eyes. I was spending 640.00 per montyh on shots of evastin to be injected in my eyes to get me from losing what was left of my vision.. I worked form home (so my work did not know) and bought giant monitor and used windows magnifier to work. it was hard.. I had no friends or family. It was so bad I bought a shotgun. Yes I became a tad suicidle. but I perciverd a friend told me to try cannabis and I bouht some.. although it is illegal in FL.. I thin used for tow months and my vison came back and has been 20/50 in my right and 20/60 in my right. I can drive, and live normally. I can see the clouds and smiles and its just wonderful. Please support legalization in Florida and help me not be a criminol for wanting to see.

16. TimC says:

forgive all my errors of spelling above.. I bought a new gaming keyboard and am getting used to it..

17. PMW says:

Thanks Willie.
      What I most stand for is not putting people in prison for using cannabis.
      Enforcing these laws does more harm than the plant does.
      I am not promoting the use of any intoxicant, merely treating each human with dignity.
      It will make the citizens have greater respect for their leaders and existing just laws.

18. dazed&confused says:

i am dazed & confused ,. i am waiting for the state of wisconsin or ill. to make legal medical canabis, i have to agree with BOBKAT! YOU TELL US ABOUT IT PREACHER!!!., YOU SOUND LIKE ME AND MY FAMILY! you can grow legal as long as mann don’t know what god let’s you grow! i takeoxycotin for about the last 7 year’s . BY THE WAY IF YOU HAVE OT TAKEN IT DON’T!. IT IS A ADDICTIVE MEDICATION THAT IS AS CLOSE TO HERION AS ANY THING BUT HERION!. IT IS NOT COOL HAVENG O BE ADDICTED TO THE MEDICATION’S YOU DON’T WANT TO TAKE . BUT IF YOU DON’T TAKE IT ??. IT WILL KILL YOU! I AM DISABLED 3 NASTEY VEHICLE ACCIDENT’S! SADLY I CAN’T COPE WITHOUT OXYCOTIN. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE MY OWN CHOICES WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT I PUT IN MY BODY!!HAIL TO THE CHEIF WILLIE NELSON! AND LET’S KEEP THE FARMERS WORKING GRWING POT.

19. Anonymous says:

willie for president!!!

20. Roger says:

@PMW – Your words ring true! I don’t think there is anything currently happening within our society that causes citizens to dislike/distrust our Govt and Law Enforcement as much as marijuana prohibition. It is, in my opinion, downright Anti-American and goes against everything America is supposed to stand for!

Anyone who is truthful, and has done even basic research (outside of the research paid for by our tax dollars for the purpose of finding marijuana dangerous), will easily conclude that the laws cause much more harm than the so-called crime of possessing or using cannabis.

Prohibition is a failed policy that is not supported by the public and violates what many believe to be a human right – that is to decide what to put into their own bodies; whether for medicine or for recreation. IF marijuana really was as dangerous as the prohibitionists claim, I’d probably agree that it should be stopped. BUT, having used it myself for the last 40 years, I know for an absolute fact that it is not dangerous in any way shape or form as long as it is used responsibly!

21. Tim Hurley says:

Good work Willie, my wife and I smoke too.
      You right we want freedom and I,m going grow my own plant back yard and harvest thid fall.
      Government has no business.
      Man made medicine and tobaccos is posion.

22. Tim Hurley says:

I missed spelling word (THIS) above.
      Hit the wrong computer key board.

23. Roger says:

@Tim Hurley,

Hi Tim,

I sure your sentiments but your spelling is atrocious! Check again and you may find that you mis-spelled a few other words… Also, if one looks very closely, one would find grammar errors too :)

Don’t worry about it too much though. Be Happy!

24. Roger says:

@Myself: I sure share your your sentiments :)

25. Cannabis keeps law enforcement in business. It provides paramilitary training for those poor misguided souls who get a rush fighting something. I am so frigging tired of hiding my secret life as a pot smoker. I’m healthy emotionally and physically…don’t have cirrosis of the liver. Don’t need AA. Have no issues. Just wanna grow my own like I do tomatoes (poisenous leaves)-rhubarb(poisenous roots)-foxglove(highly potent & dangerous to the heart)-st. Johns wort(too much is psychoactive negatively-valerian(same as before). Ad infinitum….. Willie Nelson is the real deal. I bow my head and pray that his courage doesn’t waiver.

26. Willie is right they should let us do what we want as individuals we have the right to do whatever we like to ourselves and nobody should tell you otherewise!!!

27. MovingOn says:

Wait, Willie supports marijuana legalization?!?! Thank goodness we get breaking news updates from NORML.

28. karma says:

Thank goodness for public people standing up for pot and its medical uses as well as recreational, there’s nothing wrong with marijuana, it doesnt kill like alcohol. I just don’t understand why the goverment for the people, keep alcohol legal and marijuana illegal. Just plain stupid.

29. Fed-Up says:

Lizzie Lizard,

google: Willie Nelson strain

The legend even has a medical variety named after him:
      a vietnamese+nepalese sativa . It’s probably like thai weed

im sure that it’s tasty. GO WILLY -and spark up a “Nelson for me

YEEHAW

30. James K Draudt says:

Thank you Mr Nelson. We all know this GOD given plant is so good Medically that without this I would be in serious Pain as well as a nervous breakdown. I live in New York and although it is Decrimalized I prefer to grow my own due to the costs and well it’s just a nice Plant GOD GAVE TO WATCH GROW and be able to enjoy life Painfree. Thank you AGAIN and may GOD bless you alway’s in JESUS name AMEN

31. stilllockedoutoftheshed says:

karma, i firmly believe it is because the corporations in our country would loose some of their power and money if it were legalized. i can see it now….”you feds better keep this stuff illegal or we will pick up our crap and move to a third world country” this is the “crystal palace theory” the big folks decide how it goes. its all about the friggen dolla…their is no support to why they say it should be a schedule one drug and our government knows it…..peace to you all

32. Geno says:

Go Willie!!!!!I to am a retired soldier from Iraq. Like SSG Dryer I have PTSD,Degenerative Disc Disease on my spine,Degenerative Arthritus,Severe Sleep Apnea i’m on a C-PAP machine everynight, metal plate in my foot from 2 surgeries so I limp, surgery in both shoulders.The doctors tried to fix me up with narcotics but I won’t take them cause i’m trying to save my kidnees and liver.Man makes processed pills to promote cancer and diseases,GOD gave us NATURAL CANNABIS and the earth has had it as long as earth has been here!!!!! LEGALIZE THE HERB GOD PUT IT HERE!!!!!

33. Human says:

No one in my California home is voting Obamma.
      Were voting Romney, in the hopes he respects state laws over wall street. Just cant and wont vote Obamma this time. I might even vote Bush! WE JUICE CANNABIS FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING! And we don’t get stoned off it and for my Arthritis and prostate issues are all cured costing about $1 a day!

34. M.Mezzerath says:

you Yanks will keep eating your governments crap as long as they keep feeding it to you, much like every other place. why so many listern to so few I’ll never know.

35. [...] noted the difference amongst marijuana possession for the sake of distribution and recreational pot use. The purchasing or distributing of marijuana are still punishable by the archaic 1970s drug laws [...]

36. That_Guy says:

WILLIE FOR PRESIDENT!

37. susan says:

well said!

38. Jeff says:

If it’s good enough for the red headed stranger it’s good enough for me. I think he’s a Vapir No2 user, good call Willie!