Do You Know Your Local Cannabis Laws? Get Educated Now by NORML!

• by Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director June 1, 2012

Dear NORML Supporters,

NORML - Remember Prohibition?Arrests, penalties and the threat of incarceration when widely broadcast to society are supposed to act as deterrent to unwanted human behavior. True or not, one thing is for sure: Despite nearly seventy-five years of Cannabis Prohibition in America, and the presence of nearly 40 million consumers and 850,000 cannabis-related criminal arrests annually, most cannabis consumers (and medical patients who use cannabis) do not know what their state’s laws and penalties are for cannabis.

Of the many functions and responsibilities of a cannabis law reform group like NORML — lobbying, litigation, political organizing and education — one very specific service-oriented function we faithfully perform is to research, publish and maintain an updated state-by-state listing of laws and penalties associated with cannabis.

Since 1970, no other organization, government body or any other entity has devoted the time and resources to be the chronicler of America’s Cannabis Prohibition laws and penalties. Most local, state and federal authorities cite or reference NORML’s ‘Guide to State and Federal Cannabis Laws‘.

The state-by-state guide has now been greatly enhanced and updated, including adding new sections on Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DUID), statutory law and penal code citations. The medical cannabis law section as well as the Legal Brief Bank section is regularly updated.

This summer’s crop of legal interns is currently finishing a new section on hashish and cannabis concentrates that will be helpful to millions of cannabis consumers and patients across the country.

NORML Foundation FundraiserDid you know that you could receive a life sentence in Oklahoma for making a little hash?

Your continued financial support for NORML’s (and the NORML Foundation’s) advocacy work has made this kind of crucially important information for cannabis consumers and society possible since 1970.

Please consider a tax-deductible donation to the NORML Foundation. Make a $50 donation and receive a complete legal guide to medical cannabis laws in California; donate $100 dollars and we will include an odorless backpack provided by Stealth Products.

Thanks in advance for caring and sharing!

Cannabem liberemus,

Allen St. Pierre
    Executive Director
    NORML / NORML Foundation
    director@norml.org

28 Responses to “Do You Know Your Local Cannabis Laws? Get Educated Now by NORML!”

1. michael says:

tampa florida is just waitn for your marijuana to be legalized all over the state. would like to have some more information as when you can help sick people like me out. tic tic

2. […] Do You Know Your Local Cannabis Laws? Get Educated Now by NORML! Dear NORML Supporters, Arrests, penalties and the threat of incarceration when widely broadcast to society are supposed to act as deterrent to unwanted human behavior. True or not, one thing is for sure: Despite nearly seventy-five years of Cannabis Prohibition in America, and the presence of nearly 40 million consumers and 850,000 cannabis-related criminal arrests annually, most cannabis consumers (and medical patients who use cannabis) do not know what their state’s laws and penalties are for cannabis. Of the many functions and responsibilities of a cannabis law reform group like […] […]

3. Herb Herbman says:

Im in Colorado and my pot laws are pretty fair. But i will tell you this, though pot may be no big deal yesterday my friend called his boss a “fucking asshole” and was shocked to find the police at his 15 mins later saying they could take him to jail for HARRASMENT. So ya i can some bud without fear but just like the old movie Demolition Man, he found himself nearly locked up for a violation of the verbal morality statute. Im from kansas and if you get caught with a bowl in the wrong place the cops will beat the hell outta ya and lock you up but last i looked i could call someone an asshole without being incacerated. Theres no freedom anywhere really.

4. Rob says:

Regards to:

Reply:
      That’s nuts. They are the ones that are on something.
      I just made my very first batch of hash last week, so easy and potent. Tried bottle tokes, didn’t like he cigarette taste then I went on to a making a hash bong and using it & hot knives as well.

Prohibition needs to end. It’s dumb, pointless, hurting more ppl than helping. I cannot wait for the day the front page of my news paper stating Marijuana Prohibition Ended, I will have the article professionally cut and framed. It will be a glorious day, this day that will come.

5. Nancy Lee Garrett says:

@Allen St. Pierre
      I really appreciate everything you have done for all of us, these 40 plus years. You are a pioneer in the fight to end the prohibition of cannabis. Additionally,I feel that you are the foundation of NORML.
      I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work. I feel it is going to pay off real soon.
      I wish I could send you money. However,I am having a difficult time right now as far as finances. Furthermore, I have a daughter and she is a single mom of my 3 granddaughters; and all my spare money, which is not much, goes to help them. We are going through hard times right now. So I hope you understand; why I can only be a voice for NORML right now. When I go back to work I will be able to donate money for our mutual cause.
      Thank you again and God bless you and yours
      Nancy Lee Garrett
      grandma3d@hotmail.com

P.S. If there is any kind of work I can do from my home, please let me know.I would be glad to help with that.

6. Chad says:

Finally, a post a topic that talks about donations. Remember people if you want medical marijuana in you’re state especially like the 1st poster above wants. We need to donate to NORML as much as we possibly can so they can help get organizations going to put this on the ballot in many states this November.

Unfortunately the reason why some bills and laws do not pass or even get close to the general November elections, is simply put due to the lack of funding for signature gatherers, advertisements, especially meetings and rallies to raise awareness on the benefits.

I believe personally if you live in a state that wants to decriminalize and legalize medicinal marijuana, do not demand it, instead you need to put you’re money where you’re mouth is and start contributing to NORML, ACT or JOIN on the top right corner of this page.

We have come so far everyone, 11 states legalized this medicine in the last 10 years alone, who is to say that if we donate 10 dollars more than usual we can not make it 15 or 20 states to legalization. Spread the message, and tell you’re friends.

That is all.

7. Chris P. says:

Can you put up the old map that shows each state with a medical or decriminalized symbol. The new site is a bit of a pain when it comes to that as you have to keep loading different pages for different states.

8. Thanks for the post on penalty and threats..