• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director July 10, 2012

A representative from the Secretary of State’s Office in Massachusetts has confirmed that an initiative seeking to allow for medicinal cannabis use by qualified patients has been approved for November’s ballot in the Bay State.

The ballot language reads:

“A yes vote would enact the proposed law eliminating state criminal and civil penalties related to the medical use of marijuana by patients meeting certain conditions” and that patients will be to procure cannabis “produced and distributed by new state-regulated centers or, in specific hardship cases, to grow marijuana for their own use.”

Full text of the initiative can be read here.

Data from a March 2011 survey of likely Massachusetts voters by Public Policy Polling had support for medical marijuana at 53% and opposition at 35%.

Massachusetts now joins Colorado, Washington, and Montana on the growing list of states voting on marijuana law reform measures this November. Supporters have also turned in signatures for a legalization initiative in Oregon and a medical marijuana initiative in Arkansas, but neither has yet heard back about their qualification status.

Get registered to vote and learn all the important information on the initiatives and candidates for the 2012 election by clicking below and visiting NORML’s Voter Resource Guide. Let’s SMOKE THE VOTE in 2012:

28 Responses to “Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Initiative Approved to Go Before Voters in November”

1. BrenRN says:

What does this mean for professional? I am a registered nurse and worry about my license being compromised if I get a medical marijuana card. I use pot to help with migraines and back pain. I don’t think either case will be covered? And… what about use for anxiety? Does anyone know the standards set?

2. Dr. greenthumb says:

You people are crazy!!! Everyone who is in support of this passing obviously wants to buy overpriced crappy ass state run facility medicine. I on the other hand would much rather grow my own and be able to supply my close friends with awesome meds for reimbursement for my time and effort and electric bills. I don’t want to have to hope I get a hardship license to grow my own.and I don’t want to spend my hard earned money on some crap meds. I want to get a reccomendation from a doctor stating that I would benefit from the medical use of marijuana, and proceed to grow my own dank meds!! Vote NO in november!!!!

3. […] you might be able to clear out your medicine cabinet and go for the green instead.Medical marijuana has officially made it onto the 2012 Massachusetts voting ballot.Although the question did not originally pass through legislation, petitioners successfully […]

4. yumyuk says:

does anyone know how to contact the organizers to be a volunteer in the cause?

5. Candice Howren says:

Well it might sway the vote if folks knew.. The US Government took out patent#6630507 on the cannabis Plant for Medical Purposes in 2003. Google it!

6. someone says:

I am in favor of medical marijuana And I will NOT vote yes for this.

My fiancee suffers from debilitating nausea and IBS and marijuana is the ONLY thing that helps; yet with this law she will not be allowed to receive it? This is utterly ridiculous and I will do everything in my power to make people aware o0f the absurdity of this law and encourage them not to vote for it!!

7. MC83 says:

Im a Ron Paul supporter but if he ain’t the top candidate of on the card for that matter don’t waste your vote by filling his name in the vote will just sway to the republican party I dont care whose president anyone but Mitt though

8. MC83 says:

People in Mass should know better if Romney gets elected the world will probably end in December like the Mayans said