• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director July 11, 2012

US Representative and former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) today reiterated her support for the legalization of medical cannabis and called for congressional efforts to recognize the plant’s therapeutic efficacy.

Speaking to Raw Story, Rep. Pelosi said, “I have long supported efforts in Congress to advocate federal policies that recognize the scientific research and clinical research demonstrating the medical benefits of medicinal marijuana, that respects the wishes of the states in providing relief to ill individuals, and that prevents the federal government from acting to harm the safe access to medicinal marijuana provided under state law.”

“I’ve been very clear on the subject of medical marijuana over time,” she said, “in committee and on the floor as leader.”

Pelosi told Raw Story and other bloggers in attendance at the round table that she believed congress should take action on the issue. Speaking to this point she stated, “I think that it would be really important to do that [address medical marijuana in congress]. It would be hard for anyone to agree with the fact that someone who has HIV/AIDS or has cancer and they find relief from pain in medicinal marijuana that should be something that should be a priority to raid on the part of the Justice Department. Going along with that, we need to address some of the penalties for any non-violent crime that are out there.”

With prominent Democrats such as Representative Pelosi, Chicago Mayor and former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, New York Governor Cuomo, and the Democratic Parties in a growing number of states getting behind marijuana law reform, you have to wonder how long until President Obama realizes his drug policy has fallen out of touch with not just the electorate, but his own party.

You can read more in-depth coverage of the blogger roundtable, along with comments from other legislators on the marijuana issue, by clicking here.

56 Responses to “Pelosi: I Support Congressional Efforts to Recognize the Medical Benefits of Marijuana”

1. Eric says:

I hardly believe anything that woman says. And how convenient she is saying this so close to an election. this is all political

2. Tlc says:

1984 doublespeak…they aren’t really arresting HIV and cancer patients in MMJ states right now.

They make it sound like they are going to reschedule, but if that was what these congressmen wanted, they would do it.

I agree with the comment about Gary Johnson…if every anti-prohibitionist started supporting him, the conversation would start.

3. pamela haymes says:

i dont beleive her . she is a puppet. she was told to say that. like all the rest, if her mouth is moving sh e is lying. if she wasnt then how can she put so many things in place and not this.. i call bull sh*t

4. mike says:

this is just the begining. I suspect we will start to see a slow move by the democrats towards mmj leading up to the election. there are already rumors flying around the internet about how Obama will have an “Evolving position on it”

5. Kat says:

I don’t believe her. Too many injustices going on in CA in regards to safe access. I am at the point to where I am done with words, “show me the money”, I hear you but I don’t see it. When I see the local officials backing safe access/regulation is when Mrs Nancy Pelosi will get my vote and support. How long has she been in DC representing CA, Prop 215 has been passed for a long time and I never see Nancy at any NORML or ASA events, I have seen other representatives there but not her.

6. Noah says:

It’s not a matter of Obama not understanding the issue. The reason why Pelosi (House Democrat) is coming out on this is because Obama has no control over the DEA: the DEA is part of the permanent government and untouchable; she is coming out on behalf of the President. As per Clay’s comment, Obama cannot afford to take on the DEA by himself in light of his issues – that is a major rattlesnake nest to root out; it would require all of any President’s political resources to take them on.

7. Anthony says:

Its a bunch of bull Pelosi was in charge for 4 years she did jack and squat for marijuana reform. She had plenty time to bring forth legislation. Just like the rest of the politicians she only thing she cares about is . If you think the dems are our on marijuana’s side you are sadly mistaken. We cant rely on empty promises from the political class, reform is and will come from the people. Our best chance is for reform though education.

8. Ohio I am says:

In other words she and her richass husband are investing in sativex usa.

9. Denver WMD says: