And Then There Were Three: Oregon to Vote on Marijuana Legalization in November

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director July 13, 2012

The Oregon secretary of state’s office completed the legalization trifecta this afternoon when they announced the Oregon Cannabis Tax Act of 2012 (OCTA) officially qualified for the November ballot. Oregon now joins Washington and Colorado on the list of states whose voters will have the opportunity to end cannabis prohibition this fall.

Supporters ended up turning in 88,887 valid signatures, slightly over 1,000 more than required for qualification. The initiative will appear on the Oregon ballot as “Measure 80.” According to the campaign, Measure 80 would “regulate cannabis (marijuana) for adults 21 years of age and older, with commercial sales only through state-licensed stores. Ninety percent of tax revenue, estimated at more than $140 million annually, would go to the state’s battered general fund. Seven percent of tax proceeds would go toward funding drug treatment programs, and much of the remaining revenue would be directed toward kickstarting and promoting Oregon’s hemp food, fiber and bio-fuel industries.”

A June 2012 survey from Public Policy Polling showed Oregonian’s were split on the issue. 43% responded that they believed marijuana should be made legal, 46% believed it should remain illegal, and 11% were undecided.

You can read more about Measure 80 at the campaign’s website or through their Facebook page. NORML will keep you updated as the campaign moves forward and expect more in-depth coverage on the initiative to follow shortly.

77 Responses to “And Then There Were Three: Oregon to Vote on Marijuana Legalization in November”

1. fum says:

I have my ommp card and I’m happy with the law(s) as they stand in the state of Oregon. I do NOT want state marijuana store’s suppling med’s to or for me. I have 100% faith in the quality of my med’s that my grower supplies to me. Keep the state out of the pharmaceutical business.

2. wesley says:

I am very excited for this bill. If the Americans of these states have any common sense the bills should pass. It is crazy to continue to let millions of dollars go to the black market when it could go to state programs for the benefit of all. I recommend watching the documentary The Union.

3. Diane says:

As I said, The WEST COAST from California up is all being SET UP so Patients end up in JAIL and the Real Corruption for is the North region OREGON & WASHINGTON.

Patients with paid current Medical Marijuana Cards are still being busted from the Dealers who are getting a kick back and then getting busted too.. as the GOV says they allow each county to do as they please as it is NOT a Fed law…Its all Bullsh*t people..Patients, Growers and Caregivers are all being POLICED and Jailed its ALL rigged.

The Cops are coming in taking the Medicine and where is it going..?

Then patients, growers and caregivers are getting JAILED or sent to the State Mental Wards.

Then Patients are legally having their SSI or SSD taken away and the PRIVATE Jails get monies from the State for your head and then they get your Fed earnings in their pockets.

WAKE UP Its all a SET UP from our Fed Gov and the Govs are all getting a kick back.

BEWARE of OREGON & WASHINGTON and Sadly now to say fro a long time now..CALIIFORNIA…

4. Clay says:

what about nebraska where do i find the recent news on prop. 19

5. Jason says:

What I mean to say above is that… the fact that people are going to be forced to go underground about enjoying cannabis and that if this doesn’t pass……. you get the idea

6. Jason says:

IMHO Cannabis is very misunderstood. From personal experience I can say that I have never had a negative reaction to cannabis and know that it has absolutely helped me sleep. I tried melatonin and that helped for about three days and then it just stopped working so I switched to nyquil and that just made my entire body feel jittery thus leaving me sleepy but very uncomfortable as well as unable to sleep as a result.

It is nuts that things like alcohol and Cigs are completely legal and something that is so helpful and recreationally enjoyable is not. Isn’t it time to understand that the comment made by that officer (random news video w/ oregon police officer) is completely invalid, he stated that we are teaching our younger generation the wrong message by seeking the profits from cannabis sales….WHAT ABOUT THE ATF and their usable income from the taxes and regulations of alcohol and tobacco …seem a little hypocritical much???? HAVE YOU EVER TRIED IT, IF YOU SAY NO THEN YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT WHEN YOU DISAGREE WITH THE LEGALIZATION.

The other half of the coin is that the industrial rendering of hemp fibers could be a major OREGON Niche and could dramatically help our economy. its time to get our heads out from the dark ages and realize that this is A. never going to go away and good people will continue to get arrested for NO REASON, and B. The information created by the government in the 60’s ( I could be wrong on the date ) was totally meant to deceive the American public, making them believe that “raging black men” and degenerates will cause major problems in the US and that coupled with many other lies including that it causes brain cell atrophy took place in monkeys under “normal” conditions (HAH!.. NOT), THEY PUMPED 60 JOINTS IN 5 MINUTES FOR 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT THROUGH A GAS MASK…if that isn’t oxygen deprivation I don’t know what is and that is the obvious reason for the killing of the brain cells.

Please read OCTA and please stop standing in the way of a brighter future where GOOD people are not in fear of arbitrary arrest and jail time with actual scary people that SHOULD be in jail and are there for GOOD reason.

THANK YOU and please think before you just call us a bunch of “stoner retards”. there are only a small number that go in that category, the rest are just like you and me and I BET YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED HOW MANY PEOPLE THERE ARE THAT PARTAKE IN THIS MISUNDERSTOOD AND WRONGFULLY DEMONIZED PLANT.

7. C says:

I hope Michigan is still working on this. I haven’t heard anything in a while.