Congressional Lawmakers Reintroduce Truth In Trials Act

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director July 19, 2012

It states, “It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution or proceeding under any federal law for marijuana-related activities, which the proponent must establish by a preponderance of the evidence, that those activities comply with state law regarding the medical use of marijuana.”

Fifteen Democrats and three Republicans are sponsoring the measure.

Under present law, federal defendants are legally prevented from presenting evidence at trial that their actions were in compliance with state medical marijuana laws — or even acknowledging the fact that cannabis possesses therapeutic value — because the substance remains classified as a Schedule I prohibited substance under federal law. Passage of the Truth in Trials Act would ease these restrictions.

House Bill 6134 is pending before the House Committee on the Judiciary, which is Chaired by ardent pot prohibitionist Lamar Smith (R-TX).

Advocates can voice their support for The Truth in Trials Act to their members of Congress here.

Of course, this legislation would not even be necessary were the Obama administration simply to have upheld the President’s one-time pledge to no longer use federal “Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws” regulating the physician authorized use and distribution of medical cannabis. You can tell President Obama to halt the administration’s escalating attack on medical cannabis here.

41 Responses to “Congressional Lawmakers Reintroduce Truth In Trials Act”

1. Mark Kazanoff says:

The only reason poloticians don’t legalize it is they can’t figure out how the government is going to get it’s cut out of the business. Too much government. This is suppose to be the land of the free. Wish it would start acting like it.

2. FRANK HERRELL JR says:

I live in Tennessee and would like to have marijuana ligalized because of the medical uses it can provide and a lot of other things it can do besides it is in the BIBLE to smo the seed bearing plant it is in ISAIAH CHAPT 18 VERS, 4,5 AND NOT TO SOUND RUDE BUT WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE GODS PLANTS ILLAGEL.

3. Please let us take our meds and let people who want to use it for recreation use it as well. This is not dangerous like drugs and alcohol. The doctor gave me so many meds that didn’t work and when I finally switched to medical marijuana I was able to get off my daily routine of all the poisonous drugs that the doctor gave me and fell way better for it.

4. sharon J. Horton says:

Dear President Obama, I realize that you are up against the very monied Lobbies of the PharmacueticaL, Alcohol & Tobacco, Law Enforcement & Prison Industries.All of which Stand to Lose a Lot of $$$ if Marijauna was Legalized. I know you are a very Smart Man & You Know what is The RIGHT thing to. S.J. Horton

5. Mark Gonterman says:

I think it is outright barbarak to deny a person a natural remedy for treating PAIN,ANXIETY, DEPRESSION,APPETITE LOSS and many other medical problems.Marijuana is a natural plant that God put on this earth for us to use.Marijuana is not a drug.Our lying government banned it so they could profit from it.I have bone marrow cancer and I live in Alabama where it is illegal to posses marijuana.I have gone through many treatments and take alot of medication, which all make me sick and have a loss of appetite.I know marijuana works and helps but like everything else the POS government wants to tell me I cannot use this plant because they say it is a drug and they(THE ALMIGHTY ONES) say it is illegal.Its time this BS federal law was dropped and its time for the government to get its greedy hands of my body, out of my mouth,and out of my wallet.

6. Bradson says:

To bad the drug laws don’t require prosecutors to show that the “offender” actually caused harm to any person or property.

7. Douglas says:

Smith will not go a long this He will kill or not let it even come up for a vote

8. […] Congressional Lawmakers Reintroduce Truth In Trials Act A bipartisan coalition of Congressional lawmakers yesterday reintroduced federal legislation to provide state-authorized medical marijuana patients and their providers with an affirmative defense from federal prosecution. The legislation, H.R. 6134 –- The Truth in Trials Act (Read the text of the bill here.) –- would allow certain federal defendants the opportunity to “introduce evidence (at trial) demonstrating that the marijuana-related activities for which the person stands accused were performed in compliance with state law regarding the medical use of marijuana.” It states, “It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution […] […]

9. what a kick in our butts, the u.s. government backs 100% of a small south american country in making pot legal, and selling through the countries government and taxing it for education and rehab, but here they throw you in prison wasting millions of tax payers money for a herb not a drug, to protect big insurance companies. just make it legal, tax it and use the money for the same !!!!!

10. Rick says:

Re: A small step in the right direction…Thank you bi-partisan bill sponsors and all in favor of right and just legislation on the topic of Cannabis. I urge those opposed to rethink their opinion again. On the topic of “reefer madness”, at least one study, the LaGuardia Commission study, revealed Cannabis does NOT alter basic personality traits. As i recall, the Schaeffer Commission found no sound reasoning to make using Cannabis in the confines of ones home, a criminal act. Economically, the MANY gains to our ailing economy would be greatly appreciated by ALL. Sales tax revenue (+), decreased Cannabis war spending (+), hemp biofuel (+), hemp plastics (+), alternative medicine (+++).