Marijuana Decriminalization Measure Approved for Fall Ballot in Springfield, MO

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director August 3, 2012

Residents of Springfield, Missouri will likely be voting on a marijuana decriminalization measure this fall. Initiative proponents, Show-Me Cannabis Regulation, submitted their final round of signatures to the city clerk in the past week and received word yesterday that they have met the required threshold of signatures for qualification. On Thursday afternoon, the Springfield City Clerk confirmed the petition has officially qualified with at least 2,132 certified signatures.

The petition now moves to the City Council, which has the opportunity to enact the measure into law as written or place it before voters in Springfield this November. The initiative aims to lower the penalty for possession of 35 grams or less of marijuana, currently a misdemeanor punishable by arrest, to a ticket with a maximum fine of $150.

NORML will keep you updated as this initiative progresses. For information on other Election 2012 reform efforts, check out NORML’s voter guide, Smoke the Vote.

View the campaign’s website here.
    Read more media coverage here.

17 Responses to “Marijuana Decriminalization Measure Approved for Fall Ballot in Springfield, MO”

1. What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity about unpredicted feelings.

2. Bernadine says:

Good way of seeing things – I’m a little more of a black and white guy, myself

3. Lilliana says:

I’d like to invest in this new boom

4. lucas says:

yes its about time im in Kansas city mo will this be for the whole state ? And where and when do I vote please let me know asap thanks

5. Dustin says:

I am perfectly willing to pack up my family, and take my creativity and intellect to a place that wont punish me for smoking an herb. I have no desire to live in a place that can’t respect the rights and privacy of its citizens. I am an asset wherever I go. So I ask, is it worth loosing the best, brightest and most creative minds just to apease a bunch of worthless do nothing conservative liliputians?

6. sheila says:

I thought the Ozarks were very anti pot!!

good luck

7. m1st3r313 says:

I live in cali now but am a former member of the peoples republic of misery, oops missouri. I was actually arrested and jailed for a joint I never had or even got caught with due to a stolen id and the officers just handing out a ticket. That was shitty. You obviously know why I moved to cali, the legalized medical marijuana. It is great for the community and for people suffering from medication pains. I have scoliosis and the pain pills made me sick as hell cannibus on the other only has the side effect of not being able to get past my fridge or my couch. You tell me what’s better please. I say hell yes join the west and blaze your meds not swallow some crappy nausiating pills…………………………………..420