Marijuana Legalization Proponents in Washington Unveil First TV Ad

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director August 6, 2012

The campaign behind I-502, a ballot measure that would end cannabis prohibition in Washington State this fall, unveiled their first TV advertisement in support of the initiative. This commercial kicks off a recently announced million dollar ad campaign, which aims to keep marijuana legalization at the forefront of Washington voters’ minds as we approach November. You can view the ad below:

YouTube Preview Image

Polling data taken in July by SurveyUSA shows an upward swing in support for the initiative, with 55 percent of likely voters approving of the measure, 32 percent opposing, and 13 percent undecided.

Get all the latest information on cannabis law reform in the 2012 Election by viewing NORML’s voter guide, Smoke the Vote, here.

73 Responses to “Marijuana Legalization Proponents in Washington Unveil First TV Ad”

1. The Hemperor says:

Decriminalization Is A Better Idea! ~ SEE: Portugal

2. I think the fact that she does not use cannabis, but shares a pro cannabis argument is a great way to appeal to less open minded people.

I am waiting for the response to this commercial with the recycled video of a bus driver smoking a joint before they pick up some kids.

3. Rich says:

I like the ad – it’s smart to target anti-legalization proponents with facts and benefits that will make sense to them. I think it’s a better ad than the ones running for the similar measure in Colorado.

4. Gary says:

I like the ad myself. Short, to the point, provides some good background. And in my opinion (the most important part) it lacks details. Because the ad is short viewers may question where these points come from and may look into it further, educating themselves and ultimately coming to an informed decision as opposed to a quick decision based off the idea itself.

The fact the person in the video does not enjoy it (“I do not like it myself”) also sides with the non-users that the benefits could outweigh the cons by a large amount!

Well done Washington! (I myself am a Mass. resident)

5. Shaft says:

If you smoke pot, you could become the greatest Olympian in the history of man kind, (Michael Phelps!) Nothing wrong with smoking weed!!!

6. Derek McFarland says:

i agree with what she said we should stop putting people in jail for peddy drug charges that would save money and also the goverment can regulate it and get out off this hole that its in

7. St. Nick says:

I like the ad. She needs to add that “heaviness” to her aura that people who don’t smoke have. We’d all listen more, then. But a really good job no less. I can’t wait till I see my first pro-pot commercial on TV. Just legalize it! 12×35=420 Everyone must get stoned!

8. pfreak says:

Overall I like the spot, but the opening line “I don’t like it personally” didn’t strike me as she doesn’t use marijuana, it comes across as she doesn’t like it and the first thing out of her mouth is basically “this is bad, but we have worse things to worry about”. I’d prefer that line was not in the spot at all. It’s a qualifier and as the first thing heard, the most important take away I had was marijuana smoking is bad, even its supporters say so.

9. Hemperor says:

Portugal is just about to legalize it as well!!!

10. Fireweed says:

She definitely has a conservative look about her, even looks a little like Michelle Bachman