• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director September 12, 2012

A new poll just released by SurveyUSA, shows Washington State’s Initiative 502 is maintaining its commanding lead heading into November. The latest survey data has likely voters in Washington supporting I-502 by a large margin, 57% of respondents stated they planned on voting yes, 34% said they would vote no, and 9% are undecided. Worth noting is, unlike previous polling in other states, I-502 does not seem to have a glaring gap when it comes to support from female voters. 57% of women said they support the measure alongside 58% of men.

WA Poll

88 Responses to “NEW POLL: Washington’s Marijuana Legalization Initiative, I-502, Holds Huge Lead”

1. Doug E Fresca says:

It’s a step in the right direction, but what qualifies as a ” limited possession of marijuana”?

2. i hurt everyday,, I cannot function on all the drugs they put me on,, I dont want to be a couch potato,, I want to particapate in my life,, Free me, free others from being judged, we are not criminals! we dont want to support drug dealers,, give us safe access! in the Name of the People for the People by the people! its a choice and its already been made by many! give them their Life back! God Bless!

3. Mike Parent says:

Great! The Govt is trying to stifle legalization at every turn.. It’s nice to see WA isn’t cowing to their threats. Let them show themselves as the agenda driver Prohibitionist Parasites that they are.

4. Chris in WI says:

Do you know why polls say these things will pass, but they seem to always fail? Duh…

SHOW UP AND VOTE DUMMY! No really go F’in vote you lazy bastards. Baked? Who gives a shit, leave the bud at home and GO VOTE!

This isn’t that hard; we ARE the majority now. No more excuses.. If you don’t vote and I find out I will bitch lap each of you. How hard is this? Ugh!

5. Ben says:

“A state initiative would license and regulate marijuana production, distribution and possession for people 21 and over. It would remove state criminal and civil penalties for limited possession of marijuana, impose an excise tax on marijuana sales and earmark some revenue for substance abuse prevention, research and education. Should the measure be enacted into law?”

Absofarkinglutely.

—–

It seems likely to me that our ‘leaders’,
      those who lead from behind,
      will swing around and have suddenly been
      ‘long-standing supporters of properly legislated legalization’.

—–

Several things, aside from legalization,
      need to be addressed:

1) full plants available to adults
      2) seeds available, and not modified
      (as in, as I understand it, [limited, to be sure], there are crops, agricultural commodities which are genetically altered to not allow re-planting. – They are 1 generational plants.)
      3) there should be no laws barring smoking in one’s one apartment nor home, save, I would argue, not smoking with children ‘under age present’ *(this would have to be set)

I do not want to see this finally realized
      AND YET become a corporate enterprise, solely,
      while homegrowers are hindered with such silliness as some of the laws for the medicinal, (low number of plants, low amount to be carried, etc.)

I want to see this blight corrected,
      and I don’t want to see the laws turn and hose those who then claim their rights.

We need to identify, so please add items here,
      the significant areas in which the laws must protect the future legal adult partakers.

I do not want to see us win, only to lose in the small print.

Good amount set for adults to carry
      High number of plants to be cultivated
      Able to consume in their own residence

Thanks again, NORML,
      for keeping us up to date.
      And thank you to all NORML supporters-
      WE CANNABIS!

6. Fez says:

This makes me so happy

7. […] NEW POLL: Washington’s Marijuana Legalization Initiative, I-502, Holds Huge Lead A new poll just released by SurveyUSA, shows Washington State’s Initiative 502 is maintaining its commanding lead heading into November. The latest survey data has likely voters in Washington supporting I-502 by a large margin, 57% of respondents stated they planned on voting yes, 34% said they would vote no, and 9% are undecided. This is a slight increase in support over SurveyUSA’s previous poll, which had support at 55%, opposition at 32%, and 13% undecided. You can view more details on this latest survey here. A state initiative would […] […]

8. Gweedo says:

I remember when Proposition 19 held a huge lead in California too. Ahead of the election, it was practically a sure thing. But we all see how that turned out. So I’ll believe it when I see it this November.

9. Joel: the other Joel says:

If I did not like marijuana, I would still vote “yes”. The “no” vote brought 40 years of gradual loss of freedom to the point of pure hell caused by the federal government’s inflated ambition to take on full control of everybody’s life.