• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director October 22, 2012

The key to the initiative’s success may be its support amongst typically lagging demographics, such as women and the over 55 crowd. Women are currently supporting I-502 by a 52% to 41% margin and voters over 55 years old support it by a 52% to 38% margin. The highest support group is likely voters who identify or lean Democrat, 72% of whom said they support I-502.

If you live in Washington State there is still time to register. You can register in person to receive your ballot up until October 29th. To find out how, click here and check out the specifics for your current location and you can become a part of making Washington the first state to end marijuana prohibition. View the cross tabs and more data from this poll here.

Learn more about marijuana in the 2012 election by reading NORML’s voter guide, Smoke the Vote.

31 Responses to “15 Days Until the Election, Washington Marijuana Legalization Initiative 502 Still Tracking Towards Victory”

1. Cat Cassie says:

Good for you Washington. At least one of us has a good chance of winning. The numbers are starting to slip a little here in Colorado. I will vote and remain hopeful though.

2. Cannabis is an herb, saying otherwise is absurd!

3. anony says:

How low did it slip for Colorado and Oregon? I read couple days back that Oregon is doing badly and I hope Washington and Colorado don’t slip any further… ugh I knew this would happen just like what happened to Prop 19 back in 2010~ Sigh..

4. St. Nick says:

Wow, Rick Steves is a cool dude in my book. When we lost cable we watched Rick Steves Europe a whole ton. I always liked his attitude and never figured him a stoner since he isn’t dumb which is a stereotype. I will go buy Rick Steves Holland if I can find it. I would love to smoke 2-3 fat doobies in Stonehenge to the head. Godly places.

5. Anonymous says:

Just an Opinion but I think the most important marijauna election this time is the race for the Congressional seat from El Paso. You may remember Beto O’Rourke a legalizer bested his Democrat (prohibitionist)opponent in the primary. If he bests his Republican challenger in November were on our way. If not Congress *( which makes the laws, not the President) will just ignore any State initiatives. Vote O’Rourke

6. Gary says:

One question….Will it be Legal? If 502 passes

7. Douglas says:

Being 56 it really would be nice to see a all out war against cannabis prohibition in Texas. Every one has to come to gather and fight for our rights.

8. […] 15 Days Until the Election, Washington Marijuana Legalization Initiative 502 Still Tracking Towards … Polling released today shows Washington’s I-502, which aims to regulate and tax marijuana use and sales by adults, is still tracking towards victory. With just 15 days left until Election Day, this poll shows the continued trend of support for Washington State’s marijuana initiative. This latest data, released by Strategies 360, has support for I-502 at 54% and opposition trailing at 38%. The key to the initiative’s success may be its support amongst typically lagging demographics, such as women and the over 55 crowd. Women are currently supporting I-502 by […] […]

9. g says:

If weed passes in Washington,Colorado or Oregon, it will be legal as long as you don’t get caught with it ?

10. brentandrews says:

In want to put my money where my mouth is, and support people who don’t think marijuana smoking should be criminal. I have thought about putting a sign in my yard here in Tennessee in November and moving to the First State to Legalize, but that’s not so easy. Probably, I will just change my summer vacation plans and go where the law reflects common sense about marijuana. I am not a high-roller, but Honey and I will spend a couple or three thousand dollars on summer vacation in good times. So, Seattle here we come. We’ll spend money at restaurants, shops, grocery stores, fairly liberally on vacation like everyone else. I think the First State will be in for a huge boost in clean tourism, from people like me who want to support legalization. Let it happen.