• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director November 1, 2012

In what is likely to be one of last polls coming out of Washington State prior to Election Day, Initiative 502 to regulate marijuana is still holding strong to the commanding lead it has developed over the past few months. Data released from King 5 and SurveyUSA has I-502 leading among likely Washington voters, 56% stated they would vote yes on the measure with only 37% planning to vote no. There are just 7% still undecided.

This continues a several month trend of Washington’s I-502 leading in the polling data. A poll released last week by Strategies 360 had the marijuana initiative’s support leading opposition 54% to 38%. King5/SurveyUSA’s previous two polls from October and September had I-502 ahead at 55% to 36% and 57% to 34% respectively.

With just a few days left until November 6th, it seems unlikely the opposition will be able to overcome such a significant gap, putting Washington State on track to be the first state to legalize adult use of marijuana. Though, that may depend on how quickly the votes can be counted. The latest polling out of Colorado had their legalization initiative, Amendment 64, leading 53% to 43%.

Don’t become complacent because victory appears in sight! Check out NORML’s Smoke the Vote Guide to learn all about marijuana in the 2012 election. You can also read our “7 Simple Ways YOU Can Help Legalize Marijuana” and find some quick and easy ways you can help us sprint across the finish line. One of the most important things you can do with the remaining days is call voters in Colorado in support of Amendment 64 by using SSDP/NORML‘s online phone bank or JustSayNow‘s online program.

We WILL legalize marijuana. Let’s start on November 6th.

After publishing this story KCTS9 in Washington released another new Washington State poll. Adding credence to the King5 numbers, KCTS9 found that 55.8% of registered voters were supportive of I-502 with only 36.7% opposed. Those numbers held strong when looking at just likely voters as well, who support the marijuana regulation initiative by 55.4% to 37.6%.

80 Responses to “Final Week Polls Indicate Washington State Likely to Pass Marijuana Legalization”

1. Coinspinner says:

Cripes I’ve lost the ability to sleep until this is all over.

2. Ben says:

Come on America!

– (it should be noted that WHEN marijuana is legalized NORML will have been an outstanding part of this historic movement!)

Thank you, NORML!

3. Alex Newhouse says:

Thank you NORML for everything you have done over the years. This is the year marijuana prohibition begins to crumble. The people of Washington State have had enough. And if we can do it the rest of the world will know that they can do it too.

The battle truly beings November 6, 2012 when Colorado and Washington fire the first shots. Don’t be late!

4. claygooding says:

This will have the government trolls hitting the boards heavy this week,,their attempts at splitting the voters has failed,,,more tax dollars wasted trying to protect their corporate master’s profits and their own bureaucratic budgets.

5. Jason says:

About time this issue was put to rest and we can go on enjoying life. Good job Washington!

6. anony says:

Oh my Goodness… after so many decades and patient waiting could this finally be reality?

I am a California Medical marijuana user and I just have to say, THANK YOU NORML for being so consistent and optimistic all these years.

The Smoke the Vote Guide is well put and all your meticulous efforts are finally paying off for good! I hope Washington and Colorado changes History in just a couple of days.

I am so excited and so hopeful I can’t sleep nor believe this truly happening. When 2010 prop 19 failed in California, I was so devestated I thought nothing would end Marijuana’s terrible prohibition, but We finally might see the end of this gigantic tunnel into a blissful paradise.

I am so happy I can’t even describe how joyful I am. Thank you again NORML! ~Cheers

7. Tom says:

It took one state (NY) to begin the ball rolling of repealing alcohol prohibition. We now get to start the ball rolling with two states :) for the end of cannabis prohibition.

8. Andy says:

When I first heard of Norml in High Times magazine in 1983 I thought this would come much sooner. Now I will be happy if it happens in my life time.

Thanks Normal, thank you responsible smokers!