R.I.P: Marijuana Prohibition

• by Allen St. Pierre, Former NORML Executive Director November 7, 2012

The beginning of the end…has begun.

The citizens of Colorado, Washington and Massachusetts delivered game changing victories last night for the nearly fifty year-old cannabis law reform Movement. Massachusetts becomes the eighteenth state to pass legal protections for qualified medical patients who’ve cannabis recommended to them by a physician. Colorado and Washington become the first places in the world, ever, where citizens have cast votes to reject cannabis prohibition, and replace the failed public policy with alternatives like tax-n-regulate models (similar to the control and taxation models widely accepted for alcohol and tobacco product use by adults).

NORML’s board of directors, staff, chapter network and members congratulate the state-based organizers who planned and worked hard to qualify and pass these important voter initiatives, and we thank the voters of these states for helping to propel the nation to the eventual—if not soon coming—end to cannabis prohibition.

Will there continue to be fits and starts, federal government incursion into state sovereignty and obstinate politicians?

Surely.

However, the die for major cannabis law reforms is now cast.

NORML will continue to be the central hub of information about all things cannabis and yesterday’s victories ensure that 2013 is going to be another landmark year for needed cannabis law reforms.

Thanks to NORML Communications Coordinator Erik Altieri for staffing election coverage and keeping everyone informed up to the minute last evening.

Feeling even better today about the prospects of cannabis legalization? Show your reform pride by making a donation to NORML and your local NORML chapters, receive some NORML apparel, and wear it proudly, letting folks around you know that you’re part of a winning coalition of citizens working to change cannabis laws.

The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel is before us all.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for ending cannabis prohibition laws, which has brought us all to this day.

Kind regards,

Allen St. Pierre
    Executive Director
    NORML
    Washington, D.C.

116 responses to “R.I.P: Marijuana Prohibition”

1. Joel: the other Joel says:

I feel very relieved and happy. It is the medicine I need to live through the next four years of Obama administration. Texas may become the first Republican State to legalize cannabis. I hope that day will come soon.

2. Bradson says:

It’s the very kind of peaceful revolution that this country is supposed to be all about. Will the Feds take the hint or bring in the troops and inflict more violence on it’s own citizens to repress use of this abundantly useful, non-toxic plant?

3. Curative says:

huff and puff and the whole house falls down.
      curativecollective.com

4. Mary says:

AWWWWESOME!!!!!!!
      Tomorrow looks brighter. I shed tears for the many people that have suffered at the hand of the governments plan to keep this natural plant illegal, one because it brought people from different walks of life together peacefully,and two, it has kept their private prisons filled to the proverbial BRIM!! I also look forward to the MANY, MANY talented and smart youth that will be able to live and grow and not be labeled or have their life smudged by a drug charge. Thank you to the strong open-minded people of these states, and in all states pushing for this reform. Thank you!

5. Vincenzo says:

“Libertas inaestimabilis res est” Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
      Godspeed to the overgrow!

6. Anon. says:

Cafes, the new American Cannabis Cup…and oh yeah, driving to the store, buying your bud, taking it home and smoking – all without fear of arrests or search warrants. Ah, to be on the outside looking in. Just gotta wait until the Appalachian neck of the woods puts 2 and 2 together. BTW, here in Tennessee that would be the perfect outdoor growing environment and the big fat piggy bank that is the cannabis industry.

7. […] R.I.P: Marijuana Prohibition The beginning of the end…has begun. Yesterday’s elections have forever changed the playing field regarding cannabis prohibition laws in America (and probably in large parts of the world too). The citizens of Colorado, Washington and Massachusetts delivered game changing victories last night for the nearly fifty year-old cannabis law reform Movement. Massachusetts becomes the eighteenth state to pass legal protections for qualified medical patients who’ve cannabis recommended to them by a physician. Colorado and Washington become the first places in the world, ever, where citizens have cast votes to reject […] […]

8. Rob says:

I don’t see any realistic way for the Feds to stop this? It was easy for them to go after the medical in CA, as it was so regulated. But please give an opinion as to what if anything they can do, as I just don’t trust them.

9. Anony says:

Bravo NORML~ Bravo… Yesterday was one of the most nail biting moments of my life! While I was watching the Election votes on TV, I was glued to the NORML live Blog updates on my laptop!

When Erik posted those 2 states within hours of each other, I cheered, I cried, I gasped. I am so proud and NEVER did I imagine something like this would happen in my lifetime! NEVER! I am proud for Colorado and Washington and may your future be bright and even more happier and blissful~ Cheers =)

10. dtt says:

I think that President Obama is going to allow Colorado and Washington’s citizens to operate in accordance with their state law. The United States is becoming increasingly liberal in its social stances, and he recognizes that this is the beginning of a larger movement. Now that he does not have to worry about re-election, he can quietly support a marijuana movement that he has personally favored all along.