• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director November 15, 2012

“My belief is Washington has worked its will. The voters have spoken,” Inslee stated, “I was not supportive of the initiative but I’m going to be fully supportive of protecting, defending, and implementing the will of the voter—which will essentially allow the use of recreational marijuana in our state.”

In regards to the federal government, the incoming governor encouraged their support. “I will be working to a very rational, mature way to convince the administration that it’s in the best interest, not only of our state, but in our country, to allow our state to move forward in this regard.”

You can view his comments in full here.

It is refreshing, to say the least, to see an elected official going to bat for the voters of their state and defending the will of the people when it comes to marijuana policy. As always, NORML will keep you posted on the ever evolving situation between Washington and Colorado’s new marijuana legalization laws and the federal government.

34 Responses to “WA Governor-Elect Inslee: It is the Best Interest of State and Country to Allow Legalization to Move Forward”

1. Bren says:

Our country needs more governors like Mr. Inslee. “We the people need someone who is not afraid to stand up for us in matters where the will of the people comes first. Most of the governors are money hungary for personal gain and don’t really care about what the majority of the people want.

2. […] WA Governor-Elect Inslee: It is the Best Interest of State and Country to Allow Legalization to Move… During a press conference today, the governor-elect for the state of Washington, Jay Inslee, defended his state’s recently approved marijuana legalization initiative. He stated that he believes it is the best interest “not only of our state, but in our country” for President Obama and the federal government to allow these recently approved measures to move forward. “My belief is Washington has worked its will. The voters have spoken,” Inslee stated, “I was not supportive of the initiative but I’m going to be fully supportive of protecting, defending, and implementing […] […]

3. Evening Bud says:

Somebody wake me up. Surely I’m dreaming.

4. Miles says:

Mr. Inslee has my full respect! I only wish other states had representatives that were even half as intelligent and compassionate. Here in Virginia they won’t even give it a slight chance from what I can tell… Which is why I am going to live this damn state as soon as I can sell my house and get out of here. I’d love to live in Washington or Colorado. Indeed, I’d choose Alaska over Virginia in a heartbeat considering the drug war zealots that seem to reign supreme here. Almost every person I know here in VA would choose legalization if only the Govt here would let us vote on it but they fight it tooth and nail. They’re a bunch of mini-Romneys…

However, if anyone was to try to do anything to derail their cigarettes and booze they’d be in attack dog mode in less than one second…

I may be exagerating, but if so, not by much!

5. Gweedo says:

I didn’t even realize that WA had voted in a new Governor. I thought the current governor had gone to Washington DC the other day to talk with the DOJ about how to move forward.

[Paul Armentano responds: She had, but she is the outgoing Governor.]

6. james says:

don’t get comfy i seen this tactic before ,remember Holder talk to both these guys and never told us what was said.Makes me think they have a backdoor bail out going 😀

7. fester09 says:

I am wondering if it is possible for current Gov. Chris Gregoire to kill I-502 before Inslee takes office?

[Paul Armentano responds: No, it isn’t.]

8. gb says:

They cannot stop the ball without some sort of decree, invalidating the laws and frankly, I think the backlash over thwarting the will of the voters would be much greater than the pot issue itself. I think that would hit home all over the nation. If they do it on this issue, they would do it on other issues that they didn’t agree with. That’s why the state marijuana laws must be respected, whether it’s medical or otherwise. Once we allow the federal government to nullify the will of the voters, we’re finished.

9. Best I can tell the petitions are overfilled. This can’t be ignored much longer. It seems that we are missing a magic word. When the scales finally do tip in favor of legalization. It will be like rats leaving a sinking ship. The politicians will always follow popular opinion.

We can thank NORML for being persistent.

10. Tlc says:

President Obama said he has a tax mandate as bestowed by the will of the people. By comparison,if the Federal government attempts to nullify the will of the voters, thus nullifying their authority, by what authority does the government rule?