Will Illinois Become The 19th State To Allow For The Medical Use of Marijuana?

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director November 19, 2012

Illinois state lawmakers are expected in the coming days to once again consider legislation that seeks to allow for the limited use of cannabis by authorized patients.

During a special ‘veto session’ to be held later this month, House members are expected to vote on House Bill 30, which seeks to establish a pilot program to allow for the state-authorized distribution of cannabis to patients with qualifying medical conditions. Previous roll calls have demonstrated legislative support in the House to be just shy of a majority. That said, today’s political landscape is far different now than it was in 2011 — the last time Illinois House members debated this issue. If you reside in Illinois, you can view the 2011 roll call on HB 30 via the Marijuana Policy Project here. If your House member is among those voting ‘no’ on HB 30, then it is vital that you write or call him/her today and urge him/her to vote ‘yes’ on HB 30. House contact information, along with a prewritten letter in support of HB 30, is available from NORML here.

Eighteen states — Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington and the District of Columbia — have enacted laws qualified protecting medical marijuana patients from state prosecution. Seriously ill citizens in Illinois are only a handful of votes away from gaining this same protection.

NORML will continue to update you on the progress of HB 30 in Illinois. To receive legislative alerts regarding pending cannabis law reform measures in your state, sign up for NORML News Alerts here.

20 Responses to “Will Illinois Become The 19th State To Allow For The Medical Use of Marijuana?”

1. Toni Marley says:

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression about 10 yrs ago. Ive been on zoloft, wellbutrin, xanax, ativan, etc etc etc and some of tjem have worked but with many side affex…when I started smoking marijuana, my appetite came back, I felt more relaxed, and I can be myself. Everyone around me said id become much more fun n good to be around. I smoked for about 4 years. Now I back to IL, and have not been smoking…back on my meds but I feel like im going in circles….so hopefully marijuana is legalized here. I am not addicted to it. Not by far. But, there is a difference in my life without it.

What I dont understand is how people can pop pills all day…but a natural herb like marijuana is a ‘drug’….hm *ponders*

2. Kona Alii says:

Educate yourself & your law makers & read real research, NOT propaganda. The crap the US govt puts out isnt worth the ink to print it, let alone the paper. Read independent current data.

3. Green Brad says:

Yes go Illinois. I sure hope they do legalize it I need a job and some green meds.
      Bad arthritis for a few years now…go HB 30!

4. drummerboy says:

If marijuana was legal in Texas, my wife could do away with her constant need for hydrocodone to help with the never ending chronic pain she is in. My wife, 26 years old, has lupus, and has suffered kidney failure caused by the lupus. Being on dialysis 3x a week takes a major toll on her body giving her nothing but excruciating pain. Docs wont give her the meds she needs because shes at the point now where 2x a day isnt enough. The pills are going to kill her before the lupus does. Please legalize marijuana so my wife can get through her days naturally while she finds a kidney donor. And those of yall reading, please pray for her as well. She needs to be the mother she needs to be and needs to be there to watch our 3 1/2 year old grow up.

5. I love plants says:

I hope Pennsylvania decides it wants to be the 20th state or 21st .. Who knows but one can hope and dream I guess

6. Chad Greenlevy says:

I truly hope Illinois does legalize it, no offense but that state has suffered too much corruption and the police has had their eyes on Marijuana because they get paid more to bring non threatening people to jail, rather than the serial killers and serious offenders who walk the streets.

7. Kona Alii says:

To one and all PLEASEEE read a book expressing the latest findings from valid research. Research has been made extremely difficult in the USA because the DEA has forced rules to prevent federal funding of legitimate research unless one address to only find negative results of marijuana use. However “MARIJUANA GATEWAYGATEWAY TO HEALTH” is full of healthy results of marijuana use. Read it. Give copies to you legislators.Good luck to our efforts. Wee all must get of our collectives asses & take action. Write, call our political reps everyday until they’re tired of hearing from us and do their jobs.

8. jimmyjo says:

Take a good look around to the other states the have made medical marijuana legal , Guess what ? The SKY did not fall! We need it here in Illinois ! Just think of potential of the sick people that could and will benefit from this !! And it will help just take that much more profit from drug cartels and give it to the people that need it ! we do ,the funds generated will boost ILLINOISIANS economy!!

9. jim says:

Thank you norml for breaking this story!!! Only medical marijuana news source i use!!!!
      I myself Support NORML IN ILLINOIS!!! YOU guys ROCK!!!! Keep up the good works !!!! SOUTHERN ILLINOIS SUPPORTS YOU!!!!