• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director December 18, 2012

During an interview with HuffPo Live yesterday, Newark Mayor and potential gubernatorial candidate Cory Booker made some very strong statements in favor of drug law reform. When asked about medical marijuana, a program that was approved in his state, but has been slow in implementation, Mayor Booker spoke strongly in favor of allowing patients access to cannabis, but thought we could do even more:

Medical marijuana, heck yes. I do not understand that there are drugs that are more toxic, more dangerous and more challenging, in drugs stores around my state, yet we single out this one drug and we say you can’t even have it in a medical fashion, at a time when I see prescription drugs from Adderall to you name it being used widely across our nation…

The reason I said I want to go beyond that…is because of the drug war.

We have seen so much of our national treasure being spent in the national drug war and in my opinion have turned human life into incarceration, trapping into poverty…

What I’ve seen in Newark is a massive trap in this drug war, and its not just a trap for the individuals being arrested, it’s a trap for taxpayers, communities and towns. We’re not making our nation safer with this assault on this drug war, we are not making our state less addicted to substances. We need to change, radically change, the conversation and begin to talk about drugs, especially drugs like pot, in a different way.

This is a conversation that no matter what I do, Mayor, Governor, Senator, I want to be one of the people, hopefully, trying to lead the national conversation away from this insanity that we have now.

View the full interview here.

Mayor Booker isn’t the only prominent Democrat with higher political aspirations embracing the idea of marijuana law reform. This year, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo came out strongly in favor of fully decriminalizing marijuana possession in his state and Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin voiced his desire to be a national leader pushing to change our country’s draconic marijuana policies. Even former presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have recently criticized the War on Drugs as a failed effort, with President Carter going as far as endorsing full legalization.

So, President Obama, do you want to be on the right or wrong side of history? Your party, and the nation, are moving towards regulated marijuana whether you aid in its implementation or not. It is becoming more and more obvious that the Democratic presidential candidate in 2016, and possibly even the Republican, will not only be critical of the war on drugs, but will likely support progressive reforms such as decriminalization or legalization. There are still four years left in your second term, Mr. President, don’t let them pass you by and have to look back and think what you could’ve done.

36 Responses to “Newark Mayor Cory Booker: Medical Marijuana? Heck Yes..But I Want To Go Beyond That”

1. Ricy Mardona says:

After going through this great content i came to know lots of things which will help me to enrich my knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

2. Michael Miller says:

I’m really to the point anymore where I don’t care what anyone thinks because I know that if they are for prohibition, they are simply ignorant. Hell I was for 40 years. I was in a VFW the other night and some older lady, about 60, was listening in on a conversation I was having with a friend. Everybody there was drinking and having a good time and I said to my friend loudly, “I’m gonna go get high!” The lady’s eyes almost popped out of her head… as she kept drinking her rum and coke. It’s just hilarious to me anymore. The hypocrisy, the idiocy, the ignorance… and it’s all due to the decades of propaganda and brainwashing.

3. Michael Miller says:

I got in a debate the other night with a friend of mine but she really isn’t well studied on the topic. She has spent her entire life listening to the propaganda surrounding Cannabis and she is very hard headed. Oh well… I still love her and I’m going to keep working on her.

4. john dykhuizen says:

you may be dreaming about pot being considered for decrim or legalization in Fla…I live in Polk County which has a ”good ole boy”sheriff who is a bit of a cult hero…these folks buy into his whole ”shtick”…hes gonna protect Polk County from all the marijuana (which of course leads to all those other drugs) but by golly Grady,you aint gonna outlaw Alcohol or tobacco are ya? mmmmmm…the dangers are documented …why then Grady arent you saving Polk County from Alcohol and tobacco? Have a beer and get back to us!!

5. bill says:

6. Richard says:

Cory Booker is following the true path, period.

@everyone: it’s really great to see how the debate on the subject is opening up!

If we would find a way how to let our joint actions outweigh our individual (un-)spoken words, dealing with this problem would be a piece of cake.

All things natural should be legal and unregulated. Nature has its own set of rules that we should not mess with.

*oh, and in the meanwhile, I’m treating my IBD with ‘Rick Simpson’s Hemp Oil’. I prefer that to incurring another depression caused by pharmaceutical anti-inflamatory drugs such as prednison. Yes, I know it’s illegal. No, I don’t care. I know the truth and I am ready. We’ll start by having a cup of tea (or coffee, whatever) and light up a joint that Tommy Chong would be proud of… 😉