• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director February 8, 2013

kenVirginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, Tea Party favorite and presumed Republican candidate for Governor, opened up on his views regarding marijuana legalization while addressing a group of students at the University of Virginia this week.

When asked how he felt about Colorado and Washington legalizing the adult use and commercial production and sale of marijuana in November, the conservative politico caught many off guard with his answer.

“I don’t have a problem with states experimenting with this sort of thing I think that’s the role of states,” Cuccinelli stated, “I’m not sure about Virginia’s future [re: marijuana legalization], but I and a lot of people are watching Colorado and Washington to see how it plays out.”

Twice during the talk Attorney General Cuccinelli referred to his views on the subject as “evolving.”

You can view video footage of this event here.

38 Responses to “Virginia’s Tea Party Backed Attorney General Cuccinelli “Evolving” on Marijuana Legalization”

1. jeff snyder says:

i wouldnt trust this guy as far as i can throw my house..he didnt tell me anything about anything..he answered like the jerk politician he is..he said something that means nothing..he is a liar

2. jeff snyder says:

3. Stone Mountain says:

@Evening Bud

I do understand, I must restrain myself quite a bit while reading here, I just wish more would do the same.

“Do those other off-subject diatribes bother you ”

Absolutely, and nearly of them (even the articulate ones), do more damage then good in my opinion.

4. Joe Blow says:

@ anonymous

Can those who like to hid abortion behind the rape excuse please quit that? W all know that for the vast majority of abortions, that is NOT the reason. That being said, I love the adoption comment, except for one thing. As a relative of several couples that want to adopt, the government makes it a total pain in the ass and prohibitively expensive.

So here’s my idea: swap out abortion clinics for adoption clinics. Show girls they can give their baby and themselves a good life, without the need to just get rid of the kid. Rant over.

And to get back on topic, I hope this guy is really considering marijuana legalization. It’s about time that the government started digging out of debt using a proven cash crop. They can even save money not having to pay prison bills for pot-smokers or DEA agents to waste their time chasing a harmless drug. Start taxing it coming into the country, tax it going out of the shop. Put up billboards showing all the big bad associated health risks. Just make it legal.

5. Eric Halsey says:

This guy is a states vs federal gov guy. He would have each state make their own decisions on way more than just this issue. Do not confuse this with him supporting a change in cannabis law in Virginia. These comments are pandering after the Right wing States Rights crowd. Smaller Government. I am not against smaller gov but at what cost? Will this guy and his supporter be there for anyone other than the fat cats that want to isolate groups through gerrymandering and redistricting. NO! They would have the Potheads move to one of 10 states where their votes are concentrated into specific senatorial jurisdiction. This give his party more power.

6. Dave Evans says:

I feel you really should only have the right to oppose abortion rights after you’ve abopted a child. I can actually respect someone in that position; you know someone that backs up what they say with their actions. If you oppose all abortions, then go adopt or please shut up. Thanks.

7. Dave Evans says:

It is all connected. First, the main problem we the people have is a government filled with people that don’t understand or follow the constitution. They feel it gives them the liberty to shove all their bullshit down everyone else’s throats! Look, conservatives are not supposed to be trying to get everyone to follow “Christian based laws”. It is horrible and un-American! Why the hell should folks that aren’t Christian be forced to subsidize Christian Laws??? We need conservatives to focus on being conservative, not theocratic or fascist! The abortion debate is being mutated by this. Look, your religion may impose certain restrictions on your behavior, but please stop “believing” your beliefs also need the police enforcing them. It is your religion, and it only should affect you and your family directly.

Stop trying to trick/force everyone to subsidize your bullshit. As soon as you do, you stop being a “conservative”.

8. Evening Bud says:

@ Stone Mountain,

I agree with you; I’m the “Anonymous” who responded to “Liberty” on the abortion discussion. (Didn’t realize my moniker was no longer there when I posted.)

I actually DO prefer to keep the discussions on point–marijuana. But, since so many seem to want to voice their opinions on other subjects, big govt, Obama, taxes, etc etc etc–and since the good people at NORML allow posters to do that, I feel obligated to respond in kind. Do those other off-subject diatribes bother you too, or just the abortion issue?