Federal Legislation Reintroduced to Legalize and Reschedule Medical Cannabis

• by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director February 15, 2013

Members of Congress reintroduced legislation this week to protect state-authorized medical marijuana patients from federal prosecution.

House Bill 689, the States’ Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act, would ensure that medical cannabis patients in states that have approved its use will no longer have to fear arrest or prosecution from federal law enforcement agencies. It states, “No provision of the Controlled Substances Act shall prohibit or otherwise restrict in a State in which marijuana may be prescribed or recommended by a physician for medical use under applicable State law.”

The measure also calls for the federal government to reclassify cannabis so that it is no longer categorized as a Schedule I prohibited substance with no accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. It states: “Not later than one year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration shall, based upon the recommendation under paragraph (1), issue a notice of proposed rulemaking for the rescheduling of marijuana within the Controlled Substances Act, which shall include a recommendation to list marijuana as other than a Schedule I or Schedule II.”

In January, a three-judge panel for the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia denied petitioners request to overturn the Obama administration’s July 2011 rejection of an administrative petition that sought to initiate hearings regarding the reclassification of marijuana under federal law.

Separate federal legislation, House Bill 710: The Truth in Trials Act, which provides an affirmative defense in federal court for defendants whose actions were in compliance with the medical marijuana laws of their state was also reintroduced this week in the US House of Representatives.

Those who wish to contact their member of Congress in support of these federal measures can do so by clicking here.

58 Responses to “Federal Legislation Reintroduced to Legalize and Reschedule Medical Cannabis”

1. Anonymous says:

funny how crooked law makers and politicians know more about medicine than doctors…

2. Greg says:

I am currently not a marijuana smoker. I did smoke on a regular basis for several years. I recently (March 2012) quit, with no addiction problem…. No surprise!!! I did not quit because of any preference or problem, but rather the company I work for does random drug testing. I do miss it quite a bit and think it is ridiculous for a business to test for this as a drug. I also think my home state of Nebraska needs to jump on board with reform. I am a prime example that this is not addictive, dangerous, or anything else that may classify marijuana as a DRUG….. Quite absurd!!!!!! Long live marijuana and its wonderful uses and lets all hope Federal government can get their heads out of their holes!!!!

3. St. Nick says:

If all drugs are bad, marijuana is not a drug.

4. Jim Eb Navy VET says:

As Proud Service Connected Disabled American Veteran & survivor of a TBI “Traumatic Brain Injury” I can testify to the Medical Values of marijuana as well !!! America could get so much from the rescheduling of cannabis!!! All of my Doctor out at my Local VA Hospital here in SO.CALF KNOW!!! I am a medicinal marijuana user but it is NEVER talked about because of this WRONG LAW we currently about marijuana. Look forward to Navy Veteran EB helping change the marijuana Laws

5. scott says:

This is a very big step in the mary world and I can’t wait for this to become standard. I dream of having the right to grow and smoke and to not have to be on edge or always looking in the rear view mirror so to speak!! I believe one day the government will finally pull there head out of there holes and realize the benefits of making it completely legal!! Generating jobs, more taxes for them “would help our debt crisis a lot or just using the money for countless and endless opportunities literally!! If you ask me.. I don’t know what is taking so damn long for these guys to do the math and to see how this legalization could help our country in so many ways!! I could go on and on!!

6. Ricy Mardona says:

Nice content please keep sharing.

7. Knighthawk says:

“I was always taught growing up that this was a free country. ”

Not to go off topic…but don’t believe everything your told. You were taught to believe an illusion for the most part, particularly if you are < 30.

8. scott blow says:

Let’s get it done , let’s get it over with, let’s organize a march on Wash D.C. 1 million strong 4/20/13 and lite 1 million blunts at once to send the biggest smoke signal for freedom ever seen ! This is the year and this CAN BE DONE !