Take Action to End Marijuana Prohibition!

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Executive Director March 12, 2013

Last month, Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO) introduced legislation, House Resolution 499, which would effectively end the federal prohibition on marijuana and allow states to set their own policies.

House Resolution 499: The Ending Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013, would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, transfer the Drug Enforcement Administration’s authority to regulate marijuana to a newly renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana and Firearms, require commercial marijuana producers to purchase a permit, and ensure that federal law distinguishes between individuals who grow marijuana for personal use and those involved in commercial sale and distribution.

You can read the full text of this measure here.

Congress needs to hear from you, please take a minute and click here to quickly and easily write your Representative and urge him or her to support the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013!

CLICK HERE TO WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVE

50 Responses to “Take Action to End Marijuana Prohibition!”

1. Charles Queen says:

The big problem with this one is that it leaves it up to individual states and not nation wide which is the only way this can work.If it’s left up to the states it accomplishes nothing at all and the criminal element is still there and that’s the main thing we want to eliminate completely so it has to be a nation wide bill/law to legalise it and not just leaving it up to a state

2. Haley M. says:

I truly hope this act passes. I’m tired of having to hide my use of marijuana from everyone because its illegal and it “looks bad”, but no one really understands how it has helped me with depression, stress, and anxiety. I have been self medicating myself in an illegal state for over a year now and I can definitely see an improvement in not only my school work but in myself. Not to mention smoking weed is just awesome :3 END THE PROHIBITION!

3. JJ says:

Already wrote both my senators and my representative…Tom Harkin, Chuck Grassley, and Steve King…all stupid republicans…all said the exact same thing…gateway drug, dangerous for kids, bla bla bla…
      Why is it that legalizing marijuana sends the wrong message to children, but the colorful commercials by McDonalds, capri sun, and basically all sugary, unhealthy foods are able to advertise toward children when the number one problem in children these days is obesity? Hell, you even get a toy inside happy meals….fuck this Congress….im voting blue no matter what…then when all the red is gone, its time for people like Gary Johnson and others to re-establish the GOP and the real basis of the Republican foundation..which is Freedom of choice…
      and soon, im moving to Oregon…fuck Iowa

4. OldGuy says:

Charles and JJ, I agree with both of you and think that conservatives have become hypocrites toward freedom and the basics of the constitution. I have to add that the liberals are just as bad and want to regulate everything that the conservatives dont.

I refuse to vote red or blue out of contempt for the broken system we have. Everyone I know says I am wasting my vote and I respond that they are sellouts to their own beliefs that both parties are puppets to corporate manipulation and greed. We are not a nation of individuals anymore we are a nation of corporations and everyone else are slaves to their profits.

I want to see cannabis legal NATIONALLY but in order to do that I have to vote for individuals that what to take away other rights that I do not want to give up. Either way we get screwed. The lesser of two evils just does not fly anymore if you actually believe in personal freedom with laws that penalize criminals not criminalize behavior that you do not like.

5. Nathaniel says:

This is precisely how alcohol prohibition ended: one by one, state by state prohibition ended because the people spoke. The feds had no choice but to allow state laws to stand. It will be no different here.
      The key is to continue to put pressure on local, state, and federal legislators. Start voting for candidates that are pro-regulation/taxation, get on the streets and protest, stand on corners with billboards with links to where folks can get more info about the issue [NORML site :)], start mailing pamphlets using the white pages, cold call homes with a survey and send the information you record to aforementioned legislators, head to town halls/city councils and voice your opinion, get chain emails going, etc etc, and always encourage friends to assist you.
      The people of Washington and Colorado spoke, let’s ride their coattails into a new era.

6. Maintain the massive underground economy built around MJ.Support the prohabition premium

7. Ken S says:

Wtf does political association have to do with any of this people. Its about doing the right thing. Pointing fingers will not get you anywhere but piss off mass amounts of people and that’s it. I’m a republican and conservative and I probably smoke more pot than both of you. Grow a effen brain morons.

8. Joel: the other Joel says:

Allowing states to set their own policies is not a big problem. The problem has always been the closed minded federal prohibitionist.

9. Angel rod says:

Legalize it tax it properly like cigs or beer the crime will ho down and cops can focus on getting the real harmful drugs off the streets like crack or cocaine

10. burny says:

I totally agree with you Nathaniel.One idea I had the other day is to get the info together on cannabis curing cancer and how it works.Then head over to your local cancer center and pass this info out to cancer patients.Making up signs talking about the benefits of cannabis,and stick them all over town nonchalantly.A sharpie in the restroom.Comments on stories about people with a illness or condition that cannabis provides relief from in your local papers online.We need to get the word out everywhere That cannabis is a very healthy herb to consume,every way that we can.