Bill to Legalize and Regulate Marijuana Introduced in Alabama

• by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Director April 5, 2013

Many traditionally write off the Southern United States as an area dead to cannabis law reform, but one Representative is behind a new effort that can change all of that.

This week, Rep. Patricia Todd (D-Birmingham) has introduced House Bill 550, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013. This measure would legalize the possession of up to one ounce of marijuana and the cultivation of up to 12 mature marijuana plants by those over the age of 21. It would also authorize the Department of Revenue to establish marijuana retail outlets. You can read the full text of the measure here.

As many of you have seen, yesterday, Pew Research released new polling data that revealed, for the first time in data from a US based polling firm, that Americans support legalizing marijuana by over 50%. The survey found that 52% support legalization and only 45% were opposed. This is no longer just an issue relegated to states such as those on the West Coast and Colorado, traditionally considered bastions of marijuana law reform, this support is now nationwide.

As it very well should be, marijuana prohibition is a failed policy that squanders hundreds of millions of tax dollars a year, inversely affects society’s underprivileged, violates civil liberties, and fuels a violent, criminal black market responsible for countless deaths on our border as well as our local communities.

If states such as the traditionally conservative Alabama are beginning the discussion around alternatives to our failed prohibition of marijuana, the collapse of the drug war machine and its war on a green plant cannot be too far behind.

ALABAMA: If you live in Alabama click here to easily write your Representative and urge him or her to support this legislation!

89 Responses to “Bill to Legalize and Regulate Marijuana Introduced in Alabama”

1. greengoblin420 says:

So many of us suffer buying it illegally risking much more than just jail time sometimes just to get a bag for a chronic pain or sickness or both I my case is ridiculous. I and my fionce refuse to take chemically altered substances and risk physical health issues from them while a puff of a plant solves major issues. Please legalize, don’t be selfish, alcohol and pills are useless. If you don’t over eat McDonalds then don’t push poisons on us that think the same things of chemically altered medical substances. Hear me now and understand me later, this would be a problem solver for both sides.

2. Anonymous says:

I believe we should try this again.

3. Walter says:

If it was legalized in all 50 states there would no longer be drug cartels from other countries smuggling into the US and in fact there would be less crime I had rather meet 20 people smoking and driving them one drinking and driving that’s my opinion

4. papa j says:

this is 9 major reasons we need weed.

2. For the effect of THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), the main active chemical in marijuana.

3. To relieve the stress, anxiety, fear, pain or anger related to personal, psychological or family issues.

4. Popular culture endorses marijuana use.

5. Low perception of harm.

6. The opportunity to try marijuana presents itself.

7. Peer, family or role model influence.

8. People use marijuana because they were born with or develop certain personality dimensions, such as unconventionality, which make marijuana use non-taboo.

9. Curiosity.

10. To relax.

5. jacob webb says:

we need weed to help the drug atics not get on higher drugs it will be like it is now with cigerettes some people smoake and ome don’t and by the way anyone could get it if the wont it the government is stupid bc all they are doing it loosing taxes that they arnt making

6. annoymous says:

This is a plant that Jesus used to anoint folks , this is a cannabis oil from a plant that can kill Cancer & other medical conditions . This could be utilized medically.

7. John says:

To all who want marijuana legal!

The fight is not with the state you live in our want to move to. The only way to get mary jane, herb etc. legal is for the Federal Goverment to change its federal law on marijuana once this happens other states will not be afraid and there by state laws will change

8. barbara says:

arrest for small amounts of marijuana can ruin lives. I would quit cig. if I could buy joints.

9. Dave harper says:

Advantages are………
      Opens my air way. Copd.
      Calms my manic bi polar disorder.
      Urges me to eat and helps my ulcerated stomach.
      Helps the pain in my neck and back.
      Stops intrusive thinking.
      Allows me to be more social.